PDA

View Full Version : Gearing Experts Please Help!

07ROUSHSTG3
03-23-2007, 11:31 AM
ok here is the dilema i am in. i have the stock 3.55s in my stage 3 and want to do a swap. the problem i am having is trying to figure out what gear to go to. i think 3.73s would be a waste of money, and in trying to stick with all FORD or ROUSH parts i am left with the only other option being 4.10s. Is there a way to calculate how much top speed i am going to lose? what i mean is right now at 65 mph i am at 2000 rpms, is there a way to use this info to calculate what rpm i will be at at 120 mph? at 80 i beleive i am at 3400 rpms. the other option i have is to go and buy a nonford part and get the MOTIVE 3.90's. can any one help me out.

Teufelhunden
03-23-2007, 11:39 AM
This is all you need: http://www.corral.net/tech/gearcalc.html

Second look, I may not have your trans as a selection, I don't know much about those 3Vs...

Prince Valiant
03-23-2007, 11:42 AM
well, provided that you are being accurate that 65+2000 rpms, then it's simple arithmatic

So, (2000/65)*80=2461 rpm's NOT 3400rpm's

120 mph translates to 3692rpm's

And of course, if you were using 3.90's the rpms at 120 would be 4056rpms and 4.10's translates to 4264rpms

Of course, what you really need is a gear calculator like this one (http://users.erols.com/srweiss/calcmph.htm). You'll need your tire diameter too. But this will allow you to figure your rpm's in different gears, using different ratio's pretty easy.

EDIT: NUEWMAN![/sienfeld]

07ROUSHSTG3
03-23-2007, 11:48 AM
yes you are right, i was wrong about the 80 mph, i mistyped it. it shows 2400 on my tach.

07ROUSHSTG3
03-23-2007, 11:52 AM
This is all you need: http://www.corral.net/tech/gearcalc.html

Second look, I may not have your trans as a selection, I don't know much about those 3Vs...

thanks, that solved the problem. looks like i am going with the 4.10s. was just worried that 4.10 would suck at road america when it came to the LOOOONG straights

pickardracing
03-23-2007, 11:56 AM
I personally wouldnt put higher than 3.73's in that car, seeing as how it's a blower car, but that's purely personal preference.

07ROUSHSTG3
03-23-2007, 12:11 PM
I personally wouldnt put higher than 3.73's in that car, seeing as how it's a blower car, but that's purely personal preference.

can you elaborate? thanks

Teufelhunden
03-23-2007, 12:40 PM
^^^Relative to drag racing:
Depending on your max rpm and your higher trap speeds, with 4:10s your may have to shift from 4th to 5th or end up bouncing it off the limiter. I don't know what your HP #'s are but that obliviously effects your trap speed.

07ROUSHSTG3
03-23-2007, 12:57 PM
^^^Relative to drag racing:
Depending on your max rpm and your higher trap speeds, with 4:10s your may have to shift from 4th to 5th or end up bouncing it off the limiter. I don't know what can of HP you're making but that obliviously effects your trap speed.

right now i am at about 425 horse at the flywheel. i plan on getting a smaller blower pulley and a retune in the next few weeks to put me around 440 horse. when my warranty expires i plan on getting a custom tune, headers, cold air intake, and some pulleys to put me pretty close to 500 horse. i can always keep the 3.55s and swap back i suppose:confused

Want_Notch
03-23-2007, 01:00 PM
I think you would be just fine with 4.10's at RA. If it were a drag orientated car I would go with 4.56's.

Although with a roots type blower I would think 4.56's might be a little steep, anyways, 4.10's will work fine for you.

Reverend Cooper
03-23-2007, 07:43 PM
410s in mine is at 3000 rpm in 5th at 83mph. i wish i had gone with 430s. my car still burries the speedo with ease. mine putting down 450 at the wheels yours is around 365 at the wheels. i say go a bit steeper 430s would be a good choice

07ROUSHSTG3
03-23-2007, 08:46 PM
well i ordered the 4.10s and from what i have been hearing is that my warranty will be lost. even if the work is done by a ford mechanic, ANY change to the cars powertrain voids ROUSHs' warranty. oh well, looks like I won't have to wait for the rest of the mods!!

Reverend Cooper
03-23-2007, 09:04 PM
blah. its all in who your work with at the dealership

07ROUSHSTG3
03-23-2007, 09:13 PM
problem is i work at the dealership so my chances of getting a break are pretty slim,LOL. (and yes I am serious)

Reverend Cooper
03-23-2007, 09:16 PM
that sucks big time. im happy with the dealership i have been working with. i think they enjoy working with me as i with them. unfortunately some of the mods i have done they really have no control over with warranty.

Lash
03-23-2007, 09:16 PM
07...You work at a dealer and are worried about warranty problems??? lol

07ROUSHSTG3
03-23-2007, 09:20 PM
You work at a dealer and are worried about warranty problems??? lol

yes and there is good reason to. if i worked in the service dept i would not worry, but sales and service are two entirely seperate entities here. they are out to make their books look good for FORD, not to help me out:( . we are constantly under scrutiny from FORD for our warranty claims.

Lash
03-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Well.....you need to make friends with the guys in the service department...lol.

HITMAN
03-23-2007, 09:33 PM
410s in mine is at 3000 rpm in 5th at 83mph. i wish i had gone with 430s. my car still burries the speedo with ease. mine putting down 450 at the wheels yours is around 365 at the wheels. i say go a bit steeper 430s would be a good choice

Yeah, I just ran the numbers and a 4.30 gear would be about perfect for his combo right now, but given where he might be when he's down the mod road further, the 4.10 will probably be a better choice for the future. 425hp probably translates to a 115 mph trap speed. If you use a 4.30 gear and you figure you want to cross the finish line near red line (6500 rpm) in 4th gear with a 26" tall tire, then the 4.30 is perfect. But if you figure in another 50-75 hp, then you want to have room to grow without having to add another speed killing shift. 6500 rpm with a 26" tire and 4.10 gears will give you a 123 mph finish line speed.

Good job on the gear choice, 07ROUSHSTG3. However, I can't believe that the service manager at the dealer you work at won't look the other way, especially considering it's just a gear swap. How anal can they possibly be, considering you're a fellow employee? Employee × Gear swap ÷ Voided warranty = Teh Ghey

Slow Joe
03-23-2007, 09:36 PM
It's EVS, they're horrible when it comes to warranty stuff on modded cars...

Slow Joe
03-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Eh, then again I shouldn't jump to conclusions like that... I guess most dealerships are come to think of it...

07ROUSHSTG3
03-23-2007, 09:42 PM
How anal can they possibly be, considering you're a fellow employee? Employee × Gear swap ÷ Voided warranty = Teh Ghey

it really isn't the service managers fault. we have been in hot water from FORD for a while now because of our warranty work claims, not sure why but that is the case. the auditors were just here not too long ago going over every service order. the warranty on my ROUSH is through ROUSH not FORD. ROUSH boots the bill on the powertrain in the event of a warranty claim. in order to have my speedo recalibrated i have to change the STOCK ROUSH component, thus voiding my warranty. From what i have been told ROUSH does not want people messing with the stock setup so they don't even tell the dealerships the exact tune. i have heard of people taking there ROUSH in and the service department plugging in and wiping out the ROUSH tune, thus resulting in the PCM having to be sent in and having to be reflashed by ROUSH. I am sure that if i leave the factory speedo setting in it would not be a problem, ROUSH would never know and warranty would remain intact, the guys here would turn there heads about the gear no problem. when it comes to any reprogramming though that is where it gets fuzzy.

07ROUSHSTG3
03-23-2007, 09:42 PM
It's EVS, they're horrible when it comes to warranty stuff on modded cars...

:thumbsup

pickardracing
03-23-2007, 09:46 PM
How anal can they possibly be, considering you're a fellow employee? Employee × Gear swap ÷ Voided warranty = Teh Ghey

it really isn't the service managers fault. we have been in hot water from FORD for a while now because of our warranty work claims, not sure why but that is the case. the auditors were just here not too long ago going over every service order. the warranty on my ROUSH is through ROUSH not FORD. ROUSH boots the bill on the powertrain in the event of a warranty claim. in order to have my speedo recalibrated i have to change the STOCK ROUSH component, thus voiding my warranty. From what i have been told ROUSH does not want people messing with the stock setup so they don't even tell the dealerships the exact tune. i have heard of people taking there ROUSH in and the service department plugging in and wiping out the ROUSH tune, thus resulting in the PCM having to be sent in and having to be reflashed by ROUSH. I am sure that if i leave the factory speedo setting in it would not be a problem, ROUSH would never know and warranty would remain intact, the guys here would turn there heads about the gear no problem. when it comes to any reprogramming though that is where it gets fuzzy.

Talk to Coop (sonicblueroush), I'm sure he's been up and down this road already.

HITMAN
03-23-2007, 09:50 PM

Eh, you should be running an SCT tune in that thing, anyway. Buy an Xcal, have Marv at C&M set it up, have him put the gears in and nobody at the stealership is any wiser. When the tune from the Xcal is installed it, it just stores what ever comprises a stock tune. That way, should you need to warranty the car, just put the "stock" tune back in. :thumbsup

07ROUSHSTG3
03-23-2007, 10:05 PM
that is the advice coop gave me, will be calling marv first thing monday! thanks guys!

Breecher_7
03-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Do the swap yourself, DONT TELL the dealership and you will be the only one that knows. So your assed out if you blow the diff down the road....oh well.....shouldnt have it if you cant afford to fix it!

By the way, i think i saw you on sunnyslope in new berlin to day around 4:30

Reverend Cooper
03-23-2007, 11:42 PM
yeah i didnt buy mine to keep it stock. or to worry about breaking stuff. if it breaks repl. it with better quality parts

07ROUSHSTG3
03-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Do the swap yourself, DONT TELL the dealership and you will be the only one that knows. So your assed out if you blow the diff down the road....oh well.....shouldnt have it if you cant afford to fix it!

By the way, i think i saw you on sunnyslope in new berlin to day around 4:30

could not have been me, i was bored at work all day surfing BCM:thumbsup

Poncho
03-24-2007, 12:04 AM
yeah i didnt buy mine to keep it stock. or to worry about breaking stuff. if it breaks repl. it with better quality parts

hell yours was a stage 1, but you changed everything to stage 3 correct? but I doubt all your parts are roush right? I mean part of it is just a price premium for a name.

Reverend Cooper
03-24-2007, 12:05 AM
all my parts are from roush except the blower,wheels and some internal rear end parts.

Poncho
03-24-2007, 03:08 AM
i see. .

Reverend Cooper
03-24-2007, 10:52 AM
my goal is to stay with all roush or ford racing parts that can be seen external of the car or in the interior. unfortunatley the roush charger is to small for my plans. roush and ford do not make stout enough internals for the rear end. otherwise i would just keep breaking the stock parts

H8RADE
03-24-2007, 11:14 AM
ok here is the dilema i am in. i have the stock 3.55s in my stage 3 and want to do a swap. the problem i am having is trying to figure out what gear to go to. i think 3.73s would be a waste of money, and in trying to stick with all FORD or ROUSH parts i am left with the only other option being 4.10s. Is there a way to calculate how much top speed i am going to lose? what i mean is right now at 65 mph i am at 2000 rpms, is there a way to use this info to calculate what rpm i will be at at 120 mph? at 80 i beleive i am at 3400 rpms. the other option i have is to go and buy a nonford part and get the MOTIVE 3.90's. can any one help me out.

Get some Ford/Rousch seat covers and call it a day.
Good Gawd!
Have a nice day, only buying Gatorade that matches the color of your car.
Has anyone seen my Rousch coaster?!!?!

OH CRAP!!!
I just drove my NISSAN truck to get some JIMMY DEAN breakfast sandwiches.
Nissan doesn't make breakfast foods, but I was hungry nonetheless.
Did I just void my warranty?

Reverend Cooper
03-24-2007, 11:21 AM
cant blame him big he ha a nice factory - roush car he wants to stay factory-roush

Sleeper Sierra
03-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Go to another ford dealership for your warranty work. I used to work fo rRuss Darrow ford and they are very open to working on modified cars. They would not even know for sure that the gears weren't factory unless you told them.

07ROUSHSTG3
03-24-2007, 01:41 PM
i am going to call Marv on monday and talk to him to set up an appointment to have a tuner installed along with having him install the gear. then the dealership will be none the wiser. if i need work i simply reflash the module and bring it in. They will obviously know, but the paperwork here will show nothing about any mods, clearing them of any involvment. problem solved!

Poncho
03-24-2007, 03:01 PM
they wouldn't really know about the tune anyway.

how big is the blower on that car?

I went to Boucher yesterday to check out a white roush they had out there.
They kinda gave me the impression that the stage 3 w/ the blower while being quick would be quite a bit slower than coops car, and coops runs a 12.1 last time out. I still can't stomach those prices. I nearly pooped myself. I love my car, but thats some scary shit.

I also saw a Vista Blue Steeda the other night, anyone know where about those cars cost?

Reverend Cooper
03-24-2007, 04:09 PM
yeah danno it ran a 12.01 at 119.94 mph. which we all know is mid elevens mph. i have no drag suspension on this car at all it is lowered and stiff. the car is well detuned to keep the internals inside. most stage three roush cars are at 355-365 rwhp. approx 100 rwhp less then what im running now.

Poncho
03-24-2007, 04:15 PM
that uncorrected? i remembered i never corrected my old times. so I did. i'm suddently alot happier.

@ 2000 DA for example you're at 11.73@122

07ROUSHSTG3
03-25-2007, 08:32 PM
they wouldn't really know about the tune anyway.

how big is the blower on that car?

I went to Boucher yesterday to check out a white roush they had out there.
They kinda gave me the impression that the stage 3 w/ the blower while being quick would be quite a bit slower than coops car, and coops runs a 12.1 last time out. I still can't stomach those prices. I nearly pooped myself. I love my car, but thats some scary shit.

I also saw a Vista Blue Steeda the other night, anyone know where about those cars cost?

the stage 3 is quite a bit different than a stage 1. my initial plans were to buy a stock mustang or a stage 1 and go the way Coop did. I decided to go the other way for the suspension and the fact that i have a car that they only make 300 of a year. at 300 a year, if FORD keeps the s197 platform until 2009, i will have one of 1500 made, that is not breaking it down into color. according to road tests i have seen and the roush reps the stage 3 with bfg cheater slicks will run a 12.6. Motor trend hit 12.66 when running against a vette in there road test with a bad driver. the blower is capable of 12 psi, however my car from the factory runs 5psi. there is a new pulley and tune that will bump it up to 6 or 8 psi and get you an extra 15 horsepower while keeping the warranty. there are aftermarket pulleys that will crank it up more. i bought this car over the shelby because i am too young to get into the shelby craze, plus i saved over 10 grand. it may seem silly trying to keep it all ROUSH or FORD RACING parts but the way i look at it, i spent $50K on the car,why not splurge a little bit on the parts.:thumbsup as for Steeda, it seems that they are not up to par, compared to where they where with the other platforms. not sure how much one costs because it is pretty rare to see an ACTUAL Steeda car.

Reverend Cooper
03-25-2007, 10:07 PM
the only thing ine right now is missing from the stage 3 is the brake kit. otherwise i have all else and then some. the brake kit will be next winters project.and i for one would love to see yours hit 12.66 on cheater slicks. mine n/a with regular bolt ons went 12.93 at 109.40mph. im very happy with what i have mine as it stands being the last model year in sonic blue is 1 of 147 to be built by roush. no more will exist due to the fact ford dropped that color.

07ROUSHSTG3
03-25-2007, 10:29 PM
the only thing ine right now is missing from the stage 3 is the brake kit. otherwise i have all else and then some. the brake kit will be next winters project.and i for one would love to see yours hit 12.66 on cheater slicks. mine n/a with regular bolt ons went 12.93 at 109.40mph. im very happy with what i have mine as it stands being the last model year in sonic blue is 1 of 147 to be built by roush. no more will exist due to the fact ford dropped that color.

:confused :confused :confused didn't mean to knock your car in anyway, i just wanted to let people know what convinced me to write a check for over $50K, sweet ass ride man, and one of the best Ford colors:thumbsup .

if you google 2006 stage 3 mustang motor trend, the article i am pretty sure says 12.66, almost exactly what the vette ran, roush rep says they will run better with a better driver. the driver in the mag admits to not being able to get the feel of the ROUSH short throw shifter. main reason why i went with the stage 3 is i got sick of working on my 88 and as you can probably tell by all the questions i ask, i admit to not having the knowhow to comfortably work on stuff anyway. i am learning as i go:thumbsup . we will see, i am hoping to get the car a little quicker without opening it up with gears, new pulley, tune,and full exhaust next year:thumbsup! i have seen a time sheet with 11.99 from a 2006 stage 3 with those mods:confused . now either the guys was messing with all of us, his tune is pretty gutsy, or he can drive like hell!?!?!

H8RADE
03-25-2007, 11:24 PM
Thank Gawd for magazines.
I never have to go to the track because they tell me what my car runs.
Due to a misprint in my eBay ad, my last LT1 had 4300hp at the rear wheels.
It was only 430hp on the dyno, but I have Road Runner High Speed, and I think craigslist took that into account.
:wow

Reverend Cooper
03-26-2007, 08:04 PM
:confused :confused :confused didn't mean to knock your car in anyway, i just wanted to let people know what convinced me to write a check for over $50K, sweet ass ride man, and one of the best Ford colors:thumbsup .

if you google 2006 stage 3 mustang motor trend, the article i am pretty sure says 12.66, almost exactly what the vette ran, roush rep says they will run better with a better driver. the driver in the mag admits to not being able to get the feel of the ROUSH short throw shifter. main reason why i went with the stage 3 is i got sick of working on my 88 and as you can probably tell by all the questions i ask, i admit to not having the knowhow to comfortably work on stuff anyway. i am learning as i go:thumbsup . we will see, i am hoping to get the car a little quicker without opening it up with gears, new pulley, tune,and full exhaust next year:thumbsup! i have seen a time sheet with 11.99 from a 2006 stage 3 with those mods:confused . now either the guys was messing with all of us, his tune is pretty gutsy, or he can drive like hell!?!?!

i didnt think you were knocking my car. dont sweat it. i was really saying i would really like to see yours do that. mine n/a was prolly at 320 rwhp so another 40 with your blower should get her up to a 12.66 easy i would think

Want_Notch
03-26-2007, 08:50 PM
I'll knock your car coop..........it sucks and needs to be Silver!

Reverend Cooper
03-26-2007, 09:07 PM
why then it would be queer like yours lol