PDA

View Full Version : Study: Racing games may spur risky driving

Flicktitty
03-21-2007, 06:27 PM
LINK (http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/03/19/virtual.racing.reut/index.html)

and as always for those who are too lazy to click the link here is the story

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- People who play car racing video games may be more prone to drive recklessly and get into accidents, according to a study that adds to evidence that video games can influence the behavior of some players.

The study by German researchers published on Sunday examined the effect these games, featuring realistic driving environments with players often racing through city and suburban traffic, affect people who play them.

"Driving actions in these games often include competitive and reckless driving, speeding and crashing into other cars or pedestrians, or performing risky stunts with the vehicle. In short, most actions in racing games imply a very high risk of having an accident or severe crash in a highly realistic virtual road traffic environment," the researchers wrote.

The researchers first questioned 198 men and women. Those who played the games most often were more likely to report engaging in aggressive and risky driving and getting in auto accidents. Those who played these games less often reported driving more cautiously, the researchers said.

The researchers then studied 68 men and found those who played even one racing game took more risks afterward in traffic situations on a computer simulator than those who played another type of game.

Then the researchers had 83 men play either a racing game or another type of game, and found that those who played the racing game reported more thoughts and feelings associated with risk-taking than the others.

"Risk-acceptance is one of the most prominent and important factors in the discussion of the origin of accidents caused by young drivers," Joerg Kubitzki of the Allianz Center for Technology, who conducted the study along with researchers at Munich's Ludwig-Maximilians University, said by e-mail.

The researchers cited previous research involving the "shooter" genre of games, in which the player shoots at adversaries, that found an increase in aggression-related thoughts and actions among people who played these games. But they said little had been known about the influence driving games might have on actual driving behavior of players.

"The question of age restrictions, legally or voluntary, should be discussed not only for 'shooter' games but also for this kind of games, which have an impact on traffic safety," Kubitzki said.

The study appeared in the Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, published by the American Psychological Association

Brandon W.
03-21-2007, 07:24 PM
i could of told you this years ago..9 years old playing Gran-turismo1. then Driver came out and running away from the cops was the best. i actually was playing driver1 the other day on Playstation and i wanted to go on a high speed cop chase and drive on sidewalks..dont know why but i did.

Heat Seeker WS6
03-21-2007, 07:40 PM
i could of told you this years ago..9 years old playing Gran-turismo1. then Driver came out and running away from the cops was the best. i actually was playing driver1 the other day on Playstation and i wanted to go on a high speed cop chase and drive on sidewalks..dont know why but i did.

I see- and is that why you were totally hounding that 'Dad' w/ kids at Stocky's??
:rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf

Brandon W.
03-21-2007, 07:43 PM
I see- and is that why you were totally hounding that 'Dad' w/ kids at Stocky's??
:rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf

no iwas doing that because nightmare said i wouldnt do it.and i had to prove him wrong.but the video games help me with my tactics ;)

Flicktitty
03-21-2007, 07:45 PM
no iwas doing that because nightmare said i wouldnt do it.and i had to prove him wrong.but the video games help me with my tactics ;)

haha, they must teach you in the games you play to spin out cause you were doing that alot :rolf

Brandon W.
03-21-2007, 07:51 PM
haha, they must teach you in the games you play to spin out cause you were doing that alot :rolf

hey i was trying to see how far i could get that cart to drift. i had a few good ones for sure.:rolf

Flicktitty
03-21-2007, 07:53 PM
proof drifting is gay
http://www.marginfilms.com/drift/images/DRIFT%20web%20keyart.jpg

Brandon W.
03-21-2007, 07:53 PM
haha..nice

lilws6
03-21-2007, 08:40 PM
:bsflag hahaha i play all those kinds of games grand turismo forza project gothem need for speed. i've been playing nothing but racing games since rad racing came out on the original nintendo! I don't drive like an ass, but on the occasional i race a turbo civic and a cop whips a u turn type of senario i can drive fast. I don't have real bad driving tendancies but then again i can't i have 11 points on my licence right now. Playing some of thos games does make me want to go and get chased by cops tho lol:rolf

stowsea
03-21-2007, 08:45 PM
proof drifting is gay
http://www.marginfilms.com/drift/images/DRIFT%20web%20keyart.jpg

haha that guy is asian. only you nick would have the two keywords as GAY and drift.

and **** GERMANY

Flicktitty
03-21-2007, 08:46 PM
haha that guy is asian. only you nick would have the two keywords as GAY and drift.

and **** GERMANY

actually i typed in DRIFT in google image search cause Brandon said something about it and this game up lol :thumbsup

Reverend Cooper
03-21-2007, 09:06 PM
hey how did you guys find that movie flick and brandon made...holy crap that looks just like you two

Flicktitty
03-21-2007, 09:32 PM
hey how did you guys find that movie flick and brandon made...holy crap that looks just like you two

actually i typed in DRIFT in google image search cause Brandon said something about it and this game up lol :thumbsup

and both of us aer on the "bigger" side.

Al
03-22-2007, 12:49 AM
The ironic thing is that after I go racing at RA or BHF, I want to drive really slow on the way home.

Lately, I have been wanting to drive fast. I think I should go racing at a track.

Brandon W.
03-22-2007, 08:17 AM
ya dude im not that skinny. ad another 40 pounds and straighten out the eyes. and cut the hair and maybe it will look like me.

flyin_blue_egg
03-22-2007, 08:52 AM
this is another example of people getting paid way to much to tell us something thats irrelavant. I play racing games all the time, and yes i may drive fast, but i can tell you it's not from the racing games