PDA

View Full Version : trade in your prius for a hummer

Flicktitty
03-21-2007, 03:16 PM
trade in your prius for a hummer
LINK (http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/editorial/print_item.asp?NewsID=188)

Al
03-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Repost:
http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20068

I was looking at the numbers and I think I have isolated the source of error.

When the guy quotes the 100k mile cost of the vehicle, he has it it $3.25/mile. In reality, it is $0.32/mile, making it one of the cheepest cars to own assuming that it is worthless at 100k miles. That means the car will cost about $32,500 over 100k miles. not bad!

When you venture to look at the numbers more closely and uncover some of the omitted info, you can see just how much of a piece of swiss cheese that the report is.

At 100,000 miles, the Prius is due for a battery swap. The old one is sent to be recycled and some sort of credit might be given to the replacement. This does not mean that the vehicle's life is over. That is, I could also say that a Hummer is junk once it runs out of gas, but that can be refilled to. The battery is expensive, somewhere around $1500 to $3000, with all service included. Then you get another 100k miles. The longer you own it, the cheaper the miles get.

Slow Joe
03-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Only problem is that at 100k miles it's going to need more than just batteries...

88Nightmare
03-21-2007, 05:02 PM
a friend of mine told me that with his prius, dealer told him $4000-$7000 for battery replacement

Korndogg
03-21-2007, 05:13 PM
a friend of mine told me that with his prius, dealer told him $4000-$7000 for battery replacement

yep thats right. I had to go to a seminar on hybrids when I was a mechanic and they told us pretty much that exact number.

88Nightmare
03-21-2007, 05:38 PM
not only that, those mofos are fuggin heavy. they take up a good portion of the trunk. plus, if a prius or other hybrid is in an accident, the firefighters rescuing your happy ass better have some good training when doing the jaws of life. high voltage cables running through out your car. one false clip with the jaws of life and you and the firefighter saving you are both real phucked and far from home. true the cables are coated with special colors and shit like that, doesnt mean the firefighter will miss it. emergency situations, people are bound to rush or make mistakes. you won't see my fat ass in a hybrid any time soon

Slow Joe
03-21-2007, 05:47 PM
My guess is that there is some kind of circuit breaker or fuse to protect people in the event of that issue. At least I'd sure as hell hope so... :rolf

Flicktitty
03-21-2007, 05:59 PM
dag nabbit

88Nightmare
03-21-2007, 06:33 PM
My guess is that there is some kind of circuit breaker or fuse to protect people in the event of that issue. At least I'd sure as hell hope so... :rolf

there may be, but you are still gonna get a quick zap a split second before the breaker trips or the fuse explodes

Yooformula
03-21-2007, 06:50 PM
so you need to sell it to some shmoe before you hit 100kmiles. Day to day it saves gas thougha nd if you really pick you can find the bad points of EVERYTHING.

88Nightmare
03-21-2007, 07:23 PM
yeah. like pickups and suv's are taller, higher center of gravity, easier to flip them over.... if you drive like a jagbag. I drive like a jag, but I never even came close to even getting 2 wheels off the ground.

somethin about hybrid cars just dont cut it for me. its too complex for the average mechanic to work on it without additional training. i like to work on my own crap typically, and plus most hybrids are just tiny compact cars, which I am just not a fan of, unless its some lil 200 dollar beater :D

Reverend Cooper
03-21-2007, 09:35 PM
you guys are imssing the points. the hybrid battery warranty covers it to 100k. or 8 years. we have prius' on the road at our dealership that have over 150k on them and still on the original battery. the hybrid batteries have come down considerably in cost from around 5g's to 1500-2000.00. all ems-and firefighters are trained on how to disconnect the hv system. how do i know this. north shore fire dept is in by us to learn with any model hybrid changes at least once a year. i dont care what anyone says it is a cheaper car to buy,operate,repair than a hummer any day.not to mention the hybrid has options on it like nav and hid that some of the 40-50-60k models dont.

Karps TA
03-21-2007, 09:42 PM
The last time we got snow, on the way to work I saw 2 Toyota Prius stuck in ditches. I found it rather ironic that Mother Nature owned the enviroment friendly "green" cars. Meanwhile the 4WD gas guzzling SUV and trucks were having no problem with the snow what so ever, and their owners got to work on time.

Moral of the story. Nature is a *****, and needs to be put in it's place. Long live fossil fuels! :D

Reverend Cooper
03-21-2007, 09:45 PM
the discussion is not about getting to work in the snow. its about afordability and cost. dont compare apples to oranges the prius has no 4wd. compare it to a highlander hybrid that is awd and gets double your gas mileage

Karps TA
03-21-2007, 10:03 PM
I saw the Prius, and it made me think of the story.

Personally I wouldn't care if the Prius was $10 I wouldn't want one.

Are dealers still marking them up outrageously? If they are still getting $10G bumps on the car then there is zero arguement that the car is affordable. Cause #1 that nearly doubling a persons monthly payment. And #2 The depreciation of the car is going thru the roof. So whatever you may save in gas you're paying twofold in interest and depreciation.

Not a real good use of your money, when you can buy plenty of other cars that get 2/3rds of the mileage benefits without the double hit on the other side.

Reverend Cooper
03-21-2007, 10:05 PM
again its not a discussion of you wanting one. we were dicussing the viability between the two cars in the report. i work there and i dont want one either. but the facts are the facts. the report is bs.jmho

pOrk
03-22-2007, 01:02 PM
The gas milage a prius gets above 30 mph is DRASTICALLY different then that advertised number of 65-70 mpg. At 55 mph, the prius only gets 45 mpg. I'd rather drive a scion and not have to worry about the batteries.

Reverend Cooper
03-22-2007, 11:08 PM
scions dont get 45mpg at anytime,anyway,anyhow. not to mention they really have half the luxury items the prius has. and the mileage in city which most of us doo i outstanding. again the battery for the hv. system has been out there along time. i can honestly say i have yet to replace one not damaged from a wreck.

Al
03-23-2007, 12:48 AM
If they were a bit cheaper, I'd buy a Prius or a Civic hybrid. There is alot of convenience integrated into a car that can go that far on a tank of gas.

I'm not too finikey about gas expenses, even as a delivery driver. Yet I have been able to pull 29 mpg from a car with an overall city/highway rating of 23 mpg. I know how to stretch a gallon of gas and I could do the same with a hybrid beyond the sticker rating.

Waver
03-23-2007, 08:13 AM
that is why I am going to get a big gas guzzeling truck like an expedition or an f-150