PDA

View Full Version : WI discontinuing emissions?

TransAm12sec
03-18-2007, 08:28 PM
I didn't find anything with a google search. My only source of information is this post.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/mid-west-region/405290-its-too-good-true.html

"I heard up here in WI they are discontinuing the emissions testing all together; they said they spend $13 million a year on it and only 1 in like 5000 cars fail. The ones that do fail like 75% of those get mechanics to write up a bill for over the $400 they need to spend and then it gets waived on through so the state said they were going to spend the money on something that would be more beneficial to the residents of the state."

Cryptic
03-18-2007, 08:34 PM
I hope so...

Posted: March 5, 2007
Transit plan would drop emission tests
2 legislators also propose sales tax shift to run buses
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=573269

BadAzzGTA89
03-18-2007, 08:37 PM
This is a good thing as posted on TGO:thumbsup

Karps TA
03-18-2007, 08:40 PM
I hope so...

Posted: March 5, 2007
Transit plan would drop emission tests
2 legislators also propose sales tax shift to run buses
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=573269

The article makes sense. Which means theres is zero chance of this actually happening. Doyle will step in a demand that they raise the rental car fees, 250% and tell the emissions testing stations they need to spend $20 mill a year redundantly testing cars for emissions.

The govt in this state is too bass ackwards to do anything like this.

BadAzzGTA89
03-18-2007, 08:44 PM
They can start by fixing the main roads:onfire <--Is what it is like going down most here in Milwaukee Co.

MARO-MAN
03-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Would be nice if they would do this and then keep the registration/licensing fees the same price. They are talking about raising those. -Nick.

SSDude
03-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Ending emissions testing would be a great thing. It's nothing more than corporate welfare for "Envirotest" the chit company that runs the stations.

The larger problem is the two rocket scientist legislators Stone and Plahle want to spend the money saved on a choo choo train. I wrote the morons and told them the idea would be a good one the day that our busses are so crowded that people are being turned away.:fire

HP ADDICT
03-18-2007, 09:24 PM
I dont care how they spend the money just discontinue it.

theavenger333
03-18-2007, 09:53 PM
it would be nice, but at that point what would the point in running modified gas be then? get rid of that too while they're at it. i just don't see it happening, Wisconsin has been one of the forerunners in environmental stuff.

Lash
03-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Sweet! 2 less years that I'd have to wait for my car to become eligible for no-emissions testing. It passed by the hairs on my nuts sack last time. :stare

Let the serious mods begin!!!!!

Lash
03-18-2007, 10:07 PM
it would be nice, but at that point what would the point in running modified gas be then? get rid of that too while they're at it. i just don't see it happening, Wisconsin has been one of the forerunners in environmental stuff.

I'm thinking they may be talking about only having OBD II cars go through emissions.

A lot of older cars get waived at some point anyway....even after failing a few times.

Waver
03-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Emissions, what is That? lol

pickardracing
03-18-2007, 10:27 PM
^what he said.

Al
03-18-2007, 10:43 PM
I wonder how much pollution is caused by all of those cars sitting in line at the emissions station. If they eliminated that, the environmental impact would be less than having the stations.

MurphysLaw88GT
03-18-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm thinking they may be talking about only having OBD II cars go through emissions.

A lot of older cars get waived at some point anyway....even after failing a few times.

Yes, these are my thoughts.......
the IM240 test is what costs the $$$$$$. they are talking of having OBD kiosks and stations, but who knows. In the advent of obd only testing, expect it to expand beyond where we test now:punch:

MyWhiteZ
03-18-2007, 11:02 PM
as of jan 1, 2007 in Illinois all OBD1 and older cars will no longer be tested. So its not as out there as people think. Thank god the camaro is a 94, now there nothing stopping me from puttin the BBC in there. o wait ya there is.......... $$$$$

hrsp
03-18-2007, 11:15 PM
would be sweet...but i wont hold my breath

88Nightmare
03-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Sweet! 2 less years that I'd have to wait for my car to become eligible for no-emissions testing. It passed by the hairs on my nuts sack last time. :stare

Let the serious mods begin!!!!!

packin peach fuzz eh?

I just register my chit up north, no emissions for me :headbang

Flicktitty
03-18-2007, 11:31 PM
I heard about this a year ago that after 08 they weren't going to be doing it?

2SLOW
03-18-2007, 11:40 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm this sounds interesting.

DSMDuDE
03-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Its okay, Walworth county doesnt even have Emissions :P

Flicktitty
03-19-2007, 12:12 AM
/\ Troof

Waver
03-19-2007, 12:53 AM
I heard about this a year ago that after 08 they weren't going to be doing it?

MMMMMM, 08 is when I can get the blue plates

PB86MCSS
03-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Any teeth to this?

Would be nice, even though its ridiculously easy to get around emissions in this state by still registering your car at your real address.

Interesting how it might cost that much just to test and how little cars fail (probably due to the ease of getting around testing in the first place).

I'm all for the environment and think there needs to be steps taken but emissions from older cars or cars in general I don't think is a huge concern, at least not as much as it used to be with cars running much more efficient and cleaner than ever.

Arigmaster
03-19-2007, 08:24 PM
I bet if the do close them all down...Someone my hit the jackpot on purchasing the old places for penneys on the dollar to be used for car washes & drive through oil change centers...

Reverend Cooper
03-19-2007, 08:25 PM
could arguably be the only good thing douchebag doyle may due ever

Yellow2k1vette
03-19-2007, 10:31 PM
could arguably be the only good thing douchebag doyle may due everIF something like this ever happens....it certainly won't be his doing.

If such a bill is in process, I would find it equally surprising that 2/3 could overcome his predictable veto.

Since testing is no longer state-run and is contracted out, you better believe there will be huge $persuasion$ against this....exactly the kind of sh!t our Gov caters to.

:haveabeer:

BadAzzGTA89
03-19-2007, 10:40 PM
I vote everyone on puts county vehicle kept in the nothern area of wisconsin to **** the goverment up!

Al
03-20-2007, 12:10 AM
Emissions testing might not be as important as it used to be since carbeurators are almost non-existant these days.

Back in the day, were carb cars more likely to get out of tune? W/O efi and the "check engine light," how did people know when thier car wasn't doing too well (average jane or joe)?

I'm not old enough to know the answer, but I can remember my old man's van never passing since the day he bought it new.

T-TYPE
03-21-2007, 09:17 PM
the money saved by scraping a system that is no longer needed could be spent on some worthy project like pot holes

DMF_Racing
03-21-2007, 09:53 PM
I hope we can turn those emissions stations into tune shops, i know the one in waukesha has the dyno in it... im sure the others do too...

just my 2 cents on how to deal with this...

PB86MCSS
03-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Lets all chip in and buy one and convert it for the dyno capabilities.

MurphysLaw88GT
03-22-2007, 12:10 AM
i still want my locker tho......

88Nightmare
03-22-2007, 12:15 AM
hey neuwave, you know with collector plates, there are certain months out of the year you cannot drive your car? what are you gonna do then? :D

MurphysLaw88GT
03-22-2007, 12:33 AM
yes, like december....or is it Jan. the blue plates for coronet are in the works, as for the mustang...next year

marineman227
03-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Hah... emissions. I hope for the sake of everyone on here they scrap it but until then I thank god for being a northerner.

Prescott
03-22-2007, 11:49 AM
From what I heard, WI is the last state to have IM240 emmission testing. Alaska(the only other state to still have it) scrapped theres a couple years back. It wasn't cost effective. Upkeep on the equipment is huge. The contract was up and they didn't renew it. I think thats the same deal here. The contract is up and they're not going to renew it. Im pretty sure the testing stations are not run by the state but by a 3rd party. OBDII cars would still need to be tested everyother year but they could have dealers and certified garages do it like they do in CA.

Nix
03-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Emissions? Whats that?:confused

:D :D :D :D

ProjectCamaro
03-22-2007, 10:53 PM
We need to get contact information for all our congresmen and governer and post it up. I don't konw about the rest of you but I'd be willing to write some letter's backing this plan. If we all send something in maybe it'll help it pass.

pnad
03-23-2007, 01:50 PM
I bet if the do close them all down...Someone my hit the jackpot on purchasing the old places for penneys on the dollar to be used for car washes & drive through oil change centers...

Only problem is they are all built in bumfu(k away from retail areas.

OBDII cars would still need to be tested everyother year but they could have dealers and certified garages do it like they do in CA.

Ugh, like we need some mechanic 'failing' cars so he can make $$ on repair bills.

I will keep my cars registered in Adams county thanks.

BAD LS1
03-23-2007, 05:09 PM
That would be dumb for them to test OBDII cars only, The way i heard it on the news was it was going to go away all together.

OBDII stuff is the cleanest by far and the self diagnostics it has pretty much a built in test station lol.

Older obd1 stuff or carbed cars i can see being the real dirty ones... but who cares? Just shit can the whole program and move on... The rest of the state doesnt do it...