PDA

View Full Version : Air Purifiers.....HELP!

Car Guy
03-17-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm looking for some 'real world' advice on brands/models/kinds of air purifiers. I feel my house is way too dusty (3 cats) and I vacuum every week, so I'm looking for something that really works good......

Some of the kinds/brands I'm familiar with are: Sharper Image, Oreck, the 'newer' one where it comstantly moves water, and the traditional 'ozone makers'......

Price is sort of a factor but if it gets the job done I'll pay.....

Thanks~! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

SSDude
03-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Carpeting is the largest source of dust in a home. A good steam cleaning will cut the dust for a while but the best is hardwood floors. While a bit costly they make a major difference.
I don't believe you will see an appreciable difference with a room purifier as far as dust goes.
Whole house dust purifiers may be your best bet. The type that install in the cold air return were your filter is located
If you have a older home duct cleaning should be done as well.
If you have hydronic heat your options are limited.:thumbsup

Car Guy
03-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Anybody else...?

Holeshot
03-17-2007, 09:26 PM
After months of talking we bought a Sharper Image Yeah it was really expensive but it was worth every penny. If you can find a buy one get one deal and someone else want one its a great deal. I don't know how we lived with out it.

I love it.

Baddriver01
03-17-2007, 09:29 PM
The "ozone" ones have been found to create more pollution than they take out of the air and are not good for you. Ozone is not something you want to be breathing. A whole house purifier works well (we have an air recirculator and it is great). Also, once it gets nicer outside just open the windows...unless you live in a polluted area or have bad neighbors...good luck.