PDA

View Full Version : What does insurance companies look for regarding tickets?

jamest
03-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Do insurance companies raise your rates based on what type of ticket it is moving vs. non-moving violations or on how many points you got deducted 2pts vs 0pts? Thanks for the help.

Brian98GTP
03-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Well, my wife is an accountant at West Bend Mutual Insurance company and before doing that, she worked in Commercial Underwriting.
She said they never knew how many 'points' a ticket was worth, but they DID know if it was speeding (1-10mph over), speeding intermediate (11-19 over), or speeding excess (20+). She says Personal underwriting might be different, but not likely. So to answer your question, I think it is a matter of 'moving violation' vs. 'non-moving violation'.

Either way, just slipping your insurance agent some money under the table ought to fix whatever problems you have. :thumbsup

jamest
03-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Well, my wife is an accountant at West Bend Mutual Insurance company and before doing that, she worked in Commercial Underwriting.
She said they never knew how many 'points' a ticket was worth, but they DID know if it was speeding (1-10mph over), speeding intermediate (11-19 over), or speeding excess (20+). She says Personal underwriting might be different, but not likely. So to answer your question, I think it is a matter of 'moving violation' vs. 'non-moving violation'.

Either way, just slipping your insurance agent some money under the table ought to fix whatever problems you have. :thumbsup

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have my dad go get that spare million in the trunk of the Lambo and take care of it for me. Remember I am not spoiled.:rolf

JC70SS
03-10-2007, 11:42 PM
they basically look at minor or major violation. Not at fault accidents don't go against you. A speeding ticket is minor, accident etc. Majors include DRAG RAGING, DUI, vehicular homicide, hit and run. So basicaaly a dui is the same as getting caught for drag racing except the fine is bigger. Insurance goes up the same.

Waver
03-11-2007, 01:51 AM
Or you could slip the agent some money under the table had have it all go away in your insurance companys eyes....(no I am not serious)

05caddyext
03-11-2007, 01:56 AM
EVERYTHING regarding this issue has to do with who your insurance company is these days. I have been with the same company since I turned 16, have gotten who knows how many tickets, and have never had an increase in my rate. I owe this to my parents being lifetime customers and having a really cool agent. Most of the companies now will burn you every chance they get, thats been my experience with a lot of people I know.

Arigmaster
03-11-2007, 03:12 AM
I was with Acuity for many years and have no tickets at all... However, When the Wife and Daughter got in a wreck... They dropped us like a hot potato...

The way I look at "ANY" insurance company is... They are always the first to offer you an umbrella but once it starts raining...They want their umbrella back!

Worms :stare

Poncho
03-11-2007, 03:18 AM
another vote for under the table.

88Nightmare
03-11-2007, 03:19 AM
slip him money under the table at paneras

JC70SS
03-11-2007, 10:20 AM
you cannot slip your agent money under the table. Here is what happens. Agent looks up your record and he/she can leave stuff off. So your app goes to underwriting at the company and they also look up your record and they will find every little thing. So they then call your agent and say you are either not getting insurance or your rate is this amt instead. No way around it. Worked in that field for 3 yrs.

jamest
03-11-2007, 01:02 PM
The money under the table thing is an inside joke. Scroll down to the I'm buying this Evo thread if you really want the get the background story.

Basically I have a choice between taking a moving violation ticket with no points deducted or non-moving violation with 2 pts deducted and I am trying to decide which would be less "harmful" to my insurance rates.

JC70SS
03-11-2007, 02:56 PM
take the non

jamest
03-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the help.