PDA

View Full Version : First car....

jersyboyy
03-09-2007, 04:38 PM
I just bought a 85 camaro off craigslist. I paid half up front got a bill of sale and will pay the other half friday when he delivers the car to my house. We are signing over the title and getting plates for the car friday afternoon. I paid 500 upfront on friday another 500 is being handed over. First things first getting it into a DD condition and then ...i donno yet...why dont you guys tell me?

Heres the rundown...

85 Camaro hardtop

Good-
Body has 90,000 miles on it
500 miles on a new 350 crate motor bored over .60 (im a little worried about that not sure if thats going to an unsafe level with the bore)
800 miles on a new automatic transmission
Full flowmast exhaust with dual pipes

Bad-
Hood doesnt close all the way (latch plate needs to be bent into place)
Missing power steering pump
Needs the a/c piping hooked up
Crack in the windshield (not blocking view of the road tho)
Some cracking on the dashboard
Passenger seat is trashed...along with the carpeting(found out its just that the seats not bolted down so EASY FIX :) )
Needs a headliner

Paint is old and peeling, but body is in straight condition (few dents and dings)
Noticed the sealent around the rear window is gone
Needs a new left taillight
No stereo or speakers

Plans-

3" cowl hood with hood pins
Power steering pump
A/C hooked up and filled
Fresh Black paint
New left taillight (gotta fix the wiring...the brake lights arnt corretly wired up-turn signals are fine tho :) )
Newer wheels with fresh street radials (working on a deal for some 2002 trans am wheels, just gotta buy the adapters first :) )
New alpine (or similar) headunit with speakers and i have 2 15" power akoustik spl subs I want to put in
New carpeting
New passenger seat (junk yard)
New dash (junk yard)

NOW FOR PICTURES :D

http://www.slide.com/channel_finder?pcid=zpaci7tY1aj-eQOQMJPXa_DrFyP7F0pcc8cXfvIrzJc&view=large

07ROUSHSTG3
03-09-2007, 04:43 PM
sounds like nothing that can't be fixed up. congrats!

Brian98GTP
03-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Are those blood stains on the passenger seat?? :puke

So when is the LS7 going in? :thumbsup

Poncho
03-09-2007, 05:01 PM
if you need a hood, i have a fiberglass z/28 hood i need to unload.

Yooformula
03-09-2007, 05:18 PM
congrats on getting your first car but damm did you buy a fixer upper. I told you to buy my car would have saved ya a ton of time.

SSDude
03-09-2007, 07:15 PM
AC probably needs a conversion kit. Wasn't 85 still R12 refrigerant?
Lots to do should keep ya out of trouble for a while

nismodave
03-09-2007, 07:20 PM
congrats on getting your first car but damm did you buy a fixer upper. I told you to buy my car would have saved ya a ton of time.

He didnt want a car that smelled like man love.

Poncho
03-09-2007, 09:02 PM
AC probably needs a conversion kit. Wasn't 85 still R12 refrigerant?
Lots to do should keep ya out of trouble for a while

Yup. it came w/ R12, will need a retrofit to R134a.

jersyboyy
03-09-2007, 09:23 PM
LMAO "MAN LOVE"...thats all i gotta say

TransAm12sec
03-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Congrats on the car. Davemc on the boards has a ton of thirdgen parts if you're looking for something specific.

Looks like most of the money went into the motor. Are you on thirdgen.org?

jersyboyy
03-10-2007, 01:30 AM
No im on carolinafbodyclub.com but im about to join thirdgen.
Seeing as i now reside in NC :( ill probally talk to Davemc about small parts/interior pieces (shippings a biat*h)

Yooformula
03-10-2007, 02:55 AM
No im on carolinafbodyclub.com but im about to join thirdgen.
Seeing as i now reside in NC :( ill probally talk to Davemc about small parts/interior pieces (shippings a biat*h)

not if you come back for the summer before bootcamp.

jersyboyy
03-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Updates-

STARTER IS SHOT!!!
I waxed the paint with some metal polish I found at work & it looks so much BETTER (now i can hold off on a paint job for a while)

Reason why I waxed the whole car with metal polish!->(Polishing the wheels left it open on the roof and it spilled- when i wiped it up it got foggy so i kept wiping harder and ahrder untill it came clean- AND BOY IS IT CLEAN FOR paint from 85)

O and i decided on a theme (for when i totaly redo the car- BUCKET O' BOLTS!-cuz all it is is a fugmugging rust bucket of bolts with a motor)

hrsp
03-12-2007, 12:27 AM
congrats....how does she pull

jersyboyy
03-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Well before the starter broke...Holly as i named her...pulls pretty good...spins the tires halfway throughout first then chirps shifting into second...

Im happy considering i havnt swapped in a 5 speed yet and it is still an automatic. (When your laying the pedal 2nd to 3rd gear doesnt shift very quickly it,takes a few extra seconds before it catches and goes)

Yooformula
03-12-2007, 10:01 AM
lay off the trying to spin the tires crap. get used to the car first. you dont have very good luck with cars and the road or my mailbox or intersections or driveways......

GRAMPS SS
03-12-2007, 10:27 AM
sounds like a good fixer upper.....

SmokinRAM114
03-12-2007, 12:21 PM
lay off the trying to spin the tires crap. get used to the car first. you dont have very good luck with cars and the road or my mailbox or intersections or driveways......

lol

Yooformula
03-12-2007, 02:27 PM
he's my little brother so I am just giving him sh!t but he does have a poor track record when it comes to driving.

GRAMPS SS
03-12-2007, 02:31 PM
is that why you have no mail box yoosof....i tought when i was there over the weeekend , it was gone

hrsp
03-13-2007, 01:50 AM
is that why you have no mail box yoosof....i tought when i was there over the weeekend , it was gone

ROFL

jersyboyy
03-13-2007, 01:11 PM
HAHA
He def has one unless he broke it, I dug a new hole and cemented that *i*ch back in their THAT NIGHT...2 IN THE MONRING...after we finished doing a ton of work around the house and coming home from a long day at work...
& I had to pay for it all to! Plus an *ss chewing by his wife and even my neice :)

jersyboyy
03-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Hopefully after school today ill be taking the starter off HOLLY (my cars name) and seeing if thats the only problem. HOPEFULLY it is and i can just replace that today.

A few new things ordered! Hoping to see them by the end of this week.

Shocks/struts all around
Front brake kit
Rear tail light blackouts
Front headlight blackouts
Front slotted grill
Carbon fiber hood pins (since the hood wont fully latch down)
Hood struts
After market radio install kit (headunit/Rear speakers coming this weekend)

Flight_740
03-13-2007, 01:37 PM

:rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf

Or my dog, or my cat, or my lawn.

Prince Valiant
03-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Congrats on the new car...it's not quite as cool as, let's say, a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ 4.0 I6 and full-time 4WD, but it'll do. I guess.

As far as the overbore, I wouldn't worry too much. Sometimes you may notice that the temp guage runs a little hot if the cylinder bores are too thin, but for the most part .060 is plenty fine. Some blocks may be taken out more, some may not tolerate .030 over...you never know unless you sonic check the block. Many "reman shops" will do sonic checking of the block before going through and doing their generic rebuilds...so it's probably fine.

Let your bro know if you want to go through that thing in a day and have new cam/intake/carb/headers on that thing too. Make that thing a real screamer :thumbsup

jersyboyy
03-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Well new cam intake carb headers....rods piston/sleeves....basically rebuild the motor with forged internals...ALL OUT SCREAMER is scheduled for sometime in the Fall. :)

I was thinking about doing a ls1 motor swap...thats becoming more and more common on these cars and theirs alot more potential with that motor setup.

BTW Yoosof still owes me a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ 4.0 I6 and full-time 4WD!!!

Prince Valiant
03-13-2007, 02:42 PM
I was thinking about doing a ls1 motor swap...thats becoming more and more common on these cars and theirs alot more potential with that motor setup.It might be Blasphemy to say here at BCM, but I'll do it:

Naw, not really. With the vast array of parts for the old school SBC, you could build a killer street/strip engine for LESS than the cost of the LS1 swap. Heck, you could probably do that AND buy an aftermarket fuel injection set-up for less than the cost of the LS1 swap.

But I'd say that even when sticking with carbs, it's not to difficult to get the streetability and reliability AND with killer performance that one would expect with an LS1 swap in the third gen...

The LS1 is a better design if you limit yourself to factory parts, but the aftermarket is so large and affordable for the SBC that you can, at this time at least, do more with it ultimately. I mean, you can get radically different heads that'll outflow ANY LS based design if you want. All kinds of cams including HYD and solid roller cams, all kinds of intakes, headers, ignitions, rods, pistons, cranks...you name it, you can get it. Heck, look at the 50 fastest list...a SBC is still #2 on the list.

BadAzzGTA89
03-13-2007, 09:20 PM
It might be Blasphemy to say here at BCM, but I'll do it:

Naw, not really. With the vast array of parts for the old school SBC, you could build a killer street/strip engine for LESS than the cost of the LS1 swap. Heck, you could probably do that AND buy an aftermarket fuel injection set-up for less than the cost of the LS1 swap.

But I'd say that even when sticking with carbs, it's not to difficult to get the streetability and reliability AND with killer performance that one would expect with an LS1 swap in the third gen...

The LS1 is a better design if you limit yourself to factory parts, but the aftermarket is so large and affordable for the SBC that you can, at this time at least, do more with it ultimately. I mean, you can get radically different heads that'll outflow ANY LS based design if you want. All kinds of cams including HYD and solid roller cams, all kinds of intakes, headers, ignitions, rods, pistons, cranks...you name it, you can get it. Heck, look at the 50 fastest list...a SBC is still #2 on the list.

I agree 100% let's see how my progress is this year:shades

BadAzzGTA89
03-13-2007, 09:21 PM
I just bought a 85 camaro off craigslist. I paid half up front got a bill of sale and will pay the other half friday when he delivers the car to my house. We are signing over the title and getting plates for the car friday afternoon. I paid 500 upfront on friday another 500 is being handed over. First things first getting it into a DD condition and then ...i donno yet...why dont you guys tell me?

Heres the rundown...

85 Camaro hardtop

Good-
Body has 90,000 miles on it
500 miles on a new 350 crate motor bored over .60 (im a little worried about that not sure if thats going to an unsafe level with the bore)
800 miles on a new automatic transmission
Full flowmast exhaust with dual pipes

Bad-
Hood doesnt close all the way (latch plate needs to be bent into place)
Missing power steering pump
Needs the a/c piping hooked up
Crack in the windshield (not blocking view of the road tho)
Some cracking on the dashboard
Passenger seat is trashed...along with the carpeting(found out its just that the seats not bolted down so EASY FIX :) )
Needs a headliner

Paint is old and peeling, but body is in straight condition (few dents and dings)
Noticed the sealent around the rear window is gone
Needs a new left taillight
No stereo or speakers

Plans-

3" cowl hood with hood pins
Power steering pump
A/C hooked up and filled
Fresh Black paint
New left taillight (gotta fix the wiring...the brake lights arnt corretly wired up-turn signals are fine tho :) )
Newer wheels with fresh street radials (working on a deal for some 2002 trans am wheels, just gotta buy the adapters first :) )
New alpine (or similar) headunit with speakers and i have 2 15" power akoustik spl subs I want to put in
New carpeting
New passenger seat (junk yard)
New dash (junk yard)

NOW FOR PICTURES :D

http://www.slide.com/channel_finder?pcid=zpaci7tY1aj-eQOQMJPXa_DrFyP7F0pcc8cXfvIrzJc&view=large

Nice to see another 3rd gen i had a 82 Z28 with the Crossfire and swaped a nice 400sbc in place of it!

Slow Joe
03-13-2007, 10:24 PM
I agree with the SBC comment... I thought about putting a carb'd 350 in my '94 S-10 'cause it was so cheap to build... Come to think of it I had the truck, motor, transmission... :durr All I lacked was time and motivation...

jersyboyy
03-14-2007, 12:07 AM
That is also true, iv just always liked the whole "I gotta ls1 in my 85 camaro" but honestly i donno which way ill go for sure yet.

ALL I DO KNOW IS THAT MY FLYWHEEL HAS 3 STRIPT TEETH AND IT WONT LET ME START THE CAR!!!

I changed the starter b4 work came home wired it up and same thing, it seems those teeth got torn up and is also the reason the old starter went sour...(a piece of if had actually bent connectly the solonoid to the motor)

What can i do to atleast get it started to drive it to the shop my buddy has? (Cant afford towing its just bs, o its an automatic)

Prince Valiant
03-14-2007, 03:20 PM
What can i do to atleast get it started to drive it to the shop my buddy has? (Cant afford towing its just bs, o its an automatic)
If it was me, and that was the problem (and not just the starter not engaging or other probs), try getting a large breaker bar and a socket big enough for the crank bolt on the front of the engine. Turn it just enough so that you get the flywheel to a spot where it'll engage the starter and then hope it'll fire up.

jersyboyy
05-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Def been a minute since I checked up on this thread...

So i got a slightly built carbed 350 and rebuilt my 700r4! New motor is bored over .040 it has a mild cam flattop pistons upgraded rockers Edelbrock intake manifold Edelbrock 650 electric choke carb 14" chrome air filter chrome valve covers timing cover oil pan and headman shorty headers to straight pipes...:devil

Im waiting on the shop to get the headers from summit and install them so i can get this bad mo fo on the road!

Friday im soposed to be picking up a 2 1/2 inch hood unless i can find a 4 inch hood for a deal first...:banana1:

End of the summer is calling for a LS1 posi rear end swap full Leather interior from a 4th gen paint and tint!:banana