PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista, like it, hate it?

badass88gt
03-09-2007, 07:31 AM
Thinking of buying a laptop, but I doubt I'll find one now with XP, and I'm afraid of change. Who is using Vista, like it, hate it, etc?

Just want a laptop for internet use basically.

theavenger333
03-09-2007, 07:35 AM
http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18972&highlight=vista

badass88gt
03-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Yeah, I read that thread. Was lookin gfor any newer opinions now that its been out a little while.

Can I install XP on a Vista machine if I buy one?

badass88gt
03-09-2007, 07:48 AM
What about these computers that only have 512mb memory, they cant even hardly run Windows with that little, they would be garbage for trying anything else, correct?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8209235&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050018&id=1165610938449

Myles
03-09-2007, 07:56 AM
For the record, i tried vista on my laptop.

Soon after i converted all my other machines to vista.

I <3 Vista.

wikked
03-09-2007, 09:13 AM
What about these computers that only have 512mb memory, they cant even hardly run Windows with that little, they would be garbage for trying anything else, correct?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8209235&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050018&id=1165610938449

You can remove alot of un-needed services & startup items if you know what you're doing, then 512mb is plenty for Vista :)

I've installed/ran XP with 64mb ram, ran pretty decently after I got rid of the bloat. :D

Cryptic
03-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Make sure you have a ton of ram if going vista... it flies from what I hear if you throw plenty of ram at it.

My brother bought me a copy though a guy he knows at Microsoft for 35 bucks. I haven't installed it yet.

subliminal1284
03-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Vista is garbage, There is so much crap on it that its not even funny. And also all drivers must be signed by microsoft so if you happen to get some hardware that isnt, guess what youre SOL. If you like to download music do not get visita. Vista has anti piracy software on it, and if you have music on your computer that isnt licensed microsoft can just go ahead and delete those for you. Not too mention its gonna run slower than molasses since it takes huge amounts of resources just to run.

Myles
03-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Vista is garbage, There is so much crap on it that its not even funny. And also all drivers must be signed by microsoft so if you happen to get some hardware that isnt, guess what youre SOL. If you like to download music do not get visita. Vista has anti piracy software on it, and if you have music on your computer that isnt licensed microsoft can just go ahead and delete those for you. Not too mention its gonna run slower than molasses since it takes huge amounts of resources just to run.

do you have vista installed?

Have you played with vista?

Cause its running fast, taking up 20% of my memory right now. Same amount that XP took up. I have all my music and it hasnt touched any of it yet, but then again i dont use media player. I have drivers that are not signed by microsoft installed on my big machine at home.

Right now my laptop is running faster than it did with XP installed. I have tested my video editing and all of my other software on it and it runs it all fine. So i would like to see any of your proof other than some fags on a website bitching about change.

wikked
03-09-2007, 11:44 AM
^^^ Tru.
If there aren't Vista drivers for something, you can use XP drivers and they'll work fine.

I hear 2-3gb ram is optimal for using Aero & keeping all the bells/whistles... anything after that sees very diminishing returns.

Myles
03-09-2007, 11:50 AM
^^^ Tru.
If there aren't Vista drivers for something, you can use XP drivers and they'll work fine.

I hear 2-3gb ram is optimal for using Aero & keeping all the bells/whistles... anything after that sees very diminishing returns.

It seems to like 2 gigs right now. I have everything cranked on my home computer.

AMD 3800+ X2 64
2 gigs of ram
7900 GT GeForce

The system is about a year old now and it runs everything maxed out. Now the nvidia drivers are a little glitchy but they will get better.

badass88gt
03-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Thats what I'm talking about, I dont see how that laptop I linked above can even run any programs other than Windows itself with only 512mb. Maybe I should be looking on Fleabay for an XP unit.

Myles
03-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Thats what I'm talking about, I dont see how that laptop I linked above can even run any programs other than Windows itself with only 512mb. Maybe I should be looking on Fleabay for an XP unit.

the problem is you are looking for a cheap laptop. You might want to check out www.newegg.com for a cheap laptop, then look into how much ram is, then just upgrade the ram in it.

With the way hardware is progressing along with software, you are going to want a pretty powerful machine. Vista is not needed as of right now, but soon you will have to upgrade to it, so its just things you want to remember when you purchase hardware. Make sure you can upgrade it to handle the things you want to do with it in the future. Otherwise you will be looking at another laptop/computer.

Also, you have to remember you dont need to run the aero interface to get the best out of vista. A machine with 512 will probably run vista good without all the goodies.