PDA

View Full Version : Imformative Post

GRAMPS SS
03-07-2007, 10:26 AM
THINGS YOU NEVER KNEW YOUR CELL PHONE COULD DO
There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies. Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival. Check out the things that you can do with it:

1. Emergency
The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile; network and there is an emergency, dial 112, and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you. Interestingly, this number, 112, can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

2. Have you locked your keys in the car?
Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. If you lock your keys in the car, and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, but if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note: “It works fine! We tried it out, and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!"

3. Hidden Battery Power
Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370# Your cell will restart with this reserve, and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell the next time.

4. How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?
To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone: *#06# A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. If your phone gets stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people’s stealing mobile phones.

5. Free Information Calls
Cell phone companies are charging us $1.00 to $1.75 or more for 411 information calls when they don't have to. Most of us do not carry a telephone directory in our vehicle, which makes this situation even more of a problem. When you need to use the 411 information option, simply dial: (800) FREE 411, or (800) 373-3411 without incurring any charge at all. Program this into your cell phone now.

Josepy
03-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Im going to have try some of these. Will report back later.

sacstoy02gt
03-07-2007, 12:09 PM
more information...

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/cellphones.asp

GRM-REPR
03-07-2007, 12:19 PM
PRO, idk where you found that stuff, but i remember hearing about the remote key fob thing unlocking doors back in like 98' at the dealership, we tried it, and it didnt work..lol

Teufelhunden
03-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Snopes is your friend.

GRM-REPR
03-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Snopes is your friend.

whatever happened to them..hahahahahah

84hurst
03-07-2007, 12:29 PM
pretty cool info. I couldn't get the serial # though. That was the only one I tried so far. Maybe that's because I have a PDA, I dunno.

88Nightmare
03-07-2007, 12:32 PM
#1, #3, and #4 do not work. My phone doesnt have a SIM card anyway, Verizon CDMA FTW. BTW if you want your serial number, remove your battery cover, remove your battery, and look at the sticker :D

CPonyGo
03-07-2007, 12:42 PM
snopes rocks

88Nightmare
03-07-2007, 12:44 PM
and from what I read, its not possible to unlock your car doors over a cell phone. Cell phones and keyless remotes operate on two totally different frequencys and keyless remotes operate by using RF signal, something cell phones are not capable of transmitting.

But at any rate, if your car has keyless entry, its not very likely that you will lock your keys in the car. I dont know about others, but I lock and unlock my truck using the remote and only the remote, so therefore if I was outside of my vehicle and wanted to lock the doors, id have to have my keys in my hand. If the key is in the ignition and the engine is either switched to on, or running and I hit the lock button on my door panel and the door is open, it automatically unlocks itself a second after. But I have onstar too, however I read that if your onstar equipped vehicle has been off for a continuous 48 hours or more, all onstar services are turned off in your vehicle to conserve battery power for engine start up. So if you lock your keys in your car, and more then 48 continuous hours go by, onstar ain't gettin your doors open for ya :D but at any rate, unless my other key breaks and my dog eats the spare keyfob, and my truck has been off for more then 48 hours, I can't picture ever needing a lock smith

88Nightmare
03-07-2007, 12:46 PM
snopes rocks

I actually tried #1, #3, and #4 on my phone, doesnt work. I tried number 4, and that actually works. And I was skeptical about #2 so I looked it up online since I can't try it without driving down the road since my remotes will unlock my truck from inside my house. I've accidentally bumped my panic button while taking a dump in the bathroom, which has no windows and is located dead center in the middle of my house lol

GRAMPS SS
03-07-2007, 01:09 PM
PRO, idk where you found that stuff, but i remember hearing about the remote key fob thing unlocking doors back in like 98' at the dealership, we tried it, and it didnt work..lol

a buddy emailed it to me today...so i thought i would post it..:goof