PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thought....

Arigmaster
03-04-2007, 12:29 PM
I was talking to a friend of mine who owns several Mobile stations in S/E Wisconsin. The discussion was about some new locations he was going to put up in Franklin and up toward Manitowoc. Most of his places have a restauraunt and convienience store rolled into one building.

Anyway, I suggested that he might want to build a retro-style gas station with a custard stand attached or even on the same property. I know this has been done down by Hales Corners but I suggested that he take it further by making an actual drive-in with car hops and actually reserve some of the pumps as full service where they actually check your oil and clean your windows. In addition, they could even make it look retro by using era looking equipment and perhaps on the outside having what looks like service bays (garage doors) is actually the convenience store windows.

So, the discussion turned to the financial end of how to make something like that work. Especially with the fuel prices and staff. I guess it wouldn't really be too busy during the winter but I figured that some people, (elderly, handicaped) might appreciate not having to pump their own gas and be attended to like in the old days. I am sure it would be more expensive for the fuel & food there to take care of the expense but I am wondering if it would be something that would attract your business? I even brought up hosting Cruise nights and annual car shows...

What do you guys think? (good idea or not so good)

84hurst
03-04-2007, 12:39 PM
if he can keep costs to a minimum, it sounds like a very successful buisness venture. I think you're right about older people being especially appreciative of the service. I wish him good luck!:thumbsup

2SLOW
03-04-2007, 01:02 PM
That would be awesome but it would have a big overhead.

Cutlass Queen
03-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Sounds like a good idea and would most likely attract customers during summer if they have weekly carshows and cruise nights throughout the year. Only problem I see is cost. Maybe build something like this in Franklin and the other areas just go with what usually is built.

88Nightmare
03-04-2007, 01:10 PM
I like the idea. might be tough to make it work though. May have to charge a few extra cents per gallon on the full service pumps to pay for those who pump the gas and whatnot. But if he can pull it off, I think it would be very popular. On the downside, depending on location, it may become a hangout for thugs or ricers.....etc. May get police pissed off....