PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Monte Carlo

RanJer
03-01-2007, 09:13 PM
A member of the GM Inside News forum posted today that he received an email from General Motors announcing the end of the Monte Carlo. We rang up the General for confirmation and received word that the Monte Carlo is indeed being offed. May 4th will reportedly be the last day you can order a Monte Carlo and production of the car at GM's Oshawa plant in Canada will cease on June 20th. Apparently production of the Monte Carlo is being cancelled to make room for all those extra Malibu orders the automaker is expecting when the new 2008 model sedan begins production in October. This is the sixth generation Monte Carlo, and when asked if we'd see the name return on a new model in the near future, we got the canned answer from GM, "We do not comment on future product." Sigh. Monte Carlo sales were off 64.2% in January of 2007 with only 1,639 units being sold. In 2006, 34,113 units were sold, a slight improvement over 2005.

Malibu > Monte i guess..

Karps TA
03-01-2007, 09:18 PM
My current 02 Monte has been one of the best cars I've ever had. Besides the normal intake gasket leak I've not had a single problem with the car.

One thing the Monte had going for it was you could atleast tell what the car was unlike so many other cars.

PB86MCSS
03-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Been known for awhile, while the Impala appears it will share the Zeta platform with the new GTO, Camaro, etc, being RWD with a V-8 offered...would of been nice to finally see the Monte return to RWD, but apparently they prefer to use the Impala name, in NASCAR too. Doesn't make much sense to me. Apparently all NASCAR vehicles are 4 door's now anyway.

MARO-MAN
03-01-2007, 11:56 PM
The only thing that GM has done lately that I like is the new Camaro. I wish they would bring back the Trans Am too. They should keep the Impala and the Monte!! Screw the Cobalt!:D

Waver
03-02-2007, 06:33 AM
It is stupid that they are killing the monte right after they start putting a v8 back in it. What they should do is redesign the car as the design has been around for a while.

MARO-MAN
03-02-2007, 08:59 AM
At least they never made the Monte into a 4-door. They should bring it back on a RWD platform. They should bring back the Regal on a RWD 2-door platform too. Turbo 6 for the Regal and a 5.3 for the Monte with an optional 6.0!!:headbang

Crawlin
03-02-2007, 09:14 AM
was still a fwd car....

and we don't sell them all that often unless a customer is looking for the SS.

we have more people coming in desperately wanting AVEO'S compared to Monte Carlo's

Flight_740
03-02-2007, 09:28 AM
I think more cars should be made RWD. I feel that you can just build a more durable car if it's RWD.

BAD LS1
03-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Yeah this is no suprise to me... the Impala is way more popular, now that you can get a Buick LaCrosse with the 5.3 in it too... it was just a matter of time till the monte went away.

MARO-MAN
03-02-2007, 11:58 AM
I think more cars should be made RWD. I feel that you can just build a more durable car if it's RWD.
With traction control now days, why not have more RWD cars?:confused

Flight_740
03-02-2007, 12:07 PM
With traction control now days, why not have more RWD cars?:confused

Thats what im saying. A set of blizaks and TCS. My RWD does pretty well in the snow actually. It's suprising.

PB86MCSS
03-02-2007, 07:15 PM
I was under the impression Montes were selling quite well. I know I see enough newer ones on the streets....

RWD is fine in the snow, before the last 10-15 years do you think people got into an accident every time it snowed out with their RWD vehicles? Its all in what you are used to. I prefered RWD for more driver control in the slippery stuff...granted you lose control easier but you could correct it. Besides, doughnuts in the snow were fun :D.