PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice!

Z28Envy
02-22-2007, 11:08 PM
I bought my car about a month ago from a guy in Ohio. We went there and drove it, made sure i wanted it etc. Before I went he did explain to me that he would have to send me the title because his bank is bank of america and it wasn't a local bank. I take it he got the loan for the car through a dealer and you know that they send your credit app. out to ten banks or so. Anyway I did do some checking around about him before i went to make sure he was a legit guy. He was a member of LS1TECH and also some F-body forums in Ohio. He also has his own website. We agreed that if I decided to buy it that we would do a bill of sale and he would send me the title as soon as the bank gets him the title. Well here's where it starts to turn to crap. After about two weeks of not hearing from him I write to him on LS1Tech and ask him for and update. He said that the bank(different one than bank of america) is still waiting for the bank check I gave him to clear, then he will send the full pay off amount to bank of america to pay off the car. After about another ten days I ask him what is going on and he tells me that BOA lost the title and they are working on getting him some papers. I forgot to mention that he is in the air force and he was getting restationed in Florida for 4 months and he was leaving for there about 4 days after I bought it. So he is handling all of this over the phone. Well it will be two months and he has been getting back to my messages but he is very slow to respond. Now he says that BOA is sending him a scanned copy so he can order a new title. So being that he isn't in Ohio(where car is titled) he will probably have to get paperwork from the DMV so he can get it notarized and than send it back to them. With talking to the guy I do fell that he is telling the truth but I have never heard of a bank holding the titile. Normally they just have a lien holder card. What do you all think about the situation? I can't see this guy trying to screw me over being that he is in the AF.

Reverend Cooper
02-22-2007, 11:26 PM
always assume you are being screwed over and protect yourself. if you do that you wont get screwed. he is not your best fiend or a relative so dont treat this as that cover your own ass period

Car Guy
02-22-2007, 11:36 PM
As far as the bank issues go it's believable. I've run into some crazy sh*t with banks and you'd think that of all places/people they'd have their 'stuff' together, well you'd be very suprised. To find out for sure if he's on the 'up and up' call his bank to 'follow up' or something along those lines just to see if his story holds water with what he's telling you and go from there.....

Car Guy
02-22-2007, 11:38 PM
always assume you are being screwed over and protect yourself. if you do that you wont get screwed. he is not your best fiend or a relative so dont treat this as that cover your own ass period

That's a very good way to deal with things if you want to make sure you don't get the 'short end of the stick', it's sad but true....

Z28Envy
02-22-2007, 11:52 PM
I will try and call his bank and see if it is true. I'm sure that he is working on it but I have never heard of a bank holding the title. He does seem like a legit guy. When I asked him for the lock nut remover(forgot to get it when I was there) he told me that he had lost it and that he would order me a new one. That came to me in less than and week. I do believe most of the story, just can't believe that it would take this long to get the info from the bank.

Car Guy
02-22-2007, 11:55 PM
You'd be suprised how sloppy some banks/credit unions can be, I myself haven't seen it all but I've had my share of headaches.....

Z28Envy
02-23-2007, 12:00 AM
On another note: Is there anything that I can do being as I have a bill of sale? I have looked on the DMV website and it says that if the title isn't available at the time of purchase that you should do a bill of sale. But it doesn't say anything about if it doesn't come to you. Has anyone else ever dealt with something like this. Like I said, I check out the bill of sale before I went and it seemed like it is safe and that it says that I bought it.

Car Guy
02-23-2007, 12:07 AM
On another note: Is there anything that I can do being as I have a bill of sale? I have looked on the DMV website and it says that if the title isn't available at the time of purchase that you should do a bill of sale. But it doesn't say anything about if it doesn't come to you. Has anyone else ever dealt with something like this. Like I said, I check out the bill of sale before I went and it seemed like it is safe and that it says that I bought it.

A bill of sale is good for if you take him to court, it's proof that a transaction was made.....

Z28Envy
02-23-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the help. I don't think it will get to that. I just want to get it registered and get it ready for summer. I'm not going to drive for at least a month anyway. I just didn't think it would take this long. Again thanks for the help guys.

I know I will never purchase a car without the title getting signed right in front of me!

hrsp
02-23-2007, 12:19 AM
[QUOTE=
I know I will never purchase a car without the title getting signed right in front of me![/QUOTE]

YUP..........

pOrk
02-23-2007, 01:41 PM
No title, no purchase.

And I'm with the other guys, banks can be pathetically sloppy when it comes to other peoples stuff. Thats why you gotta double check your bank statements people! My dad just the other day deposited a check in his bank, to find out the next day that it was deposited in someone else's account!

Flight_740
02-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Im not supprised. banks are slow. I have seen it take 2 months to send me a title or lein release.

im in the business. We run into this crap all the time.

GRM-REPR
02-23-2007, 02:45 PM
When I bought my T.A from Wilde in 00'? (shithole), it took them over 5 months to send my title!!!!!! DMV this, bank that, bullshit. Get his bank info if you havent already and call them and see for yourself what the payoff is, then compare numbers. That car isnt yours until it is released from the lien, and the title is in your hands.

I agree with most of the member here, but you need to do more to legitimize the deal, rather than just taking some guys word for it. You will know better next time.

Good luck to ya'.