PDA

View Full Version : don't worry, im still alive

88Nightmare
02-20-2007, 07:51 AM
for those who care, im alive and kickin. for those who don't care, go to hell. I got a temporary job as a pilot car for a semi carrying an oversized load. we started out in south milwaukee, wi around 7am saturday and our final destination is houston, tx. I was finally able to get wireless internet here on my laptop. we are currently in mt. vernon, il. on our way into kentucky, then through tennessee, mississippi, louisianna, and into texas. for those who don't know, a pilot car is like a "spotter" and "blocker" for oversized loaded rigs. I help block traffic when he needs to make turns, run up ahead and block traffic on narrow bridges for him to pass...etc. it pays $1.25 a mile, and so far the driver, who is a really cool guy has paid for all the hotel rooms and meals so far. hes an older guy, bout 70 years old, but he drives like the wind and has a nutsack the size of a bowling ball when it comes to this load. its 14.5ft wide. it is even on the driver side of the trailer, but hangs off 5.5ft on the passenger side of the trailer. the whole truck is about 120ft long. including the tractor, there is 10 axels. total weight from front to back is about 198,000lbs. yup, thats right, 198k pounds. I got plenty of pictures, but they arent digital, its a kodak disposable:rolleyes: after I get paid from this deal, ill go buy me a nice digi cam again, hopefully I wont leave it on the roof of the truck...
anyway, we only got as far as we did because in illinois, on saturday, if you have an over dimensional road, you can only drive till noon, and no travel on sunday. otherwise you have to drive sunrise to sunset. plus we were having massive tire problems on the trailer so we had to stop at multiple truck stops for that. otherwise we hope to get through tennesee today now that all the troublesome tires have been fixed. it'll be fun. when i get back home i will post up pictures. but now you boys can sleep at night, your local post whore is alive!! and yes I have outwhored joe reichard. he even pm'd me the other day asking how I did it, and commended me on such a great job I am doing.

RanJer
02-20-2007, 07:52 AM
I'm sure Joe will be able to sleep at night now.

88Nightmare
02-20-2007, 07:53 AM
hmmm.... seems like someone else needs huked on fonicks

88Nightmare
02-20-2007, 08:14 AM
man i havent posted in 3 days and im still at 8.64 posts per day :D

DirtyMax
02-20-2007, 08:44 AM
Is that $1.25 per mile each way? If so, that's like $2600. Even after you clear expenses...not too bad for a few days work. I hope you took your ma's Saturn to save fuel...

88Nightmare
02-20-2007, 08:52 AM
its one way, but after gas costs, im lookin at about 700 or 800 bucks profit for about a weeks worth of work. and it isnt really work, its just drivin. and no, i took my silverado because it has the cb radio in it and the lightbar, which are necesseties for this task.

pOrk
02-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Sounds like a sweet gig, you doing just the one or does he have other jobs lined up for you?

Breecher_7
02-20-2007, 03:36 PM
$800 a week is not worth that kind of milage on my vehicle, just my oppinion, but what the hell do I know...

pOrk
02-20-2007, 03:44 PM
My car wouldn't make it that far, so not an option for me either way haha

hrsp
02-20-2007, 07:42 PM
My car wouldn't make it that far, so not an option for me either way haha

i feel your pain..lol that is alot of miles on the truck...you'll be catching me sooon enough:rolf :goof

88Nightmare
02-22-2007, 08:00 PM
im not worried about mileage. i like to drive. i bought the truck to drive it, not to sit around and worry about my mileage gettin up there. right now im in Paduca, Kentucky. We had massive trailer problems up in Marion, Illinois. The 3rd part of the trailer sustained damage on the swivel point. it cracked. we had to get a mobile welder out to the truck stop and have him weld it back up. not easy to find a mobile welder down there. we are stopped for the night, but currently the truck is doin good, my pickup and the semi. we hope to be into mississippi by the end of tomorrow. right now im stayin at a days inn. its a badass room. from what i understand right now, all my hotels are covered, i just have to pay for my food and gas in the truck. the truck is gettin about 21.5mpg right now, so that gives me a range of about 505 miles. therefore i can make it to houston on 3 tanks of gas. 3 tanks of gasoline back home and im lookin at total fuel costs of about 300 bucks. with the route we are taking, my total pay should be around $1800 bucks. Subtract my fuel, im down to $1,500 bucks. food aint costin much either. should be good profit. plus i get to travel and the weather here is great. we are havin cloudless skies and around 60 degrees of weather.

BadAzzGTA89
02-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Welcome to my world:thumbsup
P.S the 3rd part is called the stinger and the very front part is the jeep!
You need to get your arss in a Big Rig now were looking:shades

88Nightmare
02-22-2007, 08:49 PM
yup i know what they are called, but most people dont know that on here...