PDA

View Full Version : 91 cavlier help!!!1!!

mattGT95
02-19-2007, 10:25 PM
I've been helping a buddy with a 91 cavalier (3.1L) that wouldn't start. We've replaced the fuel pump, it wouldn't start because it had no spark. turns out it was popping ECM fuses. It would run for about 15 seconds, then pop the 10 amp fuse.

I read on the intarweb in a few places that a lot of people just toss a 15amp in there, so I did, with a meter in line to see how much power it was moving. When it was running it was taking between 14.7 and 15.2 amps constantly. I took it around the block and let it idle for a few minutes while I cleaned up a bit. After a couple of minutes I noticed it wasn't running. I went back out, saw the new 15 amp fuse hadn't popped but the car wouldn't start. :fire

Now, it sits. Any ideas guys? We've gotta get it going as he really needs his car back. I'm still getting fuel out the tail pipe, so i'm assuming i don't have spark again. Its has the coil pack under the damn manifold, stupid chevy, so i guess it could be cooked. but my buddy's boss at midas (who knows his shit) said that usually the fuel management goes is controlled by the ECM and ignition module so that should mean those are both still good.

I'm f'n lost. what do you suggest we check next? How can i test electrical parts like the ignition module?

last resort, and maybe the most important at this point, where's there a good shop that you trust for f'd up electral problems like this?

Car Guy
02-19-2007, 10:36 PM

You might be looking for a needle in a haystack; sounds like it could be a short in a wire. Unless something has been overlooked.....

Waver
02-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Two things that I would start of with, computer, or a wiring issue leading up to the computer.