PDA

View Full Version : GM to buy Chrysler...?

RanJer
02-14-2007, 05:00 PM
DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. (GM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) on Wednesday declined comment on a report it was in talks with DaimlerChrysler AG's North American unit, the Chrysler Group.

"We would decline comment," GM spokeswoman Renee Rashid-Merem said, responding to the report in Germany's Manager Magazin, which cited company sources as saying the talks were in full swing but still at an early stage.

DaimlerChrysler (DCXGn.DE: Quote, Profile, Research) earlier in the day said it was "looking into further strategic options" for Chrysler, raising the possibility the German parent could part company with its money-losing U.S. division.

DaimlerChrysler's Chief Executive Dieter Zetsche declined to provide details on any talks.

taken from: http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSN1434291920070214

Could be interesting?

and from autoblog:
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/02/bigthreetalkning.jpg

Take this for what it is, a rumor about which General Motors and DaimlerChrysler have refused to comment. According to a report today in German magazine Manager Magazin, DaimlerChrysler is in talks to sell its Chrysler Group division to GM. The magazine cites sources within DaimlerChrysler as saying that talks are in full swing but at an early stage. Dieter Zietsche, CEO of DaimlerChrysler, refused to comment on the report when asked at this morning's press conference where the company's Recovery and Transformation plan, a.k.a. Project X, was announced.

So neither side is talking about whether such talks exist, which leads one to speculate that there's some truth to these rumors. GM, however, would not seem to be in a position to purchase a rival domestic automaker with numerous competing products considering that it's just beginning to emerge from its own turnaround and restructuring plan. What's more, we can't imagine the complexities GM would encounter trying to absorb Chrysler's union workforce.

We bet DaimlerChrysler and GM are talking about something, but wouldn't put money on the subject being the wholesale purchase of the Chrysler Group.

Thanks to all who tipped on this!

Prince Valiant
02-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Maybe GM wants to use the hemi in it's cars and trucks? :goof

Feature Pony
02-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Man that would suck!!! Then we will have to let chevy's in mopar shows, and the mopar nats would probably get turned into SUPER MOPAR..LOL

Breecher_7
02-14-2007, 05:50 PM
GM needs to worry about getting themselves out the red, not screwing up another corporation.

Karps TA
02-14-2007, 05:52 PM
I enjoyed how Chrysler is letting go 13,000 employees, so the stock went up almost $6 today.

Nothing says Pride in America like the stock market happy to see more unemployed Americans.

I seriously doubt GM would want Chrysler. GM is having a hard enough time digging themselves out of their union contracts and benefits and they've actually put some work into it. Chrysler is even more buried. Wouldn't be a good buy at all.

BAD LS1
02-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Maybe GM Performance Division will use the hemi as a boat anchor for their marine power division:goof

SSDude
02-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Maybe GM Performance Division will use the hemi as a boat anchor for their marine power division:goof

:rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf

70challenger452
02-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Man that would suck!!! Then we will have to let chevy's in mopar shows, and the mopar nats would probably get turned into SUPER MOPAR..LOL

I don't think they would go that far, their partners in the future, not in 1970, but if chevy's do try to show up at the nats, I thinks there will be a couple cummin's that would not apreciate that:devil

88Nightmare
02-14-2007, 07:18 PM
I don't think they would go that far, their partners in the future, not in 1970, but if chevy's do try to show up at the nats, I thinks there will be a couple cummin's that would not apreciate that:devil

the cummins boys definitely would not appreciate that, since the duramax is puttin out more power :thumbsup :banana1:

MurphysLaw88GT
02-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Oh snap!

Breecher_7
02-15-2007, 07:47 AM
So this may or may not start a $hitstorm but i have a few questions....

This isnt the first negative comment ive heard towards this engine? What gives? Im really picky about my engines and am not biased to one brand or the other and I have yet to find a problem or even a complaint about this engine other then the ticking sound that it makes.

the cummins boys definitely would not appreciate that, since the duramax is puttin out more power :thumbsup :banana1:

This is very true that the D-Max is more powerful, my father has one and it is a awesome truck. But as far as maitenance and reliability, I will personally stick with a inline diesel as they have been used forever and are still used in almost ALL tractors.....If a vehicle that goes well over 400K before it thinks of a rebuild is sticking with the traditional inline design, I think that means somthing.

88Nightmare
02-15-2007, 10:43 AM
no one is quite sure of the mileage capability yet of he duramax's because they are a relatively new engine. time will tell.

Poncho
02-15-2007, 11:07 AM

haha x2.

we might enjoy the higher quality of some cars, but thats about it. Chrysler would be pissed when we make paper footballs and paper basketballs of all their engine designs on paper. At least they can finally get a touchdown.

Teufelhunden
02-15-2007, 12:24 PM
we might enjoy the higher quality of some cars, but thats about it. Chrysler would be pissed when we make paper footballs and paper basketballs of all their engine designs on paper. At least they can finally get a touchdown. Says the guy who blows up a LS2 shortly after owning one.

Feature Pony
02-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Says the guy who blows up a LS2 shortly after owning one.

LOL:headbang how about the early LS1's bending push rods!!!

Poncho
02-16-2007, 01:50 AM
Says the guy who blows up a LS2 shortly after owning one.

can't blame GM for a stupid owner.

Moparjim
02-16-2007, 12:08 PM
This is the dumbest rumor ever. I cannot believe the shit they print. GM already has far too many dealers, far too much North American manufacturing capacity, and their own truck and SUV heavy sales mix and product lines. The two companies have completely duplicate products, assets, and problems they have no benefit to offer each other. Not to mention GM lost 13 billion last year and is BROKE. Thy even sold off their only profitable business, GMAC finance. GM and Ford are in FAR worse shape than DCX. If any of the big 3 were looking to buy or partner with anyone it would be an Asian company to get cheap overseas manufacturing and small car product expertise from them, in exchange for established nameplates and dealer networks in the US. DCX's new deal with Chery and existing deals with Hyundai and Mitsu are good examples of this.

Crawlin
02-16-2007, 12:24 PM
I agree with the man above...

Hopefully GM can stay the path without having to rely on the government to bail them out like mopar in the late 70's/early 80's era

Poncho
02-16-2007, 02:15 PM
all kidding aside, this can't be a correct rumor. hell, it's going to be interesting to see gm, ford, or chrysler survive another 20 years w/out selling off brand names.

Prince Valiant
02-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Hopefully GM can stay the path without having to rely on the government to bail them out like mopar in the late 70's/early 80's eraWhile that bailout certainly saved chrysler in the long run, it was death in the short run.

One of the side-effects of the bailout was that suddenly you had gov't guys overseeing their books/product development/product planning. The reason that almost everything was a K-car derivitave was that the gov't had veto power on many aspects of long-term planning. If it was deemed to costly with high risk, government guys said "no"

The dodge trucks of this era was a perfect example...a great truck in the early 70's (came out in 72), they were getting pretty long in the tooth by early 80's. Dodge wanted to do something to replace the old trucks, but it was determined to be way too expensive. It wasn't until the late 80's early 90's with enough of the debt's paid off that dodge was able to get around to replacing the truck in 94 (though they were able to update their engines by 92), with the old trucks making a 21 year model run.

If GM goes the way chryco did and get's bailed, many favorite products might not see the light of day...and maybe even a division might go the way of oldsmobile.

imo though, I don't think they'll end up needing a bailout...

Baddriver01
02-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Chrysler and GM are supposedly working on a Suburban type line for Chrysler and a Daewoo...I mean Aveo line also

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17186447/

I'm not holding my breath on this one. To be honest, I've never been a Chrysler fan but I bought one anyway. My 04 Pacifica wouldn't start during that cold snap. So I went to the TA in storage (for 2 months) started her up on the first try and jumped the Pacifica. Nice to know that a 9 year old car that sat for 2 months can jump start a new one who's battery was replaced less than 6 months ago AND was driven just hours before??!?

A lot of good could come from a possible merger, but I was hoping for more when Diamler took over, now it apprears they want to bail out ASAP.

Teufelhunden
02-16-2007, 04:09 PM
CNN is now reporting as well: http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/16/news/companies/chrysler_gm/index.htm?eref=rss_topstories

Moparjim
02-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Take your Pacifica in - First couple years had a fairly common issue with the battery/charging system. Other than that and the fact that they are moderately underpowered they have been real decent vehicles, they ride and handle excellent for a crossover, have very nice interior features and utility, etc. A lot of the parts were "borrowed" right off a Mercedes E class such as the 5 link rear suspension, trans, rear end/AWD system. Very good stuff for the price range.