PDA

View Full Version : 2 stage nitrous question

mike90lxII
02-08-2007, 01:24 PM
I am thinking of adding a second stage of nitrous to my mustang untill I get the forced induction set up.

How do most people run there 2nd stage. I wsa thinking of useing a rpm switch with a button on the shifter.

How much nitrous can I run on a stock short block?

I was thinking the 125 kit I have now outta the hole. 75 shot on the button with a 4500rpm to 6000rpm msd rpm switch.

Is this going to be to much. I do have eagle rods and forged pistons with arp hardware in the bottom...

Thanks for any info.....

juicedimpss
02-08-2007, 01:27 PM
I am thinking of adding a second stage of nitrous to my mustang untill I get the forced induction set up.

How do most people run there 2nd stage. I wsa thinking of useing a rpm switch with a button on the shifter.

How much nitrous can I run on a stock short block?

I was thinking the 125 kit I have now outta the hole. 75 shot on the button with a 4500rpm to 6000rpm msd rpm switch.

Is this going to be to much. I do have eagle rods and forged pistons with arp hardware in the bottom...

Thanks for any info.....

i would bring the second kit in with a timer relay.

mike90lxII
02-08-2007, 01:47 PM
What if I run a 200 shot on a time delay to lessen the hit.... That would work....huh
Also I have a 255lph pump do you think that will keep up with the nitrous....

juicedimpss
02-08-2007, 01:59 PM
What if I run a 200 shot on a time delay to lessen the hit.... That would work....huh
Also I have a 255lph pump do you think that will keep up with the nitrous....

not sure on the pump,i always use a dedicated fuel system on my stuff.
the delay timer will take some shock out of the hit,depending on how much delay you dial into it

BAD LS1
02-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Please invest in a wideband.

PS. tapping out of the rail for fuel supply on the wet side of a huge shot does not work for shit.

mike90lxII
02-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Please invest in a wideband.

PS. tapping out of the rail for fuel supply on the wet side of a huge shot does not work for shit.

I had the car dyno tuned so na the fuel ratio is good. in the 125shot it is really rich. I am going to take it to the dyno and have it tuned on the nitrous..
but yeah a wide band may be a good idea...

juicedimpss
02-08-2007, 03:09 PM
I had the car dyno tuned so na the fuel ratio is good. in the 125shot it is really rich. I am going to take it to the dyno and have it tuned on the nitrous..
but yeah a wide band may be a good idea...

waste of time/money.
tune the nitrous at the track...the dyno will NOT load the engine the same as the track will.
there's my .02

HRSEPLA
02-08-2007, 04:44 PM
255l may not fill the bill, if you are stuck with a stock type fuel system maybe add a T rex in line pump.

BAD LS1
02-08-2007, 05:08 PM
No offense... but when wanting to play with a big shot like that you really need to have your shit together.

The stock parts will hold for a while, those motors have forged pistons stock, just dont spin it to the moon and it should stay in one piece.

But you dont have the benefit of a knock sensor to save plugs, head gaskets and possibly the engine, so you need to be real conservative on the timing and keep an eye on the AFR AT ALL TIMES when on the jug.

I wouldnt even do this big of a shot w/o a secondary fuel supply for the kit's wet side, its dumb not to. The thing has such a big hick up to it on the hit when tapped into the rails for the supply on a big shot.

If you arent willing to take the nesecary precautions or have the means im gonna say leave it at a 100 or 150 shot and be happy its in one piece.

FYI, plates or single nozzles are a bad a idea for a big shot too, thats when you see cylinders get starved on an EFI intake thats meant for air.

mike90lxII
02-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Cool glad for the advice..
Is there a way I can tap into the stock fuel system.. T into the stock fuel line and run a fuel pump... I would need a regulator too?

Or can is there a way I can put a bung to run a separate fuel line out of my stock fuel tank?

my kit is rated up to 175 I think I'll stay with that... I ordered a progressive controler today... so I can put in 125 off the line then bring the rest in over a couple seconds....

I do have rods, arp, girdle, forged pistons and the stock rev limiter 6250 so over reving it is not much of a problem...

DoubleAron
02-08-2007, 05:45 PM
I had a stock 120,000 shortblock that I would spray the crap out of. If I was driving it more than likely sometime during the night I would spray it.

I ran a Big shot plate on my Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. I kept it on the low 150hp set-up. I ran a T-rex and a 255lph and didn't seem to have any issues. I would make sure you have some kind of bottle heater either a hillybilly heater or the regular NOS/NX ones. I had my car on a chassis dyno and we tuned it for 1000psi bottle pressure well then try to go to the track on a cool night with only 775psi. Things didn't go so well.

Just learn how to read plugs and know your tune up.