PDA

View Full Version : Is it really worth washing...

Nix
02-08-2007, 12:20 PM
your car in this weather? I was thinking about getting my Grand Prix washed but I really don't want to deal with frozen doors and such. I usually don't get my car washed until spring or around that time and the salt and grit just builds up all through the winter. Can that be really bad for your paint and end up hurting it more so in the long run?

I only ask cause I plan on having this car for a long ass time and would like to prevent any rust/rot.

Just a stupid topic/question I guess.:thumbsup

Flight_740
02-08-2007, 12:23 PM
I would wait a few days for it to warm up a bit. We wash here but we let them dry out in the shop for a bit before bringing them back outside. I think anything above 20 degrees in the sun and you should be good.

Just my 2 cents.

Nix
02-08-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm just getting antsy cause it looks like the salt has turned into a grit and the car just looks fuking nasty. I always wash my cars and like to keep them looking good but this just sucks man.

I was also thinking about waiting a bit cuase I just checked the weather and they are saying by next week it is suppose to be in the low 30's or right around there. But that in its own is another topic about how the weather people can pretty much never get their shit straight.:rolleyes:

Flight_740
02-08-2007, 12:32 PM
I know, mine looks like crap too and I even have a heated wash bay!!

I feel your pain brotha.

Teufelhunden
02-08-2007, 12:39 PM
The car wash lines this Saturday are going to be HUGE.

Nix
02-08-2007, 12:43 PM
The car wash lines this Saturday are going to be HUGE.

Hell yeah they are man. Probably once it hits about 20's-30's like Mike said they are gonna be a zoo. I really don't like the touchless one though cause they never seem to get the car as clean as I would like it to be.

I can't wait till summer when I can just handwash my cars and clean up the wheels along with giving the interior some TLC.

Also the most important bring out my TA from hibernation!!!:headbang :headbang

A B4C Z
02-08-2007, 12:46 PM
I washed my car everyday this week so far.

So yes its worth it

Kyle

GRAMPS SS
02-08-2007, 12:48 PM
I'm Waiting To Wash Mine This Weekend...i'll Sit In Line.....she Is Full Of Salt......matter Of Fact She Is White And The Car Is Green.....salt For Your Food Anyone.....

88Nightmare
02-08-2007, 01:03 PM
you dont have to worry about doors freezing. If you go to a touchless, take full advantage of drying times. You should have no problems.

Flight_740
02-08-2007, 01:09 PM
you dont have to worry about doors freezing. If you go to a touchless, take full advantage of drying times. You should have no problems.

Mine stick open!! I go to get in the car, close my door, and the thing pops open. The door handles freeze.

RanJer
02-08-2007, 01:09 PM
I really don't like the touchless one though cause they never seem to get the car as clean as I would like it to be.

Read before posting, newb.

88Nightmare
02-08-2007, 01:13 PM
lol, you call me a newb?

RanJer
02-08-2007, 01:17 PM
lol, you call me a newb?

It would appear as though I did, yes.

I'd just hold off a few days on the washing. Now you just have a protective layer of salt/grime.... keeping the paint safe from more nastyness :)

GRM-REPR
02-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Nick, if you dont wash it soon, your engine bearings will start to sieze! If you dont get the underside of the car washed, the tranny will will slip!

This all happens because the salt on the road evaporates into a gas. This gas then seeps into your crankcase and transpan. I washed mine 4-5 times already to avoid this.

GrimReeper7.0 told me all this helpful stuff before he disappeared.:rolf :rolf :rolf

FANAT1C
02-08-2007, 01:33 PM
I really don't like the touchless one though cause they never seem to get the car as clean as I would like it to be.

I can't wait till summer when I can just handwash my cars and clean up the wheels along with giving the interior some TLC.

Very true on the touchless wash.
If we're going to have a a good week with high % of sun I'll run through a touchless to get a majority of the "sandpaper" off then go to a scrub-a-dub to finish it up. Although there's extra costs that method seems to work pretty good for me. Keep in mind gas station and other quicky car wash places are for my daily driver. Hand wash only for the cars in the garage. :D

PureSound15
02-08-2007, 03:07 PM
My black carpet mats are now a grey color with an attractive crust around the outside.

I'm not a fan of the crust :( Winter does suck for a person who's semi OCD about having a clean car.

Teufelhunden
02-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Mine stick open!! I go to get in the car, close my door, and the thing pops open. The door handles freeze.My VW does the same thing. The heat gun stays plugged in at my garage. It sucks...

Arigmaster
02-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Yea... Just tell them to blow the water out of the locks... :rolf

http://preview.abrown937.photosite.com/~photos/tn/8360322_348.ts1170975534000.jpg

wikked
02-08-2007, 06:32 PM
I washed mine today, front half is ice free, the back half has ice on it :)
I'll blade it off later once it melts in the garage.

Flicktitty
02-08-2007, 09:13 PM
i haven't washed my truck for a REALLY REALLY long time. i'd say 4 months?

TransAm12sec
02-08-2007, 09:34 PM
I'd recommend going to a do it yourself car wash, such as the one by 107th and Brown Deer. Rinse the underside of the car as good as you can, in order to get as much of the salt off. Just make sure the water you're spraying on the car doesn't have salt in it, which that place may have had once.