PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System Rules Assistance Needed

TopStreetDsm
02-08-2007, 02:18 AM
Hey Guys!

I am wondering if anyone here either knows, or knows somebody that knows about the Tech Rules concerning Mechanical Fuel pumps?

I am going to be running a mechanical fuel pump this season and I am slightly confused...:confused The Rule book states:

Location: All fuel tanks, lines, pumps, valves, ect. must be outside of the driver's compartment and within the confines of the frame and/or steel body.

This is all fine and dandy but... How or where do I mount a fuel shut off valve then? The book also states:

Pumps/Valves: Cars with non-OEM-type mechanical fuel pumps must have a quick-action fuel-shutoff valve within easy reach of driver and be located in the main fuel line between the fuel tank and the carburetor and/or injectors.

These two seem to contradict each other. My first thought was to just run 2 holes in the body. One line in to a fuel filter with shutoff built in, and then a line through the other hole back under the car. But it the first quote is accurate, then this is not allowed. I dont know how I am going to reach a shut off if the damn thing is under the car???

After looking in a Behlings catolog... I have seen several Dash mount shut off's. This leads me to believe that the circle track rules are just different about this, or that the shutoff valve IS allowed. They also show valves that appear to have a hole on the end of the lever. This makes me think the NHRA is wanting you to try and run some sort of a linkage to the valve with the valve itself being mounted under the chassis.

I am unsure and want to plan this right so I can be rockin some good times come opening day. Any good assistance is appreciated!

Thanks,

Jake

juicedimpss
02-08-2007, 10:13 AM
they are going to want linkage through the firewall,not fuel lines coming into the car.

TopStreetDsm
02-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks Ron!!!

I am going to retro fit a parachute cable to get this taken care of then. Thanks for the help man!

Jake

juicedimpss
02-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks Ron!!!

I am going to retro fit a parachute cable to get this taken care of then. Thanks for the help man!

Jake

parachute cables are for racecars.
:rolf