PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

Heat Seeker WS6
02-06-2007, 09:19 AM
Whos using it and what are some pros/ cons it you've seen? Im looking at getting a new PC and am undecided on the OS.

Breecher_7
02-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Bought a new labtop with vista on it yesterday, not sure if i like it yet. Seems less user friendly. Gonna have to drop it off at our buddy at milwaukee pc and have him shut off all the nonsense that runs with it that seems to be doing nothing but slow it down. it looks cool, but I think i like xp pro better.

PureSound15
02-06-2007, 09:31 AM
I have Vista but I got as a bundle pack in November, so it came with a Beta of vista and then I get a copy of the final release in the mail sometime this week.

If your machine can handle it, the graphics and such are pretty neat but otherwise I don't think its that much different, honestly.

Myles
02-06-2007, 09:33 AM
its faster if you have the right amount of ram (2 gigs or more) and the right video card (nvidia geforce 6500+ or ATI Equivalent) It handles everything better. Has shit tons of options and i think its a wonderful OS.

theavenger333
02-06-2007, 09:34 AM
just bought my sister a new machine, came with Vista. a ton less user friendly, but a very stylish program. good luck trying to install many programs, they don't work on Vista. her old digital camera program doesn't work on it at all, nor do any of the Emulators she has

wikked
02-06-2007, 12:01 PM
It's "alot less user friendly"... because you don't know how to navigate it yet, and most likely have years of XP experience.
Tell me again in 2011 and I'll believe ya. :)

Honestly, there is no reason to upgrade to Vista as of now.
There isn't even a driver for one of the most popular network cards on the planet, I was absolutely shocked. (Linksys LNE100TX - gotta use XP driver).

BigSnailBuick
02-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Hint- Never buy a new os untill a service pack comes out :) And good luck ripping dvd's and such, vista is not illegal content friendly.:goof

Myles
02-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Hint- Never buy a new os untill a service pack comes out :) And good luck ripping dvd's and such, vista is not illegal content friendly.:goof

that will be fixed :thumbsup

xxsn0blindxx
02-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Considering that Vista Ultimate is what I would want/need and costs in the hundreds of dollars, I will not be using Vista any time soon.

Brandon W.
02-06-2007, 12:12 PM
i wont be getting vista unless i get a new computer. i hear there is a new Service pack coming out for XP in the near future.

JR HAWK 9
02-06-2007, 01:03 PM
I have been playing around with Vista Ultimate after I installed it on one of my spare PC's. It's definitely different as it has a fancy GUI. I was able to customize a lot of it to look more like 98, but not as much as I was to XP.

Goat Roper
02-06-2007, 01:34 PM
A friend of mine backed out his install of Vista, first time he has ever backed out an OS upgrade due to quality.

His notes included:

· Media center has only a couple of improvements and many times more crippling. Video’s don’t show as a list, just the more cutesy thumbnails, dogshit slow navigation… on the 3.0Ghz box – c’mon, assed out navigation in general.

· Media and codecs… don’t even bother. You thought you’ve seen slow video, out of sync etc before?! Hah!

· Driver support = beta for many if they exist at all.

· The Joke of security by prompting 4 times during a single app install. Why not just once every install or once every 5 minutes or so like Ubuntu?

JR HAWK 9
02-06-2007, 01:36 PM
I, personally, would never do an upgrade of any OS.......it's always best to do a clean install.

1quickgtp
02-06-2007, 01:46 PM
ive been building machines w/ vista for the past 2 weeks with NO problems. great over all OS, granted I have a HELL of a lot more time behind it than all you guys, but its VERY user friendly, thats why it was written the way it is!!!

security is GREAT compared to XP!
illegal copying ( Ive ripped more than 30 dvds already on OEM vista :-p )
drivers, yes a couple here an there, its only 2 weeks old what do you expect?

overall, its great. not buggy as xp when it first came out.

JR HAWK 9
02-06-2007, 01:49 PM
I just hate all the added GUI crap......to me it makes it more difficult to find your way around.

even with XP I have most everything related to the XP GUI minimized so it looks more like 98 than XP.

1quickgtp
02-06-2007, 01:59 PM
understandable JR hawk, but thats why you have to get used to the format, your in the PC field (I think ), it keeps changing, so you need to change an adapt fast or your going to get lost!!!

Myles
02-06-2007, 02:01 PM
computers are gay.

1quickgtp
02-06-2007, 02:01 PM
computers are gay.

I totally concur with that, try fixing these mother ****ers everyday

Myles
02-06-2007, 02:04 PM
I totally concur with that, try fixing these mother ****ers everyday

I am head guy person in charge of IT for this conglomerate of companies i work for. I am currently working on connecting a business we own in utah to the main hub here.

I cry myself to sleep because of it.

pOrk
02-06-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm still getting used to Windows 3.1

wikked
02-06-2007, 02:19 PM
I just hate all the added GUI crap......to me it makes it more difficult to find your way around.

even with XP I have most everything related to the XP GUI minimized so it looks more like 98 than XP.

Yea... that's going to be your downfall in the long run :)
Look at the guys with mullets, they're trying damn hard to pretend it's still 1985.
You can't avoid change, either go with it, or you'll be left behind and totally lost as each and every new thing comes around. :goof

1quickgtp
02-06-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm still getting used to Windows 3.1

dos ALL the way!

xxsn0blindxx
02-06-2007, 02:45 PM
dos ALL the way!

I kid you not we just took on a customer that is going to run DOS on their systems. I had to brush up on connecting DOS to TCP/IP :punch:

Every new release of Windows is met with resistance, but eventually it will become mainstream. There will be problems initially and probably more later mostly caused by stupid users.

Heat Seeker WS6
02-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks all for your input! I did some window shopping today as well and ended up buying a Compaq SR2030NX w/ XP from Officemax in Brookfield for 369.00! 200Gig HDD, 1024MB SDRAM & dual layer/light scribe DVD burner. They marked $180 off of it making way for the new Vista loaded machines. I thought it was a great buy for the buck so I got it. Theres a few left if anyone needs a cheap machine and it is Vista capable.