PDA

View Full Version : Credit/debit card shennanigans!

Prince Valiant
02-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Just had this happen to me....anyone know more about it?

Basically this is what happened:

Went to eat at Qdoba's, Debit card DENIED. Thought to myself...that's odd. Must be something wrong with the communications of the vendor to the bank.

Tried the card later at Blockbuster. DENIED. Still the same thing I thought....but, figured I'd try going to an ATM machine and seeing what happens.

At the ATM machine, I pulled out 40 bucks and got the balance back. A full 1300 bucks was missing from the balance :wow

What the hell? I always know how much is in, what's coming out when, etc...now I know something is fishy, but unfortunately my bank doesn't have 24 hour service (will be changing banks soon) to find out whats going on. Must wait till Monday.

Sunday, tried the card again at a gas pump...DENIED again. Good, I think to myself.

Went inside to check if the balance was the same as last night, or if maybe there was some error in the system. Same balance.

Go in to the bank this morning and inquired as to what was going on...checked my statements and found that I had charged:
250 bucks at a Racetrac in Baton Rouge.
211 bucks at a SAV-A-LOT in New Orleans
189 bucks at a SAV-A-LOT in Baton Rouge
And finally, 597 bucks at a Wal-Mart...that by this time had been re-credited to my number.

I've never recieved a call from Visa about the unusual purchases...

It looks as if Wally world caught the forgery/fraud and thus the card was not to be used as a credit card anymore...but I could still use it as a debit card provided that I used my pin number.

The card had never been used on the internet, never been out of my sight, I've never been to Louisianna, and I keep all reciepts, and have never had a number on them.

The bank says that there has been a rash of card forgery, where they in effect just make a stab at a number. They know little if nothing else, and just make a fake card.

This doesn't make total sense to me...like what about experiation dates, and the final three numbers on the back of the cards...but has anyone heard about this, know anything about it?

pOrk
02-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Crazy, people are trash

600 bucks at walmart? Somebody got a new TV

LIL EVO
02-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Id be willing to bet those are all cartons of cigarettes

rally_scort
02-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Id be willing to bet those are all cartons of cigarettes

Newport King 100s would be my bet

wikked
02-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Ever used it at a Tyme machine where it didn't work?
Coulda been a Lebanese Loop:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanese_loop

GRAMPS SS
02-05-2007, 09:07 PM
my wife was just telling about that kind of crap going on yesterday....they just take numbers at random and make up a card for that account....sorry to hear that happened to you....will the bank give ya your cash back at least....

GRAMPS SS
02-05-2007, 09:10 PM
remember my thread about a week ago on this subject.....there are so many ways to get your number....then they probully sell the account number to someone.....i've been real learey when i use my cards now.....

Myles
02-05-2007, 10:17 PM
People are able to randomly generate card numbers then they will guess at the most logical dates, same with the code on the back. They then brute force it on various things untill one comes back approved. Thats how they are able to do it. Least thats how shit was done while back..

SlowStee
02-06-2007, 12:10 AM
damn dude!! :wooo

Prince Valiant
02-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Yeah...it's all taken care. All my money is back.

I'll be switching banks though, to one that gives me a little more protection and access to help when I see a problem.

Yooformula
02-06-2007, 08:50 PM
who do you have now? We left TCF because our theft issue and how crappy slow the response was.

johnny--2k
02-06-2007, 09:14 PM
USBANK. I had a mere $400 in fraud charges and they called my house withing a day of the charges happening, credited my account immediately and went after the money themselves. Free online banking and bill pay as well.

If you decide to switch to them, go to the one on Calhoun and Bluemound and ask for Shan Finn or Jake. Tell them John Hennes sent you in. They will take care of you. Been there since I was 16, never had a problem with them yet. I even worked at that branch for about 6 months.

Lash
02-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Interesting.

We are using TCF right now. Maybe we should switch. This kind of stuff scares the crap out of me.

GTSLOW
02-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Wow that sucks!! I use my card for everything, starting to get worried about things nowadays. This is just get ridiculous.

Prince Valiant
02-07-2007, 01:48 PM
who do you have now? We left TCF because our theft issue and how crappy slow the response was.
I have port state bank (same account since I was young)

going to M&I bank...

wikked
02-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Associated Bank FTW.
They have very modern security tactics online & such.

And If they're good enough for the Packers, hey why not.