PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of resurecting a 99 Firebird...

Keyser Zosig
02-03-2007, 11:40 AM
This 99 Firebird is rolling through the insurance auction next week, its pretty hammered but nothing that I havent handled before. Likely needs a upper and lower radiator support, air bags, windshield, radiator, other miscellaneous piesces, plenty of frame shop time and of course a front clip.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/745000-745999/745546_50_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/745000-745999/745546_51_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/745000-745999/745546_52_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/745000-745999/745546_53_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/745000-745999/745546_54_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/745000-745999/745546_55_full.jpg

Its a 99 LS1 A4 Firebird, 40K, t-top, leather, and a clear title. Pretty big job, will take some money in parts, its black so thats a selling point for me (last 5 cars were black)

Bet I can get it dirt cheap, plenty of work, still contemplating it. I replaced air bags on f-bodys before, its fun, ripping the entire dash out. But usually when it comes back from the frame shop its just a matter of buttoning things up. Been meaning to get my hands on a LS1, its nice to pay cash for a car and not finance and this is an easy way to do that. BTW not just anyone can bid at these dealer only auctions, my family owns and operates a dealership and salvage yard so I have access.

Thinking of going for it, they kept the title clear so its still worth something if I want to sell it later on. Knowing me I wont want to get rid of anything to make room for this one and will justify somehow having 5 vehicles. I have a big heart when it comes to cars.

84hurst
02-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Definately looks pretty crunched up. From the doors back it looks decent though. Looks to have a couple of bolt ons like a strut tower brace and WS6 wheels. How much is "pretty cheap?" 3-4 grand? Looks like at least that in repairs! Good luck with it (if you buy it).

95 TA - The Beast
02-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Hey Yoosef, that is George's old car...

I can tell because it is teh STB I sold/put on for him, it has the FTRA ram air setup I helped him put in, the SLP MAF, the Hooker exhaust he got from you, and the dead giveaway the polished Z06 wheels with the black capped lugs... Looks like he even polished off the trans-am logo and firebird off the taillight filler panel like he was talking about (you know hwo much he liked his taillight blackouts and the whole 'black and ominous' look)...

Damn, if I am correct and it is his car, I really hope he didn't get hurt or anything... I wonder what happened? :eek:

For everyone else, if it is his car it is a local one with a damn good tranny in it (he went through hell with the dealership to get the tranny done properly under warranty after the original one died on him)...

Crawlin
02-03-2007, 01:02 PM
i remember him... wasn't that MY hooker exhaust? i completely forgot...

as for the guy purchasing the car, if you do... i have both sets of air bags laying around. although being a T/A, my driver's side one won't work since i have a camaro

Yooformula
02-03-2007, 01:19 PM
yup that is George's old car!! He sold it about 3 months ago to a fellow cop and the guy was actually driving that thing around in the crappy weather. I told him to get a cheap beater!!! I just saw it 2 week ago when I was driving around too, wow.....what a shame. Another one bites the dust.

Yooformula
02-03-2007, 01:20 PM
That car was NEVER beat on. George would barely get on the damm thing after his last accident. He babied that car hardcore too.

WilliamZ
02-03-2007, 02:23 PM
What's the starting price on it?

Keyser Zosig
02-03-2007, 04:44 PM
My ball park is 2,900 to 3,500. I figured someone would know that car, it doesnt take long for the insurance auction to process through a claim. Was wondering about the 4L60E, obviously would rather have a 6 speed but cheap is cheap. Thats cool to hear some history on the car, otherwise its all a mystery till you rip it apart.

946speedz
02-03-2007, 05:15 PM
ill take the wheels of ya when you get it :)

TransAm12sec
02-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Props to you if you take on the work.

97z2801ss
02-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Go for it dont let it die

Heat Seeker WS6
02-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Go for it & bring it back from the dead!!

Mine.....sorry for the crappy pic

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k213/Heat_Seeker_WS6/P1010157.jpg

BAD LS1
02-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Im sure Keith can chime in here too...

Part it out... that thing is ****ed. There is no way to correctly fix that thing. Im sure the underside looks like an accordian and you would spend way more than thing is worth and it would be a half assed job that wouldnt fend well in another accident... Metal can only be stretched so many times...

The driveline, wheels, and various interior parts are useable as well as some rear most body panels. Im sure the exhaust is junk as well as the headers, those are the first thing to wad up when taking a major structural deformation like that.

Its a nice thought but they total cars for a couple reasons... Cost and safety in another accident.

And John... yours was no where near damaged as bad as the above car...

Heat Seeker WS6
02-04-2007, 03:31 PM
And John... yours was no where near damaged as bad as the above car...

I never said it was as damaged but almost everything not on the car in that pic was replaced- not just fixed so It'd be half assed. Also it was taken after a ton of work was already done.
If he thinks he can do it and has done similar work before- definately go for it.:headbang

Lash
02-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Im sure Keith can chime in here too...

Part it out... that thing is ****ed. There is no way to correctly fix that thing.

Yeah...I was gonna say something but I didn't want to burst his bubble...lol.

subliminal1284
02-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Ive seen worse fixed dont let these people discourage you. As long as the frame isnt that bad it IS fixable

Lash
02-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Ive seen worse fixed dont let these people discourage you. As long as the frame isnt that bad it IS fixable

Yeah...I'm gonna go ahead and say it's worse than you might think.

Keyser Zosig
02-05-2007, 11:43 AM
I have talked with my brother with the salvage yard, he is hot on it too for parts purposes. So if nothing else, we get it and its crunched more than I would like, then it gets cut up.

This insurance auction looks these things over very well before they issue a clear title. They have parameters that a car must meet in order to ever be considered for reconditioning. I have had a couple cars hit as bad, f-bodys, one creamed a telephone pole and shoved the radiator into the serpentine belt cutting it. And after I sent it out and got it back together it drove fine. Had it up on a lift and tram gauged it, was spot on.

Its always a lot of work, but its work that eventually you pay yourself back for. So will see what it goes for, sometimes you get these internet bidders that send the bids much higher than the cars worth. If it were branded a salvage title then I would not consider it, but since its not there is some potential there.

The auction is on this wed, will be there.

USMARINE1108
02-05-2007, 10:19 PM
That drivers side door isn't looking too good........ Anyone know if it has subframe connectors on it?

Keyser Zosig
02-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Well on wednsday I was in on it till it hit 4 grand, then I walked away. Some internet bidder ran the thing up, so I walked. Wasn't really worth it to me at that price, not even in parts.

My brother with the salvage yard picked up a mint 97 Ram 1500 4X4 360 at that same auction, I might buy it off him to replace my GMC work truck... so the day wasnt a total loss.