PDA

View Full Version : Car wash favorites...

RedGSX
02-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Just wondering on everyone's choice on where they go for car washes. Looking for new places to go. I usually go to a self power wash.

nismodave
02-01-2007, 08:24 PM
The Citgo on Brown Deer road, just west of the Honda dealer on 91st.

I only go to touchless, and their's does a great job.

In the summer its all hand wash.

BTW.....Self power wash sucks.

Its ok if you use a sponge.......But even if you get the grime off, I have never used one where the wand rinsed it clean.

If you have a work van or beater car, where you dont care about the finish......Its ok. But then just go to Scrub A Dub to get the basic crap off.

Yes.....Im really into washing my cars.:loser

wikked
02-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Since I can't use the drive-thru wash ever, in winter I use the DIY stalls at that new place in Butler across the road from C&S.

:thumbsup

nismodave
02-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Since I can't use the drive-thru wash ever, in winter I use the DIY stalls at that new place in Butler across the road from C&S.

:thumbsup

Wikked.....Try the Citgo on HWY 100 North of Lincoln. There is nothing on the floor that will hit your lowered car.

I dont remember if its the same on the one on Brown Deer.

88Nightmare
02-01-2007, 08:57 PM
with my truck, im limited to places I can go because of the height restrictions. There is a touchless in Oak Creek here, but if you have real heavy grime, like there is now with all this salt/dirt spray and splatter, the touchless sometimes cant break through that surface, therefore im forced to go to a place that isnt touchless. When there is little dirt on the truck, the touchless works great.

UnderPSI
02-01-2007, 11:38 PM
PDQ Touchless on Hwy 59 and West ave in Waukesha. Best touchless I have ever been to.

theavenger333
02-01-2007, 11:51 PM
full Service? Octopus on Green Bay in milwaukee owns. do a GREAT job. one of the best touchless gas station washers is downtown, at Minellis Citgo, on Plankinton. i've also taken a liking to the Shell on Bradley road, just west of Teutonia. their Dryer stays on until you pull the car out, no timer!

Yooformula
02-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Poor richards on hwy 100/ok no bars on the floor and decent dry time. Dry time is key with touchless. The Mobil downtown on Water st next to the McD's ROCK!! They have almost 2 min of dry time and the longest wash I have ever seen and they are cheap!

88Nightmare
02-02-2007, 12:08 AM
im still worried about height requirements.... are there touchless washes out there that can remove lots of dirt, like the kind of dirt/salt crap cars are seeing right now? maybe im just worried all touchless washes will be like the one ive been to...

WilliamZ
02-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Touchless never gets the car completely clean. Sometimes the Scrub-a-dub $3.25 wash isn't a bad choice. I hate spending $7 at a touchless and still having a dirty car.

GRAMPS SS
02-02-2007, 08:16 AM
i have 2 places....if i have the time i go to germantown wash on pilgrim,north of meqoun rd about a 1/2 mile on the right, across from daves house, if i have time i toss a few eggs that way...just kidding dave...i aim for joes stang.. and do the auto wash....if i don't have the time i go to suburban on appleton ave just north of silver spring...they do my windows and vac the car for me......

juicedimpss
02-02-2007, 08:51 AM
im still worried about height requirements.... are there touchless washes out there that can remove lots of dirt, like the kind of dirt/salt crap cars are seeing right now? maybe im just worried all touchless washes will be like the one ive been to...

i have never had issues with the height of my burban,only the length...a few touchless will touch the trailer hitch reciever if you leave it in.
:rolf

xxsn0blindxx
02-02-2007, 09:07 AM
The BP on the corner of HWY TT and 18 has a good carwash, but unless you live near there its not worth seeking out. I like the Laserwash 2000 touchless washers. I know they're good because they're the only ones that make water leak in the corner of my door windows:D I handwash when weather permits and just do touchless when I can't. Touchless isn't great, but its better than nothing and better than the nasty swirls left by brush washes and places that handwash dozens of cars a day with the same washmit.

88Nightmare
02-02-2007, 09:40 AM
i have never had issues with the height of my burban,only the length...a few touchless will touch the trailer hitch reciever if you leave it in.
:rolf

I got the lightbar on, and it gets really effin close to that, but it hasnt hit it yet. im worried about goin through scurb a dub with that on. think it would clear?

wikked
02-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Wikked.....Try the Citgo on HWY 100 North of Lincoln. There is nothing on the floor that will hit your lowered car.

I dont remember if its the same on the one on Brown Deer.

I wish it was lowered :goof
You can't run convertibles through a car wash, you'll end up with 10 gallons of water inside the car/on you.
Doesn't matter if you have a old p.o.s. or a brand new '07 BMW vert, they ALL leak badly going through car washes.

I found out the hard way years ago :)

juicedimpss
02-02-2007, 10:08 AM
I got the lightbar on, and it gets really effin close to that, but it hasnt hit it yet. im worried about goin through scurb a dub with that on. think it would clear?

i have the roof rack on mine..??

88Nightmare
02-02-2007, 10:12 AM
my lightbar setup adds about another 6-8" of height to the vehicle. and plus with my tax return coming and a superlift on its way, i think ill be real fvcked at the car wash lol. who has any hot sisters that wanna make some money washin a truck???

jbiscuit
02-02-2007, 10:16 AM
PDQ Touchless on Hwy 59 and West ave in Waukesha. Best touchless I have ever been to.

+1

Flight_740
02-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Touchless washes strip the wax off your car.

88Nightmare
02-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Touchless washes strip the wax off your car.

really? I didnt know that. I knew that with brush washes, if they dont keep em clean, it can really screw up your finish. which is why you should never go to a scrub a dub on a busy day :D

Flight_740
02-02-2007, 10:40 AM
really? I didnt know that. I knew that with brush washes, if they dont keep em clean, it can really screw up your finish. which is why you should never go to a scrub a dub on a busy day :D

Yea they do. Think about it. The setup needs to clean your car without touching it so the soap/chemicals they use have to be real strong and along with cleaning the car, they strip the wax off as well. Thats why if you go through with a black or dark car, it actually looks like your paint is cloudy.

wikked
02-02-2007, 12:23 PM
I knew that with brush washes, if they dont keep em clean, it can really screw up your finish. which is why you should never go to a scrub a dub on a busy day :D

Time for Mythbusters on this one.

The myth probably started when they actually used a automated towel rack thinger to dry your car instead of forced air like they use now.
They also didn't get cars very clean back in the day.
The combination of the two - THAT I could see scratching a car.

With the constant barrage of soap & water & waxes the "brushes"* see, plus all of that hitting your car as well, they don't have time to accumulate dirt really.

*All the Scrub A Dubs use Microfiber cloths as well, not some hard bristly plastic spikes :goof

I took my Talon to Scrub A Dubs all the time in winter, huge 20+ car lines, never saw a scratch, and I'd definitely notice.

84hurst
02-02-2007, 12:59 PM
+1

That's right on my way to work. Hmmmm, I'll have to check it out some time.

johnny--2k
02-03-2007, 12:45 AM
Self Wash: HWY 18 & 164, National & Coffee
Touchless: Poor Richards, Citgo on HWY & Lincoln
Regular: Full Service between Galleria West and Acura of Brookfield....only one with brushes I'll go to.

Junky Giorgio
02-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Lawlery I cant believe your even considering running the STi thru a car wash! holy$h!t I just hand wash my whips in the 9 bay 70* heated garage at my work~ :shades

UnderPSI
02-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Can you do side work there Junky?? I need my truck washed!

xxsn0blindxx
02-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Touchless carwashes do not strip the wax off, unless you're using some really crappy wax. During the summer when i don't have time to handwash I'll take my car through the touchless and the paint still beads afterwords and trust me its not from the "foaming polish" (what a joke) that the car wash uses. As for the newer brush washes not scratching, they definitely still scratch. I don't mean deep irreparable scratches, but the swirling marring that you have to polish out. I'm pretty anal about paint care, but I think it pays off.

http://www.extremepsi.org/gallery/albums/Joe-s-Misc-Pics/IMG_0436.jpg
http://www.extremepsi.org/gallery/albums/Joe-s-Misc-Pics/IMG_0440.jpg
http://www.extremepsi.org/gallery/albums/Joe-s-Misc-Pics/IMG_0439.jpg

johnny--2k
02-03-2007, 08:36 PM
you dont know anal until you own a black car in wisconsin that gets driven year round. Garage queens are different stories, I had one too and it's much easier to care for when it sees no rain and no snow.

wikked
02-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Can you do side work there Junky?? I need my truck washed!

x2 -truck +car :(

http://www.wikked.com/98/sigh.jpg

hrsp
02-04-2007, 02:05 PM
^dayum..clean dat bitccch..lol

A B4C Z
02-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Hand washes all the time. The perks of working at a dealer.

Junky Giorgio
02-04-2007, 09:53 PM
took the words out of my mouth Kyle~

wikked
02-04-2007, 10:39 PM
took the words out of my mouth Kyle~

as he doesn't answer the questions posted to him =P

RedGSX
02-04-2007, 11:27 PM
Lawlery I cant believe your even considering running the STi thru a car wash! holy$h!t I just hand wash my whips in the 9 bay 70* heated garage at my work~ :shades

What time should I swing by? :D How much do you cost? ;) Yeah I have to wash my car fast, but this cold weather would turn my car into a popsicle, mud flaps and clear bra only do so much.

johnny--2k
02-05-2007, 08:54 AM
popsicle, you mean like this....nice ice covered rims.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/johnny--2k/05TL/IMG_4488.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/johnny--2k/05TL/IMG_4489.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/johnny--2k/05TL/IMG_4491.jpg

xxsn0blindxx
02-05-2007, 09:43 AM
you dont know anal until you own a black car in wisconsin that gets driven year round. Garage queens are different stories, I had one too and it's much easier to care for when it sees no rain and no snow.

Been there done that. My van is black as you you may remember, but I don't give a rat's behind what that beater looks like since it got retired to winter beater status. BTW, this is Joe Ng.

johnny--2k
02-05-2007, 10:01 AM
ahh yeah.....but a beater is different. Mine still has to look good in summer.

hrsp
02-05-2007, 02:05 PM
went to a carwash on 84th and layton...9.00bucks for wash.........