PDA

View Full Version : The Valiant's new purpose...

Prince Valiant
02-01-2007, 04:22 PM
...well, it's still going to be a beater :)

But one that gets good gas mileage and still turns mid 14's in the quarter (southside, here i come!)

BUT, since I am going to be putting my effort/money into the duster this summer, I've decided that the valiant will stick around as a fun beater for the time being. The current 360 is sold, and the 833 manual trans will likely be going soon too...but that's okay. I've got the original Overdrive trans and a tired 318 laying around to play with.

The plan is this...go back to what the first, and still my favorite iteration of the valiant was.

The 'teen will be built to the following specs:
9:1 compression
stock heads with 3 angle valve job and some home porting.
Cam with ~ 210-216 degrees duration @ .050
Eddy performer intake
Holley 4160 600cfm carb
Hedman headers
My old electronic ignition

Hopefully this would net around 250hp or so...nothing wild.

The drivetrain will be this:
833OD tranny. Ratios:
1st: 3.09:1
2nd: 1.65:1
3rd: 1.00:1
4th: 0.76:1

Combine that with 3.21 rear end ratio (it'll keep the auburn locking diff) and that should net me a final drive ratio of 2.44:1. At 65 mph, my engine should be going along at a comfortable 2200 rpms.

The original 360/OD tranny/2.94 geared combo netted me 14.2's with a very similar build of engine (and 13.7's once I went to 3.90's). I am hoping that the loss of cubic inches will be off-set by the increase in gearing. The first engine also had a little more cam timing...but again, with less cubic inches, I want less cam timing for similar vacuum numbers/idle quality.

My goal for fuel mileage is this: ~25mpg on the hwy.

The great thing is that I have most all of this stuff already, so the cost should be minimal.

This should be interesting :thumbsup and if it's not, cheap anyways. :(

Prince Valiant
02-01-2007, 04:25 PM
...and oh yeah. It would probably STILL have beaten boss's lightning :D

BOSS LX
02-01-2007, 04:38 PM
...and oh yeah. It would probably STILL have beaten boss's lightning :D

I am going to have to call bullshit on that one.:thumbsup

Prince Valiant
02-01-2007, 05:19 PM
I am going to have to call bullshit on that one.:thumbsup
we'll just have to compare timeslips when it's said and done :thumbsup