PDA

View Full Version : MPS cell phone ban starts Monday. Good idea?

DynoTom
01-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Why is it that a few bad people always seem to mess up good things for everybody else?

Do you guys think the cell phones in school ban is a good idea?

Here is the story from FOX 6 news.

http://www.myfoxmilwaukee.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=2090965&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

84hurst
01-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Yup, it's a good idea. If they need to use the phone, they can use the pay phone outside of the cafateria. Having a cell phone in school is mostly useless. All your friends are somewhere in the school anyways!

88Nightmare
01-28-2007, 01:12 PM
true that. When I was in high school, cell phones were not allowed. If you were caught with it, it was taken away from you, and you could retrieve it at the end of the day. Second time you were caught with it, your parents had to come pick it up at the end of the day. I believe third time resulted in a one day suspension. Its a safety issue. You are in school to learn, you don't need a cell phone. Call your friends after school. Text message them after school. Ya wanna talk to em, wait till lunch hour.

fireguyrick
01-28-2007, 01:16 PM
I would not have an issue with the kids having a cell phone in their locker or vehicle. However, if you get caught using it DURING school it gets taken away. Seeing as kids can apparently out smart our educators, it is just better to ban them completely.

Rick

88Nightmare
01-28-2007, 01:19 PM
^ definitely. I see no benefit to a child having a cell phone on them. What is so important that they have to call or text message their friend about that can't wait till school is out? When I was in school, my understanding about cell phone bans in our school was that teachers and principals told us cell phones could be used to activate a bomb. Whether thats true or not, its another reason to keep em out of schools.

2SLOW
01-28-2007, 01:36 PM
we never were allowed to have cell phones in school they cause a big distraction. ppl would text message all the time to each other and they wonder why they were failing?

fireguyrick
01-28-2007, 01:39 PM
we never were allowed to have cell phones in school they cause a big distraction. ppl would text message all the time to each other and they wonder why they were failing?

That's ok, Mommy and Daddy will just call the teacher to complain that their kid is failing, and it HAS TO BE the teacher's fault. After all little Suzy or Johnny could not possibly fail any classes. I mean my god, think of what you are doing to their chances of getting into a top college?

Rick

Heat Seeker WS6
01-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Cell phones & pagers wern't around when I was in school. Why do kids need them now?

88Nightmare
01-28-2007, 02:04 PM
yea what heat seaker said.. what is different about schools now then they were in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, or 90's that would require kids to have a cell phone?

Karps TA
Cell phones & pagers wern't around when I was in school. Why do kids need them now?

:wstupid

I wish they'd ban them in more places. Funny how we were able to survive without the stupid things for so long....

Flicktitty

:rolf :confused who would that be? :rolf

But i agree, we were never allowed them but everyone still brought them. Some of the teachers were decent with them others took them and we could get them back at teh end of the day. i usually had mine with me or in my truck.

2SLOW
01-28-2007, 02:05 PM
That's ok, Mommy and Daddy will just call the teacher to complain that their kid is failing, and it HAS TO BE the teacher's fault. After all little Suzy or Johnny could not possibly fail any classes. I mean my god, think of what you are doing to their chances of getting into a top college?

Rick

um ok? it was only a comment not a scientifically proven statment? chill dude.

P.S. i go to Purdue.

2SLOW
01-28-2007, 02:06 PM
:rolf :confused who would that be? :rolf

But i agree, we were never allowed them but everyone still brought them. Some of the teachers were decent with them others took them and we could get them back at teh end of the day. i usually had mine with me or in my truck.

duhhhh idk maybeeeeeeee well we both know who;)

fireguyrick
01-28-2007, 02:11 PM
um ok? it was only a comment not a scientifically proven statment? chill dude.

P.S. i go to Purdue.

:rolf :rolf

I wasn't directing anything at you. I was just merely commenting on what seems to typically happen when a kid is failing a class.:thumbsup

Rick

moels
01-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Cell phones were too big to take to school when I went. They looked like boom boxes. lol

For real though, I can see the kids having cell phones to call home and friends with, but they don't need them while in school at all.

SSDude
01-28-2007, 02:27 PM
I can pretty much agree with all the cases made in prevoius posts but WHO is going to enforce this rule. The teachers don't want to. They feel threatened just being in the same room with these animals. In the MPS high schools It's gotten to the point where there needs to be a cop in every classroom. I say ban the phones but you got to stop them at the door. If you bring one in you pick it up when you leave.

theavenger333
01-28-2007, 02:32 PM
i had a phone junior and sophmore year of high school, i took it to school, but it was usually off or on silent. this was before Text messaging days.... i don't see why you'd NEED a phone during the day school-wise. if my parents or work or someone needed something, they left a VM, i checked it at the break, called back.

TransAm12sec
01-28-2007, 02:33 PM
At Nicolet, they started the ban on cell phones around 2004. It wasn't strictly enforced; many kids would still have their cell phone. However, if the phone went off in class, then the phone would be taken for the day (If I recall correctly). Many students just had their phone off in their pocket, and everyone went about their normal lives.

Now about the news story, the only argument that had any strength was the fact that cell phones were being used to call outsiders when a fight was going to occur. Otherwise, they did not have any strong arguments to support themselves. That problem is better solved with more security around the school, not preventing a fight from getting bigger.

I don't think the post 9-11 argument should be used in this case, as the Superintendent did. It sounds as if it's being used as an excuse to push this ban.

"I think first it starts with education. First I think it's empowering children and staff and talking about it, having the discussion that moves them to those consequences. It isn't just about boom all of a sudden, tomorrow you're, you're just ripping phones out of kids pockets"
-Superintendent William Andrekopoulos

As a Superintendent, you should not take something away from students for the purpose of teaching them how to construct an argument. I understand real world experiences, however, banning cell phones is not a good example.

When the story goes into expulsion and felony charges, they are referring to the fights that occur. These are two separate issues, and should not be related. It makes it sound as if a student who forgets his cell phone in his pocket could be expelled.

2SLOW
01-28-2007, 02:43 PM
:rolf :rolf

I wasn't directing anything at you. I was just merely commenting on what seems to typically happen when a kid is failing a class.:thumbsup

Rick

well i can agree with you on that one.:thumbsup

SlowStee
01-28-2007, 04:04 PM
I barely used it in school...and really didnt use it much...not many people had them on them,,

Im sure things have gotten bad by now..so the ban is a good.

WilliamZ
01-28-2007, 04:06 PM
I agree with the MPS cell phone ban. I don't see any good reasons for having a cell phone in grade/high school.

Yooformula
01-28-2007, 04:27 PM
there was a time not too long ago when we didint have them at all. so whats the big deal about getting rid of them in school? its not going to help you learn so I say ban! They are more of a distraction than tool for kids anyways. Kids still got in touch with family via payphones so bone up some change if you need to call that bad.

84hurst
01-28-2007, 05:10 PM
not to metion that they can be used to cheat, texting each answers and such...Maybe if more MPS students cheated the graduation rate would go above 50%! :rolf

Holeshot
01-28-2007, 05:12 PM
I see no use for them in school. And I think hands free devices should be mandatory while behind the wheel. Blue tooth tech is cheep now. When I go to dinner or a movie....... I put the phone on vibrate.