PDA

View Full Version : no suitable title for this thread

88Nightmare
01-28-2007, 04:23 AM
So I was driving southbound on I 94 last night around the hwy K exit, around mile marker 328. I wasn't actually driving, I was riding in my friends chevy 2500 pickup. We were comfortably cruising in the left lane with cruise control on, doing no more then 70, just relaxing, talking about nothing important. When suddenly, we both noticed there were headlights coming at us, but on our side of the concrete barrier. my first thought was maybe someone spun around. But then I realized, those lights are moving, they are moving at us, and fast. The car (it was actually a white ford explorer) was coming at us head on. It got maybe 8-10 car lengths and I just yelled to my friend DUDE ****** SWERVE! We were both so stunned to see lights coming at us like that, neither one of us could say anything. Had I not yelled out swerve, I might not be sitting here typing this right now. I figure that oncoming Explorer was going at least 40mph. He was half in the emergency lane, half in the left lane. Just cruising with his lights on totally going the wrong direction. I absolutely did not understand that. Once reality finally came back to me and I realized we just cheated death, I quickly whipped out the trusty cellular and called 9-1-1, but they already knew about it. 5 seconds after hanging up, I saw 3 racine county sheriffs flyin northbound with the rollers on. On our return trip back home, we saw a huge cluster of lights just north of the 7 mile road exit on the southbound side. I didn't get a close look to see what happened because it was on the other side of an embankment, but dear god I hope he (or she) didn't kill some poor innocent motorist. From what I saw, they were all in the left shoulder, saw at least 2 squad cars and a tow truck. Traffic was still freely flowing past it so I can't imagine anything catostrophic had happened, but I just dont understand it. How do you not realize you are going the wrong way? Jeez, rough night. Adrenaline is still pumping from that encounter.

UnderPSI
01-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Thankfully you got past alright. What is the deal with this now? This is happening way too many times.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
01-28-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm really gald you and your friend didn't get hurt and hopefully no one else did either. But seriously, what the hell is with all of these ignorant people driving on the opposite side of the highway. Now it's been 2 people on this forum that have been affected by such stupidity. What is the matter with these people?

FANAT1C
01-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Glad you had a good outcome!

I know the cost would be great but how about putting those one-way tire spikes (like at some parking facilities) at all ramps. Make them common place like putting barriers in.

UnderPSI
01-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Now thats a good idea! Simple solution to a growing problem :thumbsup

SSDude
01-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Gald you guys made out alright 88.
Anyone caught going the wrong way should get a year in jail. If you cause an accident or hurt anyone you should get much much more time in jail. There is no excuse in the world for this crap.

Reverend Cooper
01-28-2007, 10:40 AM
they need to change the on and off ramps there. people that are unfamiliar get turned around easy,now add a drink or two and some age and your screwed.

88Nightmare
01-28-2007, 01:16 PM
down where I was its relatively easy to get on the freeway in the wrong direction with those frontage roads. Its a simple 45ยบ turn. I still can't believe that incident last night. We were so stunned to see lights coming at us, we just froze like a deer in the headlights. I hope that moron doesn't kill anyone, whether it be one person, two, or an entire innocent family on their way home. There is absolutely positively no excuse for going the wrong way. If you are completely sober, then you need to stop your ass immediately and pull over completely in the shoulder until you can safely turn around. This guy was truckin along at over 50 or 60mph! He was in the southbound lane heading northbound, passing cars in the northbound lane! Thank god he had his lights on, or it would be all over for me or someone else that evening.