PDA

View Full Version : Jesse James busted for dirty bikes !

DynoTom
01-27-2007, 07:16 PM
I think all custom bike / chopper builders are going to have to deal with this pretty soon....

I know for a FACT that the "factory built" motorcycle industry is dealing with many EPA rules now...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070126/en_afp/afpentertainmentus_070126230910

DynoTom
01-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Things like this start in Cali and grow from there.

I think places like O.C.C have to be watching this and wondering how long before they have to deal with this?

O.C.C. is different from Jesses shop in that they made and sold a hell of a lot of more bike than 50 and they are still in the business of building many bikes ( on American Chopper O.C.C moves to a new bigger shop every year or so it seems )...

Moparjim
01-27-2007, 07:32 PM
I always thought low volume or specialty producers (places like Shelby, saleen, etc.) could apply for and receive exemption, I looked into it once on a whim. Of course that was Federal, so apparently this could just be a California tree hugger thing. What a waste of the people's time, energy, and money to go after a guy for 50 or however many custom bikes. The handful of classic cars, custom bikes, street rods, etc. most of them driven very few miles a year have almost no environmental impact compared to the hundred million or however many cars and trucks on the road, not to mention power plants and industry.

mike90lxII
01-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Half those Bikes aren't even street legal. That is why alot of the places offer them as kits because the laws differ.

DynoTom
01-27-2007, 07:38 PM
I think the small volume of bikes should make them OK to build.....

I know we had "crash test" exempt status when I worked at Excalibur building the Cobras but, once that ran out we could not longer build any cars....The crash testing would have costs way too much and those cars would never come close to passing any crash test......

DynoTom
01-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Half those Bikes aren't even street legal. That is why alot of the places offer them as kits because the laws differ.

Your right, I know sometimes they don't even run a front brake on them !:rolf

Heat Seeker WS6
01-27-2007, 07:49 PM
You can thank the Terminator for this. An example of his work, even though this article is on small motors, he's trying to have a much larger impact on emissions...
http://gov.ca.gov/index.php?/text/press-release/4894/

TheBlueSupra
01-27-2007, 08:00 PM
Things like this start in Cali and grow from there.

I think places like O.C.C have to be watching this and wondering how long before they have to deal with this?

O.C.C. is different from Jesses shop in that they made and sold a hell of a lot of more bike than 50 and they are still in the business of building many bikes ( on American Chopper O.C.C moves to a new bigger shop every year or so it seems )...

and the reason that shitty shop makes so many bikes is because everything they build or well i shouldnt say everything 90% of the stuff they put together is pre-made. Jessie James builds 70% of his bikes.

TheBlueSupra
01-27-2007, 08:01 PM
AND CALI SUCKS. there laws are just rediculous.

DynoTom
01-27-2007, 08:01 PM
and the reason that shitty shop makes so many bikes is because everything they build or well i shouldnt say everything 90% of the stuff they put together is pre-made. Jessie James builds 70% of his bikes.

Right on !

I'm not a fan of O.C.C just for that reason.....I do like West Coast Choppers and Jesses James though!

u_say_go
01-27-2007, 09:28 PM
The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) announced that a review of an Environmental Protection Agency "Letter of Guidance" on the subject of motorcycle-emissions regulations has been completed. The AMA had been seeking clarification of EPA regulations for "kit" and "custom" motorcycles.
Kit bikes are motorcycles typically built by individuals using off-the-shelf components, while custom bikes are generally show bikes built by a business and sold to a customer.

Under the regulations, a person is allowed only one kit motorcycle in their lifetime that is exempt from meeting EPA emissions requirements. For custom motorcycles, a builder may create and sell up to 24 bikes a year that don't meet EPA emissions requirements, but those machines must be labeled as exempt and are show bikes that only rarely may be ridden.
New motorcycles sold in California beginning with the 2004 model year, and nationwide beginning with the 2006 model year, may not emit more than 1.4 grams per kilometer of hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides, and 12 grams per kilometer of carbon monoxide.

The California standard gets tougher in model year 2008, with a limit of
0.8 grams per kilometer of hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides and 12 grams per kilometer of carbon monoxide. The federal standard that goes in effect in model year 2010 is the same.

u_say_go
01-27-2007, 09:33 PM
that $271,000 fine is chump change to Jesse James. The whole emissions thing is crap! Why dont they fine him for all the other violations like, no turn signals, no horn, etc etc.
As far as O.C.C. goes, they put together some cool looking bikes, but they're cake decorators compared to West Coast Choppers.

TheBlueSupra
01-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Yeah that 271k aint shit to his wife :) but yeah coming down on him is pointless there is much much worse goin on in cali they should be worrying about.

u_say_go
01-27-2007, 09:57 PM
yeah, Sandra's got some money but Jesse's got a few bucks of his own....Once he took over as executive producer of Monster Garage he was taking in $150,000 per episode, combine that with the $20million plus per year in licensing royalties from WCC Brands, $100k plus per bike (25 per year is all they build) $$ from fenders, tanks, frames, etc etc.....Jesse James is a rich mofoka. I wouldnt mind walking in his shoes for a while.

Good find on the fine though, interested to see how this pans out.

Crawlin
01-27-2007, 10:39 PM
"let's put this rule into effect to clean up the air in Cali" - says the man who was the first citizen to purchase a HUMMER

******* ass bag