PDA

View Full Version : My cat doesn't look too good

pOrk
01-24-2007, 05:31 PM
She is almost 14 years old, and has always been a healthy and unfriendly pet. She spends most of her time hiding, but usually came out in the evenings to hang with my or my mumma.

Anyways, its been a good week and a half now where she hasn't touched her food. 6 days ago she pissed on my parents bed, the last time she did anything like that was back when I was 10 and she pissed on my bean bag chair, the *****! Anyways, now she has made her home on my parents brand new couch. She hasn't moved in 3 days, and after several attempts at feeding her / bringing her water she hasn't consumed anything. What do I do? Shes old, but healthy. Or atleast she was two weeks ago. Now she is getting thin, and I don't know what I am supposed to do.

Being unemployed, I can't afford to have all sorts of tests done on her and my parents don't want to pay for it. You think its time she gets put down?

nismodave
01-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Can you take her to the Humane society to be looked at?

Maybe that wont cost any $.

pOrk
01-24-2007, 05:40 PM
I could take her, thats not a problem. I tried to contact them earlier today but I couldn't seem to get through to talk with anyone. I am going to try again tomorrow.

Prince Valiant
01-24-2007, 05:52 PM
There are alot of illnesses that can cause pet's to stop eating/drinking. It's a large problem, obviously if they don't.

It's not unusual for cats to exceed 20 years of life...so it depends. Some vets cost much less than others, so call around.

I go to Norwood on H W Y 100 (lovers lane) just south of silver spring. The number is 414.463.9760

Their prices are cheap compared to most. Might want to call and ask what a blood panel would cost to have done along with an exam...since that's probably the minimum they consider doing. You can always go there and get the exam, then find out the cost of the test they want to run. They are generally good about keeping total cost down.

SSDude
01-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Unfortunately she must be very sick as that would be the reason they stop eating and drinking. Call vets and explain your financial situation. You will probably find one that will check her out for free.
Best Wishes for the cat

Red97GTP
01-24-2007, 06:09 PM
That happened to a couple of my cats over the last few years. It turned out to be that their kidneys were starting to fail. I can't remember all of the details, but it didn't turn out good for my cats. Both of them were 14 years old when this occured. I do hope for the best for yours.

pOrk
01-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Thanks guys, def. will be calling both the humane society and Norwood. Is norwood the place that looks like a house?

hrsp
01-25-2007, 01:11 AM
hope the cat gets well....i used the vet on 76th lincoln real good people real good prices...might wanna give em a ring...

Neal Steffek
01-25-2007, 01:18 AM
Dude this sucks as I love cats but at this age, and fromn what you say it may be "that time". Sorry to hear it and give the cat one last scratch behind the ears for me. :crying :(

pOrk
01-25-2007, 01:24 AM
My uncle and a lot of my relatives still don't believe that I have the cat, always liked it that way. Could never tell we had any pets ( besides birds, they are awfully loud ).

I'll have to post a photo of her on here or something.

Prince Valiant
01-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Is norwood the place that looks like a house? Yep...planned pethood place.