PDA

View Full Version : home inspector??

hrsp
01-22-2007, 06:28 PM
my buddy is thinking of signing up for an online certifictaion to be a home inspector...its a min of 6 months of schooling..and they claim that you can earn 42k+ a year after completing there course and getting there degree...

anyone know if this is true? are they not telling him something? will he need other crap to be a "home inspector"

the site he is using is pennfoster.edu

and it's only 550 dollars to complete...i dont want him to get scammed or mislead..( he's not the brighest kid) lol..any help is appreciated..thanks

USMARINE1108
01-22-2007, 07:37 PM
MATC most likely has a much better program.

DirtyMax
01-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Some things are best learned not on the Intern3t.... home inspection would be one of them.

u_say_go
01-22-2007, 08:50 PM
have your friend look into local tech schools...MATC, WCTC, Moraine Park. Also, have him do some research on this career before he commits to it. The guy who inspected my home told me he pays over $4000 a year for insurance, I forget exactly what it's called but basically it covers his a$$ in case he overlooks something and the house ends up with faulty plumbing, electrical, etc etc.

just came to me...."error and omission insurance"

Heat Seeker WS6
01-22-2007, 09:02 PM
have your friend look into local tech schools...MATC, WCTC, Moraine Park. Also, have him do some research on this career before he commits to it. The guy who inspected my home told me he pays over $4000 a year for insurance, I forget exactly what it's called but basically it covers his a$$ in case he overlooks something and the house ends up with faulty plumbing, electrical, etc etc.

Bingo.
and....
Will he be able to inspect my work in a new construction or remodel and see if I conformed to code with my wiring & technique? If I was him I'd look into a more formal school as recommended.

Lash
01-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Some things are best learned not on the Intern3t.... home inspection would be one of them.

x2

awsomeears
01-22-2007, 10:26 PM
1st off before your buddy even thinks about being an inspector. Does he know how to do any of the trade skills it takes to build a home ?????

Can he change a simple outlet or do any hvac or plumbing ?

If not tell him to get a totally different job :thumbsup

I'll take back what I said only IF !!!! there is a really good class out there :D

Every inspector that I have met should not be doing it.

Im not the sharpest tool in the shed but I do just fine, and most of you guys out there know what im talking about :durr

GRM-REPR
01-23-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm going for my Associates degree in Real Estate right now (apprasial). Tell your friend he is going down the wrong path. There is no "degree" for just "being" an inspector.

I'm at WCTC because they have one of the very best Real Estate programs in the Midwest. Period.

He needs the gen ed most people these days lack, environmental courses, all the R.E fundamentals and knowledge that comes with it.

I also agree 100% with the others who mentioned avoiding Internet courses.

My 2cents....Being there...doing it.....