PDA

View Full Version : MAN O'WAR 10 ° Windsor-Style Cylinder Heads

DynoTom
01-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Looks like the SBF guys have another cylinder head to make BIG power...:headbang

http://www.theengineshop.com/prods_pages/ManOWar10DegreeHead.htm

Prince Valiant
01-19-2007, 03:13 PM
What I've always wanted to know were about the "australian style" CHI heads...why do the refer to them as 3V heads? Was this some designation from australian days or something?

As far as those heads go, the runner sizes are huge...although it's probably difficult to compare them to production style windsor heads by volume though.

In the end, I'd probably still want to go after the canted valve "cleaveland style" windsor heads...

I think it's cool the number of aftermarket heads that are hitting the market. Heck, even small block mopars can get true Hemi heads even...

DynoTom
01-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Yep, Those CHI 3 -V heads are deadly on a Ford W engine !

There was no denying that one engine combination dominated the 2006 Engine Masters Challenge: the Windsor Ford small-block topped with CHI's 3V heads and intake.

As it played out, five of the six finalists made use of this combo, and it definitely paid off. Bischoff, Reincarnation, McKeown, Performance Unlimited, and the School of Automotive Machinists all recognized the potential of this deadly setup, and they were rewarded with a spot in the finals.

I'm just glad there are more choices of speed parts being made for the Ford engines out there.....:D

HITMAN
01-19-2007, 10:38 PM
What I've always wanted to know were about the "australian style" CHI heads...why do the refer to them as 3V heads? Was this some designation from australian days or something?

The original Cleveland was made in two configurations; 2V, meaning that it was made for a 2bbl carbureted application. It had much smaller intake ports and, IIRC, a better combustion chamber design than the other version, the 4V. The 4V was made for a 4bbl performance application. It had huge, lazy intake ports that had no velocity until very high RPM, similar to the Boss 302 and Boss 351 heads. The 3V is basically a cross between the two designs, giving great flow without the huge runner volume, thereby giving much better velocity at lower rpms without sacrificing top-end performance. Also, the CHI 3V head has a much more modern fast-burn combustion chamber which means a need for less timing and has more forgiving octane requirements.

As far as those heads go, the runner sizes are huge...although it's probably difficult to compare them to production style windsor heads by volume though.

There really is no comparison. These heads have a far larger intake runner volume than any other Windsor in-line valve configured head that I am aware of. They're really made for a 400+ CID engine that is using a ton of boost or a twin+ fogger set-up. Six evenly spaced head bolts? Combined with the Cometic Phuzion head gasket, this set-up would probably be second only to a T/F Hemi O-ring/dead-soft copper gasket combo for resistance to pushing out a head gasket or lifting a head.

In the end, I'd probably still want to go after the canted valve "cleaveland style" windsor heads...

Hard to beat the unshrouding characteristics of the canted valve design. That's why Chebbie, Mopar and now Toyota have followed Ford/Robert Yates down this path in their respective NASCAR power plants.

I think it's cool the number of aftermarket heads that are hitting the market. Heck, even small block mopars can get true Hemi heads even...

Really? I've been out of the Mopar scene for too long. I was not aware of this development. Who makes it?

MurphysLaw88GT
01-24-2007, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=HITMAN;227587] It had huge, lazy intake ports that had no velocity until very high RPM, similar to the Boss 302 and Boss 351 heads. The 3V is basically a cross between the two designs, giving great flow without the huge runner volume, thereby giving much better velocity at lower rpms without sacrificing top-end performance.

Yep. my uncle mike bitches frequently about that, thats why he has to wind the shit out of his cleveland in his track car. Sounds wikked though!

Prince Valiant
01-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Really? I've been out of the Mopar scene for too long. I was not aware of this development. Who makes it?Rods and custom machines.

http://www.rodandcustommachines.com/rcmimages/sml-blk-hemi-hd1-web.jpg

As far as usefullness goes, it's not very. Most of the mopar heads would kill this in terms of flow/perofrmance...it's ironic that the intake side is okay at 240cfm @ .500 lift, while the exhuast flow a crazy 287cfm @ .500 lift. Not a whole lot of engineering was thrown at this thing. Might perform better in a reverse induction "exhaust is now intake and vice versa" ala trick buick nailheads of old.

It's more a show, for those that want something "different" on there small block mopar, and more geared to the t-bucket crowd.