PDA

View Full Version : turbo saturn update....

sloLs1
01-18-2007, 08:35 PM
well after some tuning and such... at 9 psi non-intercooled and a very "crude" tuning/engine management(43lb/hr inj.and a safc2)... cylinder 1 and 4 went buh bye! about 30psi of comp. in cyl1 and 0psi in cyl4.:rolf I learned how SAFC's work now:goof ! when your at -%48 correction timming likes to go wayyyy up under boost! after it blew i went back and looked at the data logging... sure sh!t right befor it went total timming advance was at 48*:wooo soooo i will fix the fuel problem by putting in my AFPR... so then my correction wont be sooo out of wack. then will also install my EGT gauge which i never did:chair: here are some pics of the damage... sorry for the crappy pics.... oh and BTW i recieved my new pistons... just a cheap($150) set of hypernectic low comp(8.5-1) moly rings, new bearing, timing chain, head bolts, valve stem seals, and a few other little things... I AM NOT GOING FOR HIGHEST HP OR A FAST A$$ car.... just something a little better than stock... looking to make a max of 220whp... this time i will do it right:D !

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/StrokedEVO/Picture174-1.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/StrokedEVO/Picture175.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/StrokedEVO/Picture177.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/StrokedEVO/Picture178.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/StrokedEVO/Picture180.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/StrokedEVO/Picture179.jpg

Flicktitty
01-18-2007, 09:09 PM
good daily driver eh?

LOL

so how long has it been on the streets since it's been bewsted?

sloLs1
01-18-2007, 09:11 PM
like 2 weeks... and yes this is my back-up daily driver... i DD my truck!

theavenger333
01-18-2007, 09:50 PM
gonna intercool it at all? just figure you would be able to set up somethin from a stock turbo car to work?

BAD LS1
01-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Well i bet with that kinda timing it was pretty torquey and snotty for a bit anyway lol

Learning curves happen, at least ur quick to get it back going again!

sloLs1
01-18-2007, 10:37 PM
gonna intercool it at all? just figure you would be able to set up somethin from a stock turbo car to work?

yes i have a couple laying around... i wanted to try non-intercooled first:goof didnt work out so well!

Well i bet with that kinda timing it was pretty torquey and snotty for a bit anyway lol

Learning curves happen, at least ur quick to get it back going again!

throtle response was wikked!!! the funny thing is... i never felt or heard it ping or knock at all during tuning.... then out of the blue she went like that! also i had a bad knock sensor... i wasn't picking up sh!t for knock on my SAFC even when it went... so i also have a new one of those!

Cryptic
01-18-2007, 11:14 PM
couldnt you just of bought a GTP if you wanted 220WHP ;)
you get about that stock

Anyways... sorry for your misfortune and way to jump right back into it :thumbsup

sloLs1
01-19-2007, 07:19 AM
couldnt you just of bought a GTP if you wanted 220WHP ;)
you get about that stock

Anyways... sorry for your misfortune and way to jump right back into it :thumbsup

yea but i would run 15's with a GTP, get 20-25MPG, and still wouldnt be able to keep up with all hondas out there... i will be hitting low 14's and waxing those hondas! and maybe your occassoinal domestic:D

plus its an expirance like no other.... to build and then drive something you created! :banana

theavenger333
01-19-2007, 11:01 AM
GTP runs a 14ish stock, depending on driver......

BAD LS1
01-19-2007, 11:07 AM
throtle response was wikked!!! the funny thing is... i never felt or heard it ping or knock at all during tuning.... then out of the blue she went like that! also i had a bad knock sensor... i wasn't picking up sh!t for knock on my SAFC even when it went... so i also have a new one of those!

Yeah timing is a big deal to any kinda power adder motor it seems, My car dropped .7 tenths and gained 5 mph on the 200 shot by increasing total timing at WOT from 20* to 27*. The low end torque when the spray hit just felt insane, hit harder than any other time in history that i sprayed the car.

I did run a 50/50 mix of 110 leaded and 93 in the tank and 100LL in the nitrous fuel cell. I had 3 degrees of knock on the hit and was 0 the rest of the run with a 11.7 AFR.

But my eyes are focused on the wideband, scanmaster (knock retard) and i just wait for the shift light and occasional look up to make sure its going straight lol I guess thats why the motor held together this year hahah.

i never looked at the plugs but one random plug the day after the track for just shits and giggles, no speckles, no burning... perfect.

sloLs1
01-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Yeah timing is a big deal to any kinda power adder motor it seems, My car dropped .7 tenths and gained 5 mph on the 200 shot by increasing total timing at WOT from 20* to 27*. The low end torque when the spray hit just felt insane, hit harder than any other time in history that i sprayed the car.

I did run a 50/50 mix of 110 leaded and 93 in the tank and 100LL in the nitrous fuel cell. I had 3 degrees of knock on the hit and was 0 the rest of the run with a 11.7 AFR.

But my eyes are focused on the wideband, scanmaster (knock retard) and i just wait for the shift light and occasional look up to make sure its going straight lol I guess thats why the motor held together this year hahah.

i never looked at the plugs but one random plug the day after the track for just shits and giggles, no speckles, no burning... perfect.

yea i hear yea about the timming! but i cant control that with a SAFC... only fuel and even that is just tricking the computer. I have dyno'd cars befor and with only one degree advance, minus a stoch of fuel... wammooo theres 30hp. its crazy how a couple degrees of timming and a part of fuel can make all the differnce..

BTW my A/F was at 10.9:wooo very rich but i wanted to keep it cool due to the fact of no intercooler and 9.5-1 comp pistons! I had it running real good with it at 10.9 11.0 across the board... i went too 11.2 and thats when it must have got too hot and buh bye piston. It sucks because the whole time i thought my knock sensor was functioning correctly!:chair: :chair: :chair:

BAD LS1
01-19-2007, 01:46 PM
After just re-reading my post....

Sorry if it looked like i was trying to school your or something. You know what your doing and there is those pesky learning curves that we all face!

Just sharing my experience, i feel bad for hi-jacking your thread lol

jbiscuit
01-19-2007, 01:49 PM
its a really cool build! I hope you get it up a running again soon. Throw an intercooler on it right away!

BAD LS1
01-19-2007, 02:05 PM
I have a snow performance methanol injection kit that would work great that that i would be willing to let go at a decent price!

Chemical intercooler!! lol they do work pretty awesome, plus methanol will keep knock at bay considerably.

sloLs1
01-19-2007, 02:20 PM
.......Just sharing my experience, i feel bad for hi-jacking your thread lol.........

i totally undestand! i like COMMENTS AND EVEN BETTER IDEAS... everyone builds things differently... thats why i like input and like to know what others think:headbang

its a really cool build! I hope you get it up a running again soon. Throw an intercooler on it right away!

thank you! and i am still working on the intercooler set-up... but it will definatly go on befor i start it up again!

I have a snow performance methanol injection kit that would work great that that i would be willing to let go at a decent price!

Chemical intercooler!! lol they do work pretty awesome, plus methanol will keep knock at bay considerably.

you should PM me a price... kinda on a budget with this build but i have never expiremaneted with it personally... i know for a fact it works great. My buddy is running a simlar kit on his sycolne... and i had another friend that had a t-type with it too... controls knock, cools cylinders down, and even helps keep the combustion chambers clean!

BAD LS1
01-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Ok cool,

Is that Adam your reffering to with the Syclone by chance?

jbiscuit
01-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Mmmmmm meth. Meth kits and turbo cars go hand in hand.

Flicktitty
01-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Who woulda thought a LS1 guy would be helping out a guy trying to turbo a Saturn?

BAD LS1
01-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Who woulda thought a LS1 guy would be helping out a guy trying to turbo a Saturn?

Im a sucker for one off projects... what can i day besides they spark my intrest... haha

sloLs1
01-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Ok cool,

Is that Adam your reffering to with the Syclone by chance?

adam raul?? black with c5 wheels?? yea he has been a friend of my for like 10 years!

Im a sucker for one off projects... what can i day besides they spark my intrest... haha

+1 :headbang