PDA

View Full Version : Lady dies of water intoxication trying to win a nintendo WII....

Yooformula
01-18-2007, 02:19 AM
what an idiot! she was on a live radio show trying to win a Wii by drinking 2 gallons of water in a single sitting. A nurse even called to warn them that the lady could die but she still continued. Natural selection at its best....moron! of all things to die from:loser BUY THE PHUCKING TOY CHEAP A$S!:punch:

Flicktitty
01-18-2007, 02:29 AM
WTF! how dumb can 1 person be? thats alot of water! how long did she have to drink it?

88Nightmare
01-18-2007, 02:31 AM
nothin like dying over a video system you cant take to the grave lol way to go. I want a wii but im not going to die over it. ill just buy one if some damn store would ever get one :D

2SLOW
01-18-2007, 07:08 AM
wow what a dumb ass.

Karps TA
01-18-2007, 07:38 AM
The radio station IMO are the ones really at fault for having such a contest to begin with.

WilliamZ
01-18-2007, 07:41 AM
That's pretty sad...

hrsp
01-18-2007, 09:03 AM
thats going out like a gangsta!!!!!

wikked
01-18-2007, 09:15 AM
WTF! how dumb can 1 person be? thats alot of water! how long did she have to drink it?

IIRC she drank 2 gallons in two hours.

dee dee deeeee :durr

Poncho
01-18-2007, 09:31 AM
any link to that?? sounds nuts.

fireguyrick
01-18-2007, 09:55 AM
I have to admit, I am suprised that she did not vomit the water up. I remember in Boot Camp doing Hydration Formations after breakfast, and vomiting.

Either way she is a dumb snatch. More Oxygen for me though.

Rick

PureSound15
01-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Either way she is a dumb snatch. More Oxygen for me though.

:rolf :rolf :rolf I'm not sure you could have put that in a better way

Feature Pony
01-18-2007, 10:28 AM
any link to that?? sounds nuts.

if you do a yahoo search of lady who drank water and died should pull it up, it happened in cail and a radio show put the contest on, no wee for a wii is what it was called.

its pretty sad that she was doing this for her kids, and now she is no longer there for them.

u_say_go
01-18-2007, 10:44 AM
I wouldnt say she's dumb. She was trying to do something for her kids and the end result was horrific. Bob and Brian played the broadcast of that contest this morning, it was pretty disturbing to hear her say how bad her head hurt, knowing that shortly afterwards she would die.
The radio station who held that contest is SCREWED!

wikked
01-18-2007, 11:51 AM
I wouldnt say she's dumb. She was trying to do something for her kids and the end result was horrific. Bob and Brian played the broadcast of that contest this morning, it was pretty disturbing to hear her say how bad her head hurt, knowing that shortly afterwards she would die.
The radio station who held that contest is SCREWED!

I doubt it.
They all had to sign waivers I'm sure.
As well as they tried to get her to stop twice by offering concert tickets, which she finally took on the 2nd offer.

No one had a gun to her head.

Prince Valiant
01-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Not many know that water intoxication is possible...certainly not her.

The radio station IS probably screwed, as she probably did not have fully informed consent, IE, it probably wasn't spelled out to her that water intoxication was possible...just a bland "absolve us on all responsibility from injury or even death resulting from the contest, blah, blah, blah." Those types of waivers would assume she was aware of the specific dangers that in other contest might be commonly known...like playing football, racing cars, etc.

88Nightmare
01-18-2007, 12:35 PM
notice how they were offering concert tickets to try to get her to stop? perhaps because the radio station knew what might happen? hmm..... Where is Jackie Childs from seinfeld when ya need him....

Prescott
01-18-2007, 12:44 PM
I don't care what kind of waiver she signed, it's impossible to sign away your right to live. Bottom line is the radio station better have a kick ass lawyer. That family probably has a line of lawyers at their front step as we type, just waiting for the chance to sue the station owners.

jbiscuit
01-18-2007, 01:07 PM
a bunch of people have lost their jobs already that work for the station

Heat Seeker WS6
01-18-2007, 01:47 PM
Oh that radio station is screwed all right...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070118/ap_on_re_us/water_intoxication

wikked
01-18-2007, 02:17 PM
So gay.
People should be held accountable for their own actions, not blame the next in line.
People called in, specifically warned that this could lead to death.
Did she stop drinking? helll no.

Darwin FTW.

Yooformula
01-18-2007, 02:35 PM
a nurse called in on live radio and told them the exact symptoms of water intoxication yet they continued.

Moparjim
01-18-2007, 03:05 PM
According to the clip I watched the other (still living...) contestants are saying they did not hear any of the on air discussion about possible death. Which I believe would be true since you cannot listen to the broadcast where you are broadcasting from its called FEEDBACK which is why you wear headphones when DJing and why the first thing they tell idiots to do when calling in is TURN YOUR RADIO DOWN.

I would say its all on the DJs and radio station...Not many people, me included would think you could die from drinking 2 gallons of water in two hours.

73Dustr
01-18-2007, 03:24 PM
I think the radio station is at fault here also. The lady is as well, but the radio station should take more of the blame. For all we know, she had no idea about the dangers or water intoxication. Then again, maybe she knew fully well, yet continued. Jim brings up a good point: how many people actually know if you drink way too much water, you basically drown your body? The radio station should've done their homework before marketing such a contest.

subliminal1284
01-18-2007, 03:28 PM
I smell a lawsuit

stowsea
01-18-2007, 04:15 PM
wow, i have never heard of water intoxication, is there some kind of chemical in water that you can o.d. on or something?

fireguyrick
01-18-2007, 04:24 PM
wow, i have never heard of water intoxication, is there some kind of chemical in water that you can o.d. on or something?

Most likely resulted in Hyponatremia. It has to do with to little sodium in the body (diluted from all the fluid). This causes your heart to not function correctly, and you will typically have some sort of arrhythmia because of it. Furthermore, excess water in the body has to go somewhere, and there are a great amount of cells that will absorb it. This leads to Brain Cell Swelling and other fluid build ups.

I could go into all this in detail, but that would require me to write a few paragraphs on Pathophysiology and some Anatomy just to set a base work.

Cliff Notes is that to much water causes your heart to not work correctly, and causes cells to swell up.

Rick

stowsea
01-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Most likely resulted in Hyponatremia. It has to do with to little sodium in the body (diluted from all the fluid). This causes your heart to not function correctly, and you will typically have some sort of arrhythmia because of it. Furthermore, excess water in the body has to go somewhere, and there are a great amount of cells that will absorb it. This leads to Brain Cell Swelling and other fluid build ups.

I could go into all this in detail, but that would require me to write a few paragraphs on Pathophysiology and some Anatomy just to set a base work.

Cliff Notes is that to much water causes your heart to not work correctly, and causes cells to swell up.

Rick
holy shit! sounds like a painful death

Korndogg
01-18-2007, 04:28 PM
I smell a lawsuit

just heard today there is a possibility of them being charged with manslaughter.

Mudd Runner
01-18-2007, 04:29 PM
I read this shortly after it happened what some people will do for a stupid gaming system

Reverend Cooper
01-18-2007, 06:50 PM
im thirsty

88Nightmare
01-18-2007, 07:47 PM
I never heard of dying from too much water. I mean I know you can drown in water, obviously for lack of oxygen, but I didn't know ingesting too much water could do that. wow. time to look this up on wikipedia :D

Korndogg
01-18-2007, 07:48 PM
I heard something like it dilutes chemicals in your body that you need to survive. which makes sense.

88Nightmare
01-18-2007, 07:48 PM
copied direct from wikipedia:
Water intoxication (also known as hyperhydration or water poisoning) is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain function that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside of safe limits by a very rapid intake of water.

Most water intoxication is caused by hyponatremia, an overdilution of sodium in the blood plasma, which in turn causes an osmotic shift of water from extracellular fluid (outside of cells) to intracellular fluid (within cells). The cells swell as a result of changes in osmotic pressure and may cease to function. When this occurs in the cells of the central nervous system and brain, water intoxication is the result. Additionally, many other cells in the body may undergo cytolysis, wherein cell membranes that are unable to stand abnormal osmotic pressures rupture, killing the cells. Initial symptoms typically include light-headedness, sometimes accompanied by nausea, vomiting, headache and/or malaise. Plasma sodium levels below 100 mmol/L (2.3g/L) frequently result in cerebral edema, seizures, coma, and death within a few hours of drinking the excess water. As with alcohol poisoning, the progression from mild to severe symptoms may occur rapidly as the water continues to enter the body from the intestines or intravenously.

Korndogg
01-18-2007, 07:49 PM
wow...i was right...for the most part.

88Nightmare
01-18-2007, 07:50 PM
another interesting segment for reading:

A person with two healthy kidneys can excrete about 900ml (0.24 gal)/hr[2]. Consuming as little as 1.8 litres of water (0.48 gal) in a single sitting may prove fatal for a person adhering to a low-sodium diet, or 3 litres (0.79 gallons) for a person on a normal diet. However, this must be modulated by potential water losses via other routes. For example, a person who is perspiring heavily may lose 1 L/hr (0.26 gal) of water through perspiration alone, thereby raising the threshold for water intoxication. The problem is further complicated by the amount of electrolytes lost in urine or sweat, which is variable within a range controlled by the body's regulatory mechanisms. Water intoxication can be prevented by consuming water that is isotonic with water losses, but the exact concentration of electrolytes required is difficult to determine and fluctuates over time, and the greater the time period involved, the smaller the disparity that may suffice to produce electrolyte imbalance and water intoxication.

again this was all copied from wikipedia

Reverend Cooper
01-18-2007, 07:51 PM
thats why i stick with alchohol

Berettaspeed
01-18-2007, 08:20 PM
i threw up from drinking 2 liters of coke at work once, within about 2 or 3 hours... lol i didn't think you could die from drinking too much water though... well ill think again before gulping that much fluid again...

mmm im in the middle on this one... the ady kept going,, but the radio station knew what would happen..... sooooo they are both to blame IMO...now the Q i have is, what is the proper charge for the people/company involved.

Korndogg
01-18-2007, 08:22 PM
its really not the drinking part...its the whole not going to the bathroom part that kills you.

GTSLOW
01-18-2007, 09:40 PM
what an idiot! she was on a live radio show trying to win a Wii by drinking 2 gallons of water in a single sitting. A nurse even called to warn them that the lady could die but she still continued. Natural selection at its best....moron! of all things to die from:loser BUY THE PHUCKING TOY CHEAP A$S!:punch:

I saw this on the news. :wtf is all I gotta say.

GTSLOW
01-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Overhydration occurs when the body takes in more water than it loses. The result is too much water and not enough sodium. Thus, overhydration generally results in low sodium levels in the blood (hyponatremia (see Minerals and Electrolytes: Hyponatremia).

It's happend in the army and air force before too.

Brandon W.
01-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Where is Jackie Childs from seinfeld when ya need him....
probably hating on some local minority:goof :goof

88Nightmare
01-19-2007, 08:36 PM
who told you to put the cheese on? I didnt tell you to put the cheese on. Who told you to put the cheese on? You people and the cheese.... it never ends.

man that show has some of the best writing ever! damn you seinfeld, had to up and cancel his shit. i guess its better to cancel the show when its at the top of its ratings then to wait before they plummit, then he goes out on a high note, leaving people wanting more.

back to the wii, im sure the radio station is real fvcked and far from home. Even if people called in saying what could happen, who would of thought it actually could happen? I sure didnt. sounds too crazy to believe, I can die from too much water, even though my body is 90% water. Live and learn eh? well, minus the live in this case :stare