PDA

View Full Version : Delicious Brats

jbiscuit
01-17-2007, 07:53 AM
There was a hefty topic on the subaru boards yesterday about grilling brats and preparing them etc so I decided to make my own last night. I followed one of the recipes but modified a few items....made them last night and they were dam good. I used Leinie's Creamy Dark FTW....Enjoy

1 5 pack of Johnsonville Brats
6 qt. pan
3-4 beers of your choosing (Miller Lite, Leinie's Red, Old Style are all good)
2 tablespoons of black pepper
1 tablespoon of salt
2 tablespoons of horseradish
1 generous squirt of yellow mustard
1 white onion cut up/diced..however you like

Throw all of this in the pan and mix up well and bring to a slow boil for 25 minutes. Start your grill (if charcoal) at the same time as you throw the pan on the stove. This will be almost perfect timing for the coals. Take brats out of pot and throw directly onto grill but not over direct flame....Cook for a couple minutes on each side and remove and enjoy. I've never had to throw the brats back into the beer bath as they always have good flavor. Spoon out the onions onto your brat for more intense flavor. I recomment a good wheat brat bun.

DirtyMax
01-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Add some kraut to that concoction! :drool:

I let them simmer in the "brat hot tub" after I grill them too.

GRAMPS SS
01-17-2007, 08:45 AM
always looking for new ways to cook brats...thanks j +1

wikked
01-17-2007, 09:32 AM
:drool:
damn that even sounds good at 9:30am

Neal Steffek
01-17-2007, 10:51 AM
So you made beer brats. Doesn't everyone make these?

jbiscuit
01-17-2007, 10:57 AM
So you made beer brats. Doesn't everyone make these?

hater. Take note of the extra ingredients:thumbsup :headbang

Neal Steffek
01-17-2007, 11:18 AM
hater. Take note of the extra ingredients:thumbsup :headbang

Not hating, just wondering how people on the subaru boards never had them.

PonyKiller87
01-17-2007, 11:34 AM
I do almost the same but with just the beer and onions, I skip all the other stuff. Whats really nice though is I make a 10 pack up and freeze them in packs of 2, then when ever I feel like having them, just thaw them out in the microwave and then grill them up on the stove a little, tastes just like off the grill.

pOrk
01-17-2007, 11:59 AM

Most of them are probably not from wisconsin :rolf

jbiscuit
01-17-2007, 12:25 PM

ha ha ha

2SLOW
01-17-2007, 01:14 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm brats!:drool:

wikked
01-17-2007, 02:13 PM
If anyone should know about brats, it's Subaru owners :goof
http://www.subdriven.com/news/uploads/Features/3_1982_brat.jpg

Prince Valiant
01-17-2007, 02:24 PM
lol@wiked

I generally just go with beer/onions/green peppers/salt combo...boil them for about 15 minutes or so, and then let it sit overnight or two in the fridge to absorb as much of the beer/flavor as possible.

I've tried all kinds of beers from lite to dark, etc...even guinness trying to find what worked best and I've come to the conclusion that the cheapest stuff works best. Too dark and it overcomes the flavor of the brat.

I've also tried using whiskey's and brandy's to enchance the flavor during cooking, but to no avail...either they didn't change the flavor, or just didn't make it better.

I've never tried mustard in the mix though...making me hungry for brats though.

jbiscuit
01-17-2007, 02:32 PM
green peppers are good in the mix too. I've had that before also. Lite beers usually work well, I agree. Leinie's Red has a nice flavor I've noticed. Try that sometime Chris.

We should have a Brat-off this spring. Go to someone's house and grill all kinds of different brats. Beer is a must also

Prince Valiant
01-17-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm more than willing to host :thumbsup

SSDude
01-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Add some kraut to that concoction! :drool:

I let them simmer in the "brat hot tub" after I grill them too.

Brown them on the grill and finish off in the beer hot tub. Perfect every time.
Got to go in the beer hot tub!!! It also helps to keep them plenty warm while your eating.
The best brats in the world can be had in my back yard or Sheboygan. Brat capital of the world .:thumbsup

jbiscuit
01-23-2007, 08:43 AM
K so we are doing round 2 of my brat recipe. I have a batch of brats at home in the fridge marinating in a new recipe that I will share once I try them out tonight. This new batch I am hoping lives up to my expectations. :)

Grillin brats in the winter FTW!

GRAMPS SS
01-23-2007, 10:05 AM
J lets us know if keeping them in the fridge works...i want to try your way this weekend...haveing a few friends over this wekend ...and want to grill the brats....but might try Usingners......if not then johnsonville

jbiscuit
01-23-2007, 10:11 AM
well its all an experiment here but I have a feeling the "marinated" brats will be outstanding. I used basically the same recipe but with a few changes so we'll see. One mainly being with the beer I chose for the bath. :)

Teufelhunden
01-23-2007, 11:38 AM
I love beer brats

jbiscuit
01-24-2007, 07:50 AM
OK the verdict is in. My latest go around with the brats is outstanding. This will be how I prepare them from now on.

Here you all go:

1 5-pack of JV brats...original (thawed)
1 6qt. pot
3-4 cans of Miller Lite (in a conversation with my dad he said Old Style is AWESOME for brats also)
2 tablespoons of salt

throw everything into the pan and mix up well. Add the brats and cover. Now the best part....et this sit in the fridge all day. I prepared mine at 6:30am and they were on the stove around 5:30pm. Bring to a boil. Make sure you watch the beer for the first couple minutes after they start boiling as the beer tends to froth. I let mine boil for about 25 minutes on the stove. Throw them on the grill for just a couple minutes on each side and then per some recommendations, back into the beer bath while I prepared my sides etc. Spoon out the onions onto the brat. DELICIOUS!!!!

Please try these, they are awesome!

J

BadAzzGTA89
01-24-2007, 08:10 AM
OK the verdict is in. My latest go around with the brats is outstanding. This will be how I prepare them from now on.

Here you all go:

1 6qt. pot
3-4 cans of Miller Lite (in a conversation with my dad he said Old Style is AWESOME for brats also)
2 tablespoons of salt

throw everything into the pan and mix up well. Add the brats and cover. Now the best part....et this sit in the fridge all day. I prepared mine at 6:30am and they were on the stove around 5:30pm. Bring to a boil. Make sure you watch the beer for the first couple minutes after they start boiling as the beer tends to froth. I let mine boil for about 25 minutes on the stove. Throw them on the grill for just a couple minutes on each side and then per some recommendations, back into the beer bath while I prepared my sides etc. Spoon out the onions onto the brat. DELICIOUS!!!!

J
Thanks now i will have to suffer till lunch:chair:
I thought i should have ate breakfast:goof

Teufelhunden
12-23-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm trying your recipe today for the Packer game. I love beer brats!

70challenger452
12-24-2007, 12:19 PM
as much as I love beer brats, italians simmering in pizza sauce for a good 12 hours is even better

GRAMPS SS
12-24-2007, 03:09 PM
If anyone should know about brats, it's Subaru owners :goof
http://www.subdriven.com/news/uploads/Features/3_1982_brat.jpg

that's a brat ..not a brat....

iksrebew
12-24-2007, 10:49 PM
I think lite beer works the best but what a waste of beer though as you cant drink it afterwards or wouldnt want to I should say

hrsp
12-25-2007, 12:30 AM
i have no cool recipe...but i love me some brats!!!!

Scales
04-04-2008, 11:03 AM

Here you all go:

1 6qt. pot
2 tablespoons of salt

J

J, I'm trying this out for opening day today. Minus the horseradish and mustard since me and my guests like neither. But they have been in the bath since 8:00 last night. My whole fridge smells awesome now!!! I'll post back after consumption. Although it might not be to cohereant of a post. :alcoholic

jbiscuit
04-04-2008, 11:21 AM
good work! I hope you enjoy them! Honestly, the horseradish and the little bit of mustard can barely be tasted. What kind of beer did you go with then? You use a white onion?

DurtyKurty
04-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Boiled brats FTL. :loser

Out of the fridge, onto the grill. Charcoal that is.

juicedimpss
04-04-2008, 12:14 PM
so what day you cookin them up again j?

Scales
04-04-2008, 12:16 PM
A 12 pack of JV brats, 2 24oz. cans of Miller Lite, a chopped white onion, and fresh cracked black pepper.

jbiscuit
04-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Boiled brats FTL. :loser

Out of the fridge, onto the grill. Charcoal that is.

you aren't "boiling" them and then eating them. Its all part of the flavoring process. :thumbsup

jbiscuit
04-04-2008, 12:25 PM
so what day you cookin them up again j?

we can do some brats here soon....I'm down! :thumbsup

DurtyKurty
04-04-2008, 01:04 PM
you aren't "boiling" them and then eating them. Its all part of the flavoring process. :thumbsup

Yes, I understand how the process works.

What I am saying is that I have never tasted a doctored brat that is better then a straight up grilled one. AKA, "boiled FTL".

jbiscuit
04-04-2008, 01:07 PM
don't knock it till you try it. :)

slickwilly
04-04-2008, 01:12 PM
lol @ the "science of brats."

It is definitely a bigger deal here than in Michigan. So is beer, surprisingly.

DurtyKurty
04-04-2008, 01:58 PM
don't knock it till you try it. :)

I have. That's how I got my opinion.

But hey, if you like mealy over cooked meat... more power to you. :durr

jbiscuit
04-04-2008, 02:03 PM

you are funny :rolf

SlowStee
04-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Brats = summer + warm weather = FTMFW :headbang:thumbsup

SSDude
04-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Brown them on the grill and finish off in the beer hot tub. Perfect every time.
Got to go in the beer hot tub!!! It also helps to keep them plenty warm while your eating.
The best brats in the world can be had in my back yard or Sheboygan. Brat capital of the world .:thumbsup

Made my first brats of the season Wednesday.:thumbsup

Scales
04-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Well the brats ala J (kinda) turned out awesome!!!! I have about 5 left, but I don't see them making it though the night. :@)

Rocket Power
04-04-2008, 05:28 PM
I never stopped. Winter brats keeping hope alive FTW :rolf
Below 20* the gas grill started acting funny, there is no "Low" setting, just high and "so much gas the flame blows out":wow
Yes I know charcoal's better, that was a battle I lost, Now I have a gas grill AKA the outside stove:goof:rolf

DurtyKurty
04-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Yes I know charcoal's better, that was a battle I lost,

LOL! Care to elaborate?

88Nightmare
08-20-2008, 03:00 PM
old post, but I love this recipe. I made it once before and it was a big hit. I'll be cooking them again tonight. For mustard, I use Koops Arizona Heat. Provides a nice little extra flavor, goes well with the horseradish you put in the brat bath!

jbiscuit
08-20-2008, 03:25 PM
well done!!! Try different beers also to shift the flavor. I have found that Leinies red makes for some GREAT beer bath!

CobraSnake
08-20-2008, 03:38 PM
green peppers are good in the mix too. I've had that before also. Lite beers usually work well, I agree. Leinie's Red has a nice flavor I've noticed. Try that sometime Chris.

We should have a Brat-off this spring. Go to someone's house and grill all kinds of different brats. Beer is a must also

I have two propane grills and two charcoal girlls. Don't ask why I have 4 grills its just because.

Mark

lordairgtar
08-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Much of the country don't know good brats. A friend of mine went to the state of Washington to visit other mutual friends equipped with a dry iced cooler of Usinger's brats. After the proper administering of the beer boil and the coal grilling, those Washingtonians were in sausage heaven.

flyin_blue_egg
08-20-2008, 08:48 PM

how are they over cooked??? yea you boil them for 15-25 min. but then you put them on the grill for all of 5-10 mins total....not to mention boiling them really doesn't cook them that much, just adds more flavor

flyin_blue_egg
08-20-2008, 08:51 PM
LOL! Care to elaborate?

are you saying that charcol isn't better???? charcol gives any food a MUCH better flavor.....

FourEyedFord
08-21-2008, 01:34 PM
I have heard Grasch Foods on 140th and North has their own AWESOME brats.....
They even have a festival in September dedicated to brats. :D

Cleveland Dave
04-11-2010, 04:44 PM

Here you all go:

1 6qt. pot
2 tablespoons of salt

J

trying this as i type this...cant wait to eat the brats later tonight!

modmachz
04-11-2010, 10:11 PM
You want to save time and money and have the best fucking brats in the world!!! Go to karls in the falls.. you will never have another brat other than those again in your life!!!!!

Korndogg
04-11-2010, 10:27 PM
trying this as i type this...cant wait to eat the brats later tonight!

took you a year and 8 months to try them out? :goof

Prince Valiant
04-11-2010, 10:34 PM
I've come to the conclusion that the best brats are simply cooked slowly and carefully on the grille.

PureSound15
04-11-2010, 11:14 PM
^^^ I agree. I built a little pyramid of charcoal int he middle and fan the brats out around the outside of the grill. works like a charm!

CATNHAT
04-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Try them with barbecue sauce.

Boiled in beer and onions then grilled or just grilled
barbecue sauce: Sweet Baby Rays "Sweet and Spicy"

guzzle some beers and chow down!

Cleveland Dave
04-12-2010, 07:34 PM
took you a year and 8 months to try them out? :goof

hahaha yeah i knew i had seen the recipe on here somewhere before just never had tried it out. the brats turned out awesome!

jbiscuit
04-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Glad you made them Dave. They'll be on the menu in June also :)

jon_we4
04-13-2010, 03:22 PM
I had the best brats ever back a year or two and got the recipe from the guy.

Cook the brats on the grill first, then throw them in a tin foil container with beer, onions, some butter, and season if needed. Just cover with foil and let them simmer in there for awhile on the grill, they'll be super juicy with some great flavor.

I do something similarly with italian sausages - but with peppers.

Ricky Bobby
03-07-2011, 04:56 PM
yea yea its old but any other recipes to add have tried J's recipe many times and they are great

PB86MCSS
03-07-2011, 07:27 PM
The best I've had are from Ray's butcher shop, italian's namely....typically on Opening Day and beer battered. Just cheap shit, Milwaukees Best or maybe Miller Lite if we "splurge". The atmosphere probably does help the taste too (and having a few in me as well).