PDA

View Full Version : What would you do

Brandon W.
01-13-2007, 05:34 PM
ok this is a long story so im gonna sum this up as best i can.

One of my friends car was getting some brakes done in our Auto shop at school. Car slips off jack and Crashes jack into oil pan. oil pan is cracked and needs to be replaced. car is brought to a certain auto place in Town. The incedent costs roughly $350 and is charged to the school. kid gets car back today and calls me. He says his oil light was coming on. so he drives it over to my house and there is NO oil in car. so we go to Napa and get some oil. Fill car up with 4 1/2 Quarts and start to drive to racine. we get down my road and the car starts to die when he is pressing the gas and White smoke is pouring out of the Tailpipe.so we shut it down and push it down to my house. The place that fixed the car is going to Tow it to there place abnd "fix" it. my question is should they pay for it? I am going to go with them there tommarow and make sure that they dont pay a nickel for the repair because they obviously ****ed up. Have any suggestions on what i should say or do to help them out?

fireguyrick
01-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Are you positive that the only issue after the fall was the oil pan getting cracked?

Rick

Brandon W.
01-13-2007, 05:47 PM
if something under the oil pan was ****ed up you think they would of noticed while they had the pan off and on the hoist Right?

tommyt5078
01-13-2007, 06:06 PM
What was the service that the auto place did?

Did he ask them to put oil in it or did they just replace the oil pan?

Did he check the oil level before starting the car up?

SSDude
01-13-2007, 06:38 PM
After replacing the pan they would have been responsible for filling and checking the oil. Sounds like they are as talented as the school shop.:rolf

Brandon W.
01-13-2007, 06:40 PM
i just feel bad for the kid. This car is a lemon. in the past 2 months or so. he has done Brakes all 4 tires, struts, had an electrical fire in his trunk,and now this. im thinking he has a Blown head Gasket. soupy oil blowing white smoke. Oh the car is a 94 Grand AM with the Quad 4

SSDude
01-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Then theres the genius factor of driving it when the oil light is on. "Warning CHECK THE OIL" don't keep going. If he's lucky the repair shop will make it right. My borther in law had a oil change at a speed lube and got on the expressway to have his oil light come on but by the time he stopped the damage was done. They ended up putting a used motor in for him no charge.

GRNDNL
01-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Something tells me we're not getting the whole story here......

84hurst
01-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Let's see here, quad 4, so yeah, possible head gasket issue. Maybe a lack of oil caused an overheating issue causing a head gasket to blow??? May sound a little far fetched, but that's my only guess...

Flicktitty
01-13-2007, 09:49 PM
shoulda bought a dsm lol

but seriously that sucks i'd make someone pay for it. weather it be the school or the auto shop.

Brandon W.
01-14-2007, 08:49 AM
Something tells me we're not getting the whole story here......

thats the whole story that i know. sorry if it sounds retarded but we are talking about a high school kid with a car. not an ASE certified mechanic.

pOrk
01-14-2007, 10:34 AM
thats the whole story that i know. sorry if it sounds retarded but we are talking about a high school kid with a car. not an ASE certified mechanic.

Certified or not, when the oil light comes on you check the oil!!! People with no brains are simply that, people with no brains :rolf

sloLs1
01-14-2007, 11:17 AM
........Oh the car is a 94 Grand AM with the Quad 4........

junk motors! how many miles are on it?!?!? and i am going to agree with who ever said that there might be more to the story than what you say.... if the car slipped off a jack, cracked the ol pan, the oil pump could have easily been damaged or the pick-up for the oil pump could have been damaged as well. so if the shop Knew the pan was cracked from a jack, they should have inspected the pick-up/pump.... its a nessesary routine job at my shop even if just the oil pan gasket is being replaced. SOOOO if they didnt look at that, and simply put a new pan on... filled it up with oil and sent it on its way, then they could be liable for the loss of oil/oil pressure. regarless... if its a good shop they'll fix it because the prolem is related to their fix.... I/E if you drove off the lot and cracked another pan, it would be your fault!

my 2 cents....

stowsea
01-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Dont pay for it. if either the school or the auto shop denies paying for it bring in a lawyer

Al
01-15-2007, 01:27 AM
I think the school should replace the engine.

If the car is that old, a used engine would not be difficult to find at a local junk yard. From there, the class will learn a valuable lesson about working on cars.

I am a bit surprised to hear that the school had a shop take care of such a simple problem.

Although I went to Cedarburg, this would not have happened at Grafton High School.