PDA

View Full Version : automotive electrical guys please help

rally_scort
01-08-2007, 01:49 PM
i bought a new starter for my car cuz the old one was junk.I threw it in last nite and tried cranking it over.The starter barely turned but it sounded like it wasnt engageing outwards.I checked the battery cables and they were tight.Both cables were pretty warm.The battery is good but the cables are old.The terminal ends are also new and the cables dont look corroded or cut open.Any ideas what it could be or what other info you guys need to help? Maybe a bad brand new starter? :confused

Teufelhunden
01-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Whats the battery voltage? Whats the voltage at the starter?

[VW Fox]Did you try replacing the alternator belt? [/VW Fox] <==Inside joke

rally_scort
01-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Whats the battery voltage? Whats the voltage at the starter?

[VW Fox]Did you try replacing the alternator belt? [/VW Fox] <==Inside joke

^^^hahhahaha...yeah the alternator belt is fine.Im goin right now to get the battery and starter tested at autozombie.How would i go about checking the voltage at the starter? Im guessing hook everyting up and try and crank it over and test it while cranking?

Breecher_7
01-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Id be guessing the same, as long as the voltage is right, if its not engaging, its bad...

ffvetteman
01-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Where did you get the starter from? If it is an Auto Zone or Advanced auto POS, it is probably the starter. I have gotten at leat 10 bad starters from places like that.

Take it back, demand your money back and go to NAPA or the dealer to get a new one. You will pay more, but it will last hell of a lot longer.

I could give you numerous stories of bad starters I have gotten over the years, but just dont feel like it right now.

nismodave
01-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Where did you get the starter from? If it is an Auto Zone or Advanced auto POS, it is probably the starter. I have gotten at leat 10 bad starters from places like that.

Take it back, demand your money back and go to NAPA or the dealer to get a new one. You will pay more, but it will last hell of a lot longer.

I could give you numerous stories of bad starters I have gotten over the years, but just dont feel like it right now.

Agreed.........I had a "Brend New" starter form autozone...And it was junk.

Berettaspeed
01-10-2007, 08:26 PM
umm okay....... see how much voltage is going to the starter when your cranking it... this is what i would check since you can have 12 volts when your not cranking it and that doesn't do any good since voltage is only half of what you need, you really need the amps. next is to seee how much amps its drawing. and before all of this i would have tested my starter out before i installed it, by using jumper cables.:)

if your not getting enough amps then you have some kind of connection problem. bad wire bad connection.. something like that or bad battery.

rally_scort
01-10-2007, 10:00 PM
UPDATE:

the starter is from advance auto:flipoff2: .I tried the first one and it was junk, took it back and got another and wouldnt ya know it was junk.Now im on my third one and finally i got a good one.Now when i try and crank it, the soloniod clicks but im pretty sure its because when i replaced the cables i didnt run a ground to the body like it was with the old cables.This whole ordeal is such a big hassle since they dont stock the starter and neither does anybody else so ive wasted 3 days goin back and forth to exchange starters after they get another one in.Lifetime warranty can lick my ass if the starter isnt in stock when mine goes bad.Thanks guys for the help.Ill check it out tomorrow and see what happens.On a side note, if anybody has a brake tubing bender i can use for a couple hours during the day tomorrow it would be appreciated.Pm me if you can help me out with that.Thanks again. :thumbsup

Yooformula
01-10-2007, 10:12 PM
so you didnt ground the cables properly so, isnt the real reason why they all fried is because of you??...hope you get it all straighented out but sounds like user error to me.

rally_scort
01-10-2007, 10:15 PM
so you didnt ground the cables properly so, isnt the real reason why they all fried is because of you??...hope you get it all straighented out but sounds like user error to me.

no.i had them tested right out of the box.Before i even left the store they were junk.Then the counter monkeys think they are nice when they tell me they can have another one there by noon the next day.Thank god this isnt my daily driver right now.

Yooformula
01-10-2007, 10:18 PM
ahhh well then carry on sir!

wikked
01-11-2007, 09:07 AM
UPDATE:

the starter is from advance auto:flipoff2: .I tried the first one and it was junk, took it back and got another and wouldnt ya know it was junk.Now im on my third one and finally i got a good one.

Get a oem one from a junkyard, they're ALWAYS better than a reman'd parts store one.
Bought one for my aunt's 'scort (be glad you didn't buy that- turned out to be a nightmare) and it worked great.
You're right though, it's a bìtch to get in there.

rally_scort
01-13-2007, 09:52 AM
well i got the car to crank over but the fuel pump isnt running.The pump relay doesnt click either.When i jump the f/p and ground pin in the diagnostic port, the pump turns on and runs constant and the relay clicks over.Anybody know what i can check?