PDA

View Full Version : Zoo in the winter

Goat Roper
12-31-2006, 07:13 PM
I have never made it up to the zoo in the winter before but with our family pass and temps around 50 we really couldn't say no today.

If you like the big cats, this time of year (especially towards the end of the day, feeding time) is great because they are very animated, especially the lion and his mate. The Siberian Tiger also seems hell bent on taking out the lion from the stare downs and pacing they were doing.

The people who work with the animals are also very talkative and love telling you all about their animals. I know more about penguins now than ever.

The giraffe exhibit is open and free of charge right now, it is usually $11 per person come summer time.

Other than that, things are awfully quiet there, we probably saw 30 other people.

Anyway, maybe I am the last person to discover this. If not, give it a shot :thumbsup

Some pics from today: http://www.webtrendsguy.com/photobook/categories.php?cat_id=23

Yooformula
12-31-2006, 08:04 PM
very cool pics!

stowsea
12-31-2006, 08:28 PM
didnt know that the zoo was open in the winter. Cool!

pOrk
01-01-2007, 02:04 PM
didnt know that the zoo was open in the winter. Cool!

The zoo is one of the only public places in Wisconsin that is truly open 365 days a year

wikked
01-01-2007, 08:03 PM
The giraffe exhibit is open and free of charge right now, it is usually $11 per person come summer time.

I was there for Zoo Ala Carte and the giraffe's were free?
Did they get moved?
That area was just open in the middle of everything, can't see how they'd be able to crowd control if it's in the same place.

Goat Roper
01-02-2007, 04:35 AM
When we were there this summer the "Giraffe Experience" building was pay-per-entry. There was still a couple giraffes outside but you had to pay to get into the building.

jamest
01-02-2007, 04:14 PM
The zoo is one of the only public places in Wisconsin that is truly open 365 days a year

It is true that the zoo is open 365 days a year. The reasoning for that was the county executive at the time wanted to be inclusive to all the residents of Milwaukee County and therefore he felt that it should be open during Christmas, New Years etc. because not everyone is christian or celebrates the holidays. That is what I was told when I worked there.

The fall and winter is the best time to go if you don't want to get caught up in the crowds. I think there is a family free day coming up soon. Plus they lower the prices on food and beverages during this time as well. Avoid going in spring as a lot of the schools have field trips during that time and if you don't like kids it wouldn't be fun.

The timber wolves were always interesting to watch at the end of the day as they became a bit active. I remember filling vending machines around 5pm near the giraffes and having this feeling that someone was watching me. I turned around and there was 2 of wolves staring at me from behind their glass. Creepy.

How was the giraffe experience? Would it be worth the money to see if it wasn't free?