PDA

View Full Version : F.A.S.T. Musclecars in action...HemiVsBuick

Prince Valiant
12-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Looks like for this HOTROD arranged shootout, slicks were allowed. Didn't know there was a switch, but Dudek is no longer in the purple challenger, but in a 3750lb (w/driver) Hemi Roadrunner. Both cars, and the vette featured are gorgeous cars though...:thumbsup to them for racing them as they are intended to be!

http://media.putfile.com/FAST-Hemi-vs-Buick-vs-Vette-Shootout

BAD LS1
12-21-2006, 06:01 PM
I cant believe them things go that good! they gotta be hiding bottles! lol You NEVER see those things run like that for muscle car reviews pure stock type drags... There is some black magic going on hahahahha

MurphysLaw88GT
12-21-2006, 06:15 PM
"I think i need to put a hemi in my Vette"..............LOL:banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1:

Not to bad for a old boat anchor of a motor:shades :goof

Crawlin
12-21-2006, 06:19 PM
the slicks thing is kinda weird. I always thought that the rules were VERY liberal. Pretty much anything as a power plant as long as to the eye it looked like it came from the factory.

So "Factory Appearing Stock Tire" class.

BAD LS1
12-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Yah... prolly all out race motor's on the inside dressed up with factory colored engine paint, stock air cleaners and manifolds...

The real deal FAST cars barely make it to mid 11's in the latest muscle car review... And they cut decent 60's and 1/8ths on street tires

Flight_740
12-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Yah... prolly all out race motor's on the inside dressed up with factory colored engine paint, stock air cleaners and manifolds...

The real deal FAST cars barely make it to mid 11's in the latest muscle car review... And they cut decent 60's and 1/8ths on street tires

From I remember those old cars had troubles running 14's.:confused

Prince Valiant
12-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Actually, the REAL FAST cars are now solid 10's...the vette was the quickest ET's on polyglass tires with some crazy 10.5-10.6. Joel Nystrom was the first mopar in the 10's, and is now around 10.7 i believe, and there is at least another camaro (ZL-1) that's also in the 10's along with dudek's Road Runner (the shootout's winner). Maybe only two years ago though, people were freaking out that they were breaking 11.5's, and how would tracks enforce the cage requirements.

Still don't know where dudek's challenger is...he was always one for the fastest traps of 133mph or so...

Now I think the fastest smallblock is (70 challenger T/A) is knocking on the 10's even :wow:

This was a special shootout among the FAST cars, allowing them to use slicks for best traction...it was sponsored by HOT ROD magazine.

As far as rules go, everything is kosher as long as it looks stock. The hemi's are generally running b/w 471 and 500 ci's...not sure what the rat motors or buicks are running for displacement. Not only does it have to look stock, but it also has to sound stock as well.

There is an actuall "PURE STOCK" drags...not sure what the times are there...last I followed, they were in the solid mid/ maybe low 12's, but who knows now?

Flight_740
12-22-2006, 11:26 AM
So these cars are not stock? They only look stock?

These are not how they were when they rolled off the line?

Prince Valiant
12-22-2006, 11:46 AM
So these cars are not stock? They only look stock?

These are not how they were when they rolled off the line?Correct.

it's Factory Appearing Stock Tire

So, examples are this:

Heads: Must use factory cast iron heads, unless equiped with AL heads stock...but can have bigger valves, springs, porting, etc.

intake: Factory unit...cast iron if so equiped, AL allowed if that's how it came from the factory (ZL-1's are all AL, remember). Modifications can be made here like cutting the pleneum, extrude hone, gasket matching.

Block/engine: Factory blocks...can bore and stroke. No aftermarket blocks unless it's a replacement factory style block. Can run higher than stock compression. Cam can have any lift or duration, but MUST IDLE LIKE A STOCK MUSCLECAR. That's the big challenge these guys face...making an 800hp engine idle like a stock cammed car.

Manifolds: Must use manifolds that the car came equipped with. Can modify/port/hone.

Carbs: Factory carbs must be used.

Ignition: Can use a factory appearing distributer/coil...most modify to electronic type. Some keep points.

Exhaust: Can use X pipes. I think they can use increased diameter exhaust.

There are more tricks...with suspension, etc...but everything really must look stock, including no excessively wide tires (some allowance in width is made...but not alot)

It is one of the *neatest*, most fun racing events to watch. Most guys doing this aren't this fast. I've seen 15 second cars show up before...

BAD LS1
12-22-2006, 12:48 PM
From I remember those old cars had troubles running 14's.:confused

Yup... thats the reality of the actual stock ones. Some of the quicker big inch cars like 427 Camaro's, Vette's, and some Mopars would run mid-high 11's.

It's cool that they can run mid 10's looking stock... but when you start painting after market heads and intake to make them look like factory parts... I kinda lose respect for this type of racing.

My old man was a big street racer back in the day and he said the same thing, u were lucky to make the hi-po cars run anywhere near as good as these things do today.

Flight_740
12-22-2006, 01:14 PM
My old man was a big street racer back in the day and he said the same thing, u were lucky to make the hi-po cars run anywhere near as good as these things do today.

Technology is key. There is no way that in the 80's you could get a honda to run 17's.

Prince Valiant
12-22-2006, 02:35 PM
but when you start painting after market heads and intake to make them look like factory parts... I kinda lose respect for this type of racing.They don't...from the official FAST rule book:

2.03 Cylinder Heads and Intake Manifold MUST be correct* OEM casting, have correct* original casting numbers and be of correct* original material.
*This may very well be the most important and teched F.A.S.T. rule.
Note: Any cylinder head or intake manifold that is not the correct* casting number, must be approved and published on the F.A.S.T. website.
Casting date codes are not looked at and are not part of the tech process.

face it...those old designs were pretty stout. Fact is, even unported, the Hemi heads can support nearly 800hp with enough cam.

BAD LS1
12-22-2006, 02:48 PM
They don't...from the official FAST rule book:

2.03 Cylinder Heads and Intake Manifold MUST be correct* OEM casting, have correct* original casting numbers and be of correct* original material.
*This may very well be the most important and teched F.A.S.T. rule.
Note: Any cylinder head or intake manifold that is not the correct* casting number, must be approved and published on the F.A.S.T. website.
Casting date codes are not looked at and are not part of the tech process.

face it...those old designs were pretty stout. Fact is, even unported, the Hemi heads can support nearly 800hp with enough cam.

Thats not "factory stock" though with any major mods I.E. HUGE cam, ported stock heads....

Maybe its my misunderstanding that these cars are to built as how they came from the factory, tuned up and plopped on the track. Maybe it should be called, "how far can we bend the rules while looking stock racing"?

And no, i still dont care for carburetors:goof I work with small ones everyday, and they still dont impress me. The only thing containing the use of bernouli's principle that i think is really cool is air planes:rolf

Prince Valiant
12-22-2006, 02:57 PM
Thats not "factory stock" though with any major mods I.E. HUGE cam, ported stock heads....that's why it's "factory appearing stock tire". Stock tires. Everything else factory appearing but using essentialy stock carbs, minimally modified ignitions, etc...so it's mostly all there.

And on the cams, yeah...you can run any cam you want. But it's hard to run HUGE cams and not idle like you've got one...hence the challenge, it's still has to sound like it's stock. Many run HYD rollers with duration numbers fairly close to stock, installed with retard to make it a little softer on the low end (so as not to blow the tires to oblivion), and to make a few more rpm's to make more power.

But, like I posted, these are NOT aftermarket heads...just stock casting heads worked over.

The Factory stock guys are running in the "Pure Stock" drags, that FAST was an off-shoot from. Pure stock guys get a little leeway, but must be torn down and certified as "Pure Stock".

CARBS RULE :headbang
:goof