PDA

View Full Version : Land of the Free?

subliminal1284
12-18-2006, 03:48 AM
Land of the Free?

A list of facts disproving the illusion that America is the "Land of the Free"

Why America is NOT the "Land of the Free"

There’s a myth permeating American culture that proclaims the USA as the freest country in the world. If we take a moment to drop the mindless rhetoric and look at the facts and statistics, we find this is not the case at all. In reality, the U.S. is very far from being a model for "freedom."

Please Consider the Following:

Unlike most civilized nations, America can force any of its males 18 years old or over to participate in war, murder, and mayhem.

America has the highest legal alcohol consumption age on the planet.

Unlike most countries, it is illegal to walk around in public with an open container of an alcoholic beverage.

America has some of the toughest marijuana laws on the planet. In fact, in 2000 there were 734,497 marijuana related arrests. 646,042 (88% of them) were for possession alone.

Unlike the nations with legalized, regulated, and taxed prostitution, America completely outlaws prostitution (except in remote Nevada counties).

According to the Justice Policy Institute, even though the US only has 5% of the world’s population, it has 25% of the world’s prisoners.

America is one of few nations (amongst corrupt dictatorships) where a candidate can get more votes than any other candidate and still lose the election.

America is the only country that fined citizens who provided food and medicine for dying children in Iraq.

America is the only country that fines and/or imprisons its citizens for vacationing in Cuba.

America is the only country that fines its citizens for bringing Cuban cigars back to the US from Mexico and other neutral territories.

America imprisons more citizens (total and per capita) than any other nation on earth.

Despite over 100 nations outlawing the death penalty, America is allowed to execute citizens who are found guilty in its erroneous court system.

America is the only industrialized nation that executes juvenile offenders via the death penalty.

Since the Patriot Act passed, America is the only industrialized nation without freedom of speech, press, and assembly. American citizens are freer to speak their mind in many other countries than they are in their own.

Since the Patriot Act passed, American citizens are no longer guaranteed a fair trial or even a chance to prove their innocence.

Citizens in America can be imprisoned for decades for rape if they have consensual sex with a 17 year-old partner, even if they are only a few months or years older that the 17 year-old.

The US is one of few nations resisting women’s right to choose, even in extreme cases as South Dakota has shown.

The US is the only industrialized nation that doesn’t provide healthcare for its citizens, forcing them to pay for expensive medical plans with partial coverage, find jobs with incomplete plans, or live without any coverage (nearly 50 million are without medical coverage and over 110 million without dental).

America has stricter pharmaceutical control, requiring prescriptions for medicines such as antibiotics and skin ointments that other countries do not require prescriptions for.

America is the only industrialized nation in recent history that had major corporate bans of music for political and social content, even though the music contains no profanity or adult-rated themes. (For a period after 9/11, Clear Choice, the largest radio conglomerate banned all Rage Against the Machine songs, amongst a long list of others, including John Lennon’s "Imagine")

America financially makes freedom of press impossible. For example, the FCC has made independent FM radio very difficult without major financial backing. Another example is the Pentagon buying up the rights to photographs of the US war in Afghanistan from the major media.

America has the most complex laws and insurance policies on the planet, forcing citizens to hire lawyers and be completely insured. If one does not have both, he or she risks the wrath of those who do have legal representation or expensive insurance policies.

America is one of few countries that place asylum claimers in regular prisons.

Slavery is still constitutionally legal in the U.S.A.

America strictly censors songs on the radio and shows on national TV. Other industrialized countries are more liberal in terms of what they allow to air.

In most European Union countries, the average worker receives between five and eight weeks of paid vacation each year. In America, the average is one to two weeks.

In some European countries, mothers can take up to 3 years for maternity leave.

Americans have to pay for higher education, while many Europeans get to study at college for free.

America is one of few countries where betting on sports is illegal.

America also has stricter gambling laws (with legal gambling only in certain forms in different areas) than many other nations.

http://www.landofhypocrisy.com
By Kennie Anderson
Published: 9/10/2006

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/9-9-2006-108154.asp

*Some of the points are very intresting, like the Patriot act, while others are a little out there. All in all I think the article makes a good point, the best being about the number of prisoners in this country.

Yooformula
12-18-2006, 03:59 AM
meh for all of that, I still think I have a better life here than in any other country so I am fine with that. You know can leave if its that big of a deal for ya;) :goof

supra213
12-18-2006, 05:46 AM
Land of the Free?

Unlike most civilized nations, America can force any of its males 18 years old or over to participate in war, murder, and mayhem.

This country was founded on war, murder, and mayhem. Its only right for you to be forced to participate from time to time.:goof

America has some of the toughest marijuana laws on the planet. In fact, in 2000 there were 734,497 marijuana related arrests. 646,042 (88% of them) were for possession alone.

Arrests sure, but how many actually get charged with jail time. Very few. The arrest is usually just to get you to pay a fine. The government probably makes more money on drug fines than they ever would if they legalized and taxed drugs. No wonder why they don't legalize it.:shades

Despite over 100 nations outlawing the death penalty, America is allowed to execute citizens who are found guilty in its erroneous court system.

There are plenty of countries that do have death penalties... this statement is missleading. Sure 100 outlaw it, but how many have it. I count at least 67.

America is the only industrialized nation that doesn’t provide healthcare for its citizens, forcing them to pay for expensive medical plans with partial coverage, find jobs with incomplete plans, or live without any coverage (nearly 50 million are without medical coverage and over 110 million without dental).

Free healthcare is a joke. In England (they have free healthcare) if you want to make a doctors appointment, they say come on this day. Yes, day. Not at 12 or 5. You will be their all day, waiting with the rest of the people who were also told to be their that day. Treatment for your ailment could take 4 months for you to get if it requires surgery.

America has stricter pharmaceutical control, requiring prescriptions for medicines such as antibiotics and skin ointments that other countries do not require prescriptions for.

The overuse of antibiotics is why we have problems now. Those little bugs that make you sick are now resistant to a lot of the antibiotics we use.
This article is dangerous because it is filled with propaganda and half truths. It is still a very interesting article. Good find.

USMARINE1108
12-18-2006, 06:16 AM
meh for all of that, I still think I have a better life here than in any other country so I am fine with that. You know can leave if its that big of a deal for ya;) :goof

Exactly. If you don't like the way you live, do something about it or leave. Subliminal1284, there are so many problems and debatable points in your post that it's not even worth it.
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/4871/724youwintheprizefn7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Mr. Brett
12-18-2006, 08:44 AM
This article is dangerous because it is filled with propaganda and half truths.

Exactly.

Al
12-18-2006, 01:12 PM
The overuse of antibiotics is why we have problems now. Those little bugs that make you sick are now resistant to a lot of the antibiotics we use.
This article is dangerous because it is filled with propaganda and half truths. It is still a very interesting article. Good find.

Very True!

You cannot wipe out bacteria like that one commercial with the little girl who says "I think samonella is a kind of dinosaur."

These bugs mutate faster than we can learn to deal with them.

Back in the 60's, US Surgeon General William H. Stewart declared "we can close the book on infectious diseases." That was a load of bull, but nobaody realized it back then.

Penicillin was effective some time ago, but not so much anymore.

Also try nosocomial infections. These are the bugs which you cannot kill which exist in hospitals. They have become resistant not only to antibiotics, but harsh chemicals such as chlorine.

Currently, the most potent antibiotic is vancomycin. It is currently being reserved as the drug of "last resort." If it doesn't work, you better start praying. Due to improper use, there are emerging pathogenic stains which are resistant to it now.

fireguyrick
12-18-2006, 01:27 PM
The antibiotic issue is not just because of being over used. It has ALOT to do with people NOT taking their script all the way to the last pill, and at a regular interval as prescribed.

About the draft. Well, How many nations have a military service requirement at age 18?
Austria
Belarus
Bermuda
Brazil
Bulgaria
Chile
China (PRC)
Croatia
Cyprus
Denmark
Egypt
Eritrea
Finland
Germany
Greece
Iran
Israel
Korea, South
Lebanon
Malaysia
Mexico
Norway
Poland
Russia
Serbia and Montenegro
Singapore
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan (ROC)
Turkey
Ukraine

And this is not like the Selective Service in the US.

Eh, whatever sheep will believe what the shepard tells them.

Rick

Prince Valiant
12-18-2006, 02:21 PM
lol...I almost expected to see stuff like this:

"America doesn't allow you to sleep with boys under 15. What's up with that?"

-or-

"America has laws against beastiality. Land of the "free" indeed!"

I could litterally go on for hours...it'd be fun!

BUT, I love how there are some equating "freedoms" to their narrow view of what a society should be, IE, I want prostitutes, drugs, never should have to go to jail, should be protected and have no civic responsiblities, and I want everyone else to pay for my healthcare, living, retirement, etc, etc...otherwise I am not "free".

But that's some goofy crap...I think I'd need to be on some strong "stuff" to see things as the author of the "article" sees it, I guess.

deciuss
12-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Slavery is still constitutionally legal in the U.S.A.

um there was an ammendment if you wana argue that i will find the exact date for you. seeing as how we just covered this in my history 124 class.....
remeber that little war that we had althow it did not fully revolve around slavery you know the blue and the gray... north vs south um ya.....

supra213
12-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Some people believe its in the constitution that you don't need to pay taxes either. Its getting close to tax time, I'm sure those threads will show up sooner or later.

88Nightmare
12-18-2006, 08:52 PM
America is the only industrialized nation that executes juvenile offenders via the death penalty.

talk about a redudant sentence. they execute people via a death penalty. What else would they use to execute them? An insurance seminar?

Anyway, like others said, there are plenty of other countries for you to live in.

When was the last time we actually had a mandatory draft? vietnam? either way, at least we aren't like the vietnamese who will give a gun to any man, woman, or child.

Laws against marijuana are fine with me. Do you want to have a lot of potheads roaming around? Problem with the legal drinking age? Go to Amsterdam then.

As far as the consentual sex thing dealing with age, there has to be a cut off point. Besides, is it really important for kids/young men-women to be having sex at that age anyway? Doesn't this country have enough problems with teenage mothers abandoning newborns? Every time I open up my morning paper and see some poor 3 day old infant found in a garbage can or by a river bank I get sick to my stomach. Perhaps planned parenthood should be walking down the sidewalks throwing javelins into the cocks of some of these teenage guys who impregnate their girlfriends then take off.

Eh, I think this thread was a bad idea. Like others said, most of the points are half true, and there is more to it then that. But anyway... life goes on. I think I'll stay in this country :D