PDA

View Full Version : So, what are some of the BEST places you have had dinner at?

fireguyrick
12-17-2006, 12:00 AM
Just curious as to what everyone feels was the best couple of places they have eaten at. Let us know where, what type of food, and price catagory.

Locally:

I always enjoy Karl Ratzch's Sauerbraten. Price is like $20 an entree.

Sabor had some good food, and a great selection of wine. Something like $40 a plate there IIRC.

I actually like PF Changs in Mayfair. Their lettuce wraps are very good. I think that cost me like $15 or so a person.

Little further away in Chicago Charlie Trotter's is good. Never sure what I get there though. It is French with Asian influences. IIRC that set me back about $400-$500 with wine pairings for 2.

Not Locally:

By far the best place I have EVERY had the pleasure of dining at is Per se in NYC. The menu changes daily, so I could not really tell you what I like to get there (not to mention I have only dined there twice). It is a PITA to get a reservation there as they only book 2 months out, and they usually are booked solid within a half hour of taking reservations. This also was the most expensive place I have dined at, it was well north of $700 for my wife and I each time we visited.

Now, the out of the way place that I would be suprised if anyone will have the chance to dine at is a place in Bonaire. The restaurant is called It Rains Fishes. It is on the western coast of the island and is run by a pretty friggin hot blonde from Amsterdam. They have amazing desserts there, and excellent fish. Was only about $30 USD for my wife and I.

Rick

PureSound15
12-17-2006, 12:07 AM
A cheaper/cozy place for italian... Capri. 82nd and beloit I believe.

Mmmm lasagna :drool:

Yooformula
12-17-2006, 12:33 AM
Houston's steakhouse in Boca. My wife and I used to go there probably once a week. Their fresh crab cakes and 20 oz filet were to die for.

Ruth Chris's steakhouse in Ft. Lauderdale ranks as my best spot to date. Alot of close seconds though.

Todd Z
12-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Coerpers ( 24th & State ) best steak in the city and country period!
$36.00 for 21oz. NY strip. It has been there for 60+ years and they have never advertised. How many businesses can you name with a zero budget for advertising. It was sold a year ago but it is still the best even if I don't agree with some of the changes the new owner has made.:rolleyes:

Flicktitty
12-17-2006, 12:53 AM
There is a place in Waukesha i've gone to a few times its off I-94? it's a western themed place i think it's is/was called Brisco County

Also like YOO said PF Changs at mayfair is some good grubb too.

I haven't been here in a few years but last i knew the Mineshaft was good too! :)

As welll as the Safe house on Water st. downtown.

Also down in the Chicago Area there is Portillios that i absolutly LOVE

BigSnailBuick
12-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Saki Tumi downtown Milwaukee is great for sushi :headbang

hrsp
12-17-2006, 01:55 AM
OCB!!!! if ya dont know what it is ya better ask somebody!!!!

RanJer
12-17-2006, 02:03 AM
OCB!!!! if ya dont know what it is ya better ask somebody!!!!

Did you take the short bus to school?

As for me, i like Boulder Junction, Fridays, Charcoal Grill... I don't need to be all fancy. Usually if I'm getting a steak I cook it myself. Gotta have the mushrooms and onions on there, with a twice-baked potato.

HITMAN
12-17-2006, 02:16 AM
Coerpers ( 24th & State ) best steak in the city and country period!
$36.00 for 21oz. NY strip. It has been there for 60+ years and they have never advertised. How many businesses can you name with a zero budget for advertising. It was sold a year ago but it is still the best even if I don't agree with some of the changes the new owner has made.:rolleyes:

I'll second Coerper's. Hard to beat in quality, quantity and value. But don't mess with the NY Strip, go for the 16oz filet.:drool:

Sabor is pretty good, as well.

Best Italian/Sicilian has to be a three-way tie between Carini's La Conca D'oro on the East side, Casa DiGiorgio's in Franklin and Trattoria DiCarlo's in Oak Creek.They each have their strong points.

supra213
12-17-2006, 02:52 AM
Ristorante Bartolotta - Very good Italian

Morton's Steak House in Chicago - Only three words are needed to describe this place.... Best Steak Anywhere.
I can't comment on price for Morton's because we were eating on someone elses dollar, but I know it was very expensive $$$$. Good place to go to see some exotic cars.... there was an Aston Martin Vanquish and Lamborghini Murcielago parked out in front the night I went.

Al
12-17-2006, 04:10 AM
Cream City Custard
Hefner's Custard
Cheesecake Factory
Outback Steakhouse

The Best of all places:
Gibson's Steak House, Chicago.
^ Bring at least 100$/person if you go there.

Only The Saloon has been able to outrank Gibson's. One of them held the title for "americas best steak house."

SSDude
12-17-2006, 07:30 AM
Best Steaks Good ribs and pasta "Jackson Grill" 37th and Mitchel. Been there many times and never disappointed.
3 1/2 star rated http://www.onwisconsin.com/dining/dining.asp?id=3331

Crawlin
12-17-2006, 07:42 AM
Caterina's on 92nd and Oklahoma... Awesome Italian food.

I like Maggiano's, but not as much as Caterina's. And the one that is apart of Brookfield square(italian place) i didn't care for. service sucked and the menus was very weak

PF Chang's I like as well.

BUT, there is a place in the woodfield mall in schaumburg called Stir Crazy, all stir fry type place. That is hands down better than PF CHang's. GO there everytime I'm down past it.

I ate at Louise's recently, and it was ok. I REALLY liked their stromboli, but it just was kinda a dull atmosphere there.

I love eating at the Melting Pot over by Fun World in brookfiled. It makes you FULL. And it's a nice little process that you have. It's like an hour or two for the whole meal. Plus wine selection is top notch.

I've had a couple things at Monsoon, but only liked one of them. Menu isn't the largest or best.

Lake Park Bistro I love going to as well.

Sunday morning brunch at Trocodero(sp?) is incredible as well.

nismodave
12-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Best Mexican- Botona's on 5th. Food is Excellent. I have never taken a date or friend their and not converted them from going to Le Fuente.

CLICK ME (http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17830)
Best Steak- Mr B's......See my thread.

Best Pizza- Fred's Pizza in Grand Rapids, Michigan. A little hole in the wall, run by real Itailans. You can hear them cussing at each other in the kitchen. But the Pizza is incredible.

Best Seafood- The Rosewood Grille in Las Vegas Nv. A huge lobster and steak combo. Excellent Shrimp that are huge.

Best Itailian- Joey's on Jackson. A very old school Italian resturaunt, with an Amazing chicken parmision. The Ravioli is also fantastic.

BTW.....Good thread man. +1

supra213
12-17-2006, 09:13 AM
You should try Jalepeno Loco over by the airport. They have awesome mexican food, much better than Botana's and La Feunte IMO. Don't forget to order the margarita royale ($80 a pitcher), its really good, and there is a LOT of tequilla in it.
I still like Conejitos, not very good mexican food, but paper plates rule.

GRAMPS SS
12-17-2006, 10:42 AM
RUTH CHRIS'S in INDY.....BEST STEAK I HAVE HAD.....CLOSE TO 200 FOR ANN AND MYSELF...NEVER AGAIN, BUT IT WAS FUN....BEAMERS AND LAMBOS AND BENZ IN THE LOT, AND THERE WAS MY MONTE SS AMOUNG THE RICH OF INDY.....................AROUND HERE BOULDER JUCTION 127TH AND BURLEIGH

GRAMPS SS
12-17-2006, 12:01 PM
CULVERS for the win.....BUTTER BURGER

JC70SS
12-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Mima's on Brady St.
The Knick
Botana's
Zaffiro's Pizza

I hate STEAK!!!

Oh I cannot forget Oakland Gyros!!!!!!!!!!!!

79SS
12-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Genesis on hwy 100 and Beloit:headbang

SlowStee
12-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Caterina's on 92nd and Oklahoma... Awesome Italian food.

always wondered how good their food was...Ive seen some expensive cars in there before..

definately a bookmarkable thread!:thumbsup

Flicktitty
12-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Oh yeah, i gotta rep where i work at Night Mickys Pizza!! woot lol

Karps TA
12-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Packing House is probably my favorite local restaurant. Steak House 100 used to be the best place for a steak, but unfortunately it's a friggen Walgreens now.

Theres a bunch of great restaurants in Vegas I've eaten at. Prime at Bellagio, Joes in Caesers mall are 2 of my favorites there.

hrsp
12-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Did you take the short bus to school?

As.

no iw alked to the s:goof ckool

turbogarrett
12-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Coerper's = best steak in town and you can stop by rickey's afterwards:goof:banana1:

I like Eddie Martinis over by froedert, everything I have had there has been great.

DirtyMax
12-17-2006, 08:15 PM
We eat out alot (too much maybe) and always like to try different places. If you don't have one, I highly suggest picking up the Entertainment book. There's a ton of restaurants that have Buy One Get One coupons in there and we've found some really good places to eat because of the book...

Here's my "list":

Steaks - Mr B's is the best in my opinion. Coerper's is a close second. But we are going to try Jackson Grill in the next week ot two based on a recommendation so hopefully it will stack up somewhat.

Italian - Taste of Italy on Bluemound (JJ) in Waukesha just East of 164 (the old J) has to be my favorite. Great intimate atmosphere and the food... :drool: . Another favorite is Carini's on the East side. If you like Calmari, you haven't had anything like theirs! I know the family who owns it and they're really great people to boot!

Pizza - Sophia's on 71st-ish and Lincoln is really good! So is Decarlo's in Oak Creek. Marie's on Forest Home is awesome too but that place has some very loose hours is never friggin' open.

Mexican - As far as food, Swayz in St. Francis was awesome. We tried it last weekend for the first time and will definitely be going back. Second favorite is probably Casa del Rio out on Main St. in Waukesha next door to Jimmy's Grotto. For margaritas, La Iguana Loca on 84th and Morgan is the best in recent memomy.

Subs - Suburpia is the best hands down. There were a ton of them in town in the 70's-80's and they all shut down when the owner got in some trouble. Now they reopened one on Mayfair & Bluemound and are going to open a few more soon. The original owner is acting as a consultant and the subs are exactly like they were back when I was a youngster!

Ribs - Jerry's Old Town Inn in Germantown. Their ribs are fantastic and the portions are good sized. Their Baked French Onion soup is the best of it's kind anywhere, period! There is a pub next door that's alot more "chill" and they serve Jerry's menu. I can sit there and eat 3 crocks of that soup without hesitation!

GRAMPS SS
12-17-2006, 08:29 PM
^^^^^^^^the bread is different.....gold coast on Burnam plus a few other locations is the old surburpia...they bought him out when he went bye bye for awhile...thats why the bread is different now but the rest is the same so gold coast can't come after him.......

DirtyMax
12-17-2006, 08:34 PM
^^^^^^^^the bread is different.....gold coast on Burnam plus a few other locations is the old surburpia...they bought him out when he went bye bye for awhile...thats why the bread is different now but the rest is the same so gold coast can't come after him.......

Hmm, I had no idea. It must be similar though for the most part. I was probably like 8 when they all shut down...

turbogarrett
12-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Oh and the best burger in town can be found at Sobleman's (1900 St. Paul), they also make a pretty good bloody mary:thumbsup

Mssplayboybunie
12-17-2006, 08:51 PM
best places by far 1. Cheescake factory, expensive but the best food ever!!
2. Di carlos in oak creek, you get what you pay for!

wikked
12-17-2006, 09:00 PM
Best home-cooked type food = Machine Shed :drool:

fireguyrick
12-17-2006, 09:15 PM
Le Terraza in Oak Creek (Howell and Ryan) is some good mexican. They have GOOD Margarita's, they are fairly strong too.

Rick

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
12-17-2006, 09:17 PM
The best fancy sit down place is the Quilted Bear just off of 45 in Germantown. They are closed mondays but offer a wide variety of dinners.

Joey Buenos is a really good Italian place in downtown. I believe it's on the corner of Water and Clybourn.

H8RADE
12-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Gene & Georgetti's Restaurant in Chicago is the spot-on fave.
A close second is Wildfire Grill in the same city.
Locally, Wicked Hop is solid, and Coerper's can't be beat.
Mr. B's sears some fine meat, as does Butch's Clock.
:thumbsup

VroomPshhTsi
12-17-2006, 09:21 PM
Well I hate extremely fancy restaurants (sticks n stones, etc.). I haven't had much experience with "expensive but worth it" places like some of the places you guys have listed for some great steak so I'll have to check those places out.

Since I'm a sports fan I just go to Champs in Brookfield cuz they have a bunch of big ass TVs with the big game on and during commercials they play music. I know their food isn't anything to brag about but it's good enough for me. I love going there cuz I can catch the game, not pay a bunch, and usually run into people I know. I just hate going out to eat, paying a ton of money, and missing any great games that would be on.

VroomPshhTsi
12-17-2006, 09:21 PM
where is mr. B's? and Jackson Grill?

SSDude
12-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Steaks - Mr B's is the best in my opinion. Coerper's is a close second. But we are going to try Jackson Grill in the next week ot two based on a recommendation so hopefully it will stack up somewhat.

Give a report on Jackson Grill after you go. Their steaks are awsome. Better than Coerper's. Mr.B's has a great steak as well but they screw you by making everything ala carte on the menu. You'll spend half of that at Jackson Grill.

SSDude
12-17-2006, 09:26 PM
where is mr. B's? and Jackson Grill?

177th and Capitol

SSDude
12-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Jackson Grill 37th and Mitchel

DirtyMax
12-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Give a report on Jackson Grill after you go.

Will do. I think we're going to try and make reservations for New Year's Eve...

hrsp
12-18-2006, 01:27 AM
Best home-cooked type food = Machine Shed :drool:

yeah ate there before...good stuff!!!

Waver
12-18-2006, 06:50 AM
Kodiak Jacks in oshkosh....real good and juicy steaks for a good price, I think the entire meal came out to be like 15/16 bucks or somthing

GRAMPS SS
12-18-2006, 09:12 AM
what about for BBQ RIBS.....Jerrys in Germantown use to be the place to go, but since he sold out , it has really changed for the worse..for the true BBQ lovers out there, try FAMOUS DAVES............we go to the one on south 27th street......
there BBQ is to die for......on the table they have like 6 sauses you can try as well as the one they put on your BBQ....they have another one on moreland .....they just took first plce at the vegas BBQ shoot out over 140 over places...trust me, try the place......:thumbsup :thumbsup

H8RADE
12-18-2006, 09:15 AM
what about for BBQ RIBS.....Jerrys in Germantown use to be the place to go, but since he sold out , it has really changed for the worse..for the true BBQ lovers out there, try FAMOUS DAVES............we go to the one on south 27th street......
there BBQ is to die for......on the table they have like 6 sauses you can try as well as the one they put on your BBQ....they have another one on moreland .....they just took first plce at the vegas BBQ shoot out over 140 over places...trust me, try the place......:thumbsup :thumbsup

Sazs.
'Nough said!

fireguyrick
12-18-2006, 09:24 AM
There is a BBQ place in Madison near the airport. I cannot think of the name for the life of me though, they have GREAT BBQ. Speed Queen USE to be pretty good, but they have gone downhill in the last 10 years.

Rick

Flight_740
12-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Pieces of 8 on the lake front. Expensive sea food. about 35-40 a plate. Cozy atmosphere. You want to get laid? Bring the girl there. Your in like flint with that place.

SSDude
12-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Will do. I think we're going to try and make reservations for New Year's Eve...
New years is probably the worse time to rate a restaurant as the service and food are not as good as when they are less busy. Not a fair evaluation of a new place you are trying.

Karps TA
12-18-2006, 05:29 PM
New years is probably the worse time to rate a restaurant as the service and food are not as good as when they are less busy. Not a fair evaluation of a new place you are trying.

'exactly. I would put NYE as being one of the worst nights to go out to eat. The restaurants are just trying to get as many people in and out as quickly as possible. Plus I always think, how would I feel if I was the poor bastard stuck working while everyone else is having a good time.

Prince Valiant
12-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Best Hamburgers- Sobelmans...although a better variety is at the chain "red robin", especially good is the Red Robin Royale (fired egg, letuce, mayo, bacon...mmmmmmn.)

Best Mexican-tie: Botona's, Tres Hermano's, La Fuente.

Best Pizza- Lenanardo's in Mequon (I love new york style pizza)

Best Lasanga- Can't think of the name...right off the hoan bridge/894

Best casual/quasi fast food- Moe's Southwestern Grille.

Best Seafood- Bob Chinn's in wheeling IL

Best Bar food- Buffulo Wild Wings still has it.

Best Cheesecake- Hooter's...can't get enough of it.

Best Grilled Cheese- Hooters again!

Best Late night eat/drunk food- Oaklands, far far far and away

Best Breakfast- George Webb's

Best BBQ- Speed Queen's...being from the south, theirs is more southern' than any other place in the area. Still, none hold a candle to my favorite southern' bbq's (sonny's, bono's, fred's, etc)

PHDcamaro
12-18-2006, 05:53 PM
BJONDA .....in wauwatosa.. www.bjonda.com
Palms Bistro... downtown by the milwaukee market
The Calderone Club
Speed Queen
BBQ Unlimited.... Hopkins and Stark but i guess it burned down
Jo's Cafe... just west of Teutonia on Silver spring... awesome breakfast
Solly's..... love the burgers... even though they will give me a heart attack

Rocket Power
12-18-2006, 05:53 PM
The wife and I like the Filet Mignon's over at the Butler inn in pewaukee. Been going there since it was a tiny little place now it's pretty big and still really good.

http://www.butlerinnofpewaukee.com/

PB86MCSS
12-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Toppers cheesestix.

juicedimpss
12-18-2006, 11:39 PM
The Calderone Club

best italian food in milwaukee IMO
3rd & Kilbourn

plus, larry is a car/bike guy

03Mach1
12-19-2006, 07:22 PM
The wife and I like the Filet Mignon's over at the Butler inn in pewaukee. Been going there since it was a tiny little place now it's pretty big and still really good.

http://www.butlerinnofpewaukee.com/

X2 for the Butler Inn. I like the house filet with the haystack rings. :thumbsup

DirtyMax
12-30-2006, 07:55 AM
So diCarlo's in Oak Creek is just finishing up a renovation that quadrupled the size of the place and we still had an hour wait last night.

Was well worth it though.... :drool:

GRM-REPR
12-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Small ma' and pa' places have the best. Chuck's Place in Thiensville is HANDS down, the best pizza you will ever try, no b.s. For fact, they were just rated best pizza in the milwaukee metro area, (again),and this side of chicago.

John Hawks is good, Rock Bottom, Also agree with Mr. B's, best steak I've ever had! I thought Louises was good. Catarina's is awesome. Sad to say, one of the best burgers is Blue Heron in Big Bend...sorry, its true....

Lotta' nice posts...good thread for a change!