PDA

View Full Version : Home electrical question

Karps TA
12-16-2006, 03:59 PM
I know theres a couple electricians on here that may be able to help me out on a question. Apparently I have an Open Neutral issue.

Last night I was watching tv and suddenly lost power to the room and a couple adjacent rooms. I checked the breaker and it was fine.

This morning I did some more trouble shooting and found traced some wires back to a junction box. Using my test light I was not getting power when touching white and black. However if I touched either of them to the ground the test light would work.

I unplugged everything and shut everything off that was on that circuit and now when you put the test light too it, it lights to white and black like it should. However my socket tested tells me I have an open neutral and the sockets and lights don't work still.

Where do I go from here? Just start replacing sockets and light switches hoping to find a bad one?

thanks

nismodave
12-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Sounds like an open neutral......What does work on the circuit?

Karps TA
12-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Nothing works on the circuit. It's all dead, except for being able to light a test light.

nismodave
12-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Id shut the main breaker, and put the circuit on another breaker, if you dont have a meter that reads voltage........

Get back to me then. I will be on for a while.

nismodave
12-16-2006, 04:11 PM
What brand is the breaker box? Look older?

Karps TA
12-16-2006, 04:27 PM
I have a multimeter for working on the car, Can I use that? 'scuse my ignorance. lol

Karps TA
12-16-2006, 04:27 PM
What brand is the breaker box? Look older?

The breaker box is a Cutlar Hammer. Just installed about a year ago or so, when I had the service upgraded in the house.

nismodave
12-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Sure.....Just try another breaker........They CAN go bad.

But if you know how to use the meter.......Check the voltage on the breaker screw.

nismodave
12-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Check your PMs.

turbogarrett
12-16-2006, 04:36 PM
I have a multimeter for working on the car, Can I use that? 'scuse my ignorance. lol

Sure, if it reads ac. If you have 120v from the black wire to ground and nothing from black to white, there is an open neutral. Time to open some boxes and trace it back.

Karps TA
12-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Well not sure if I'm using the meter right but I was getting like 126 volts, pretty much the same as all of the other ones around it.

nismodave
12-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Unless he has been messing around in boxes....A neutral just going open is not common. I would just make sure hes getting 120 first.

nismodave
12-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Well not sure if I'm using the meter right but I was getting like 126 volts, pretty much the same as all of the other ones around it.

Going to have to open some boxes..Yup. Gimme a call if u need help.