PDA

View Full Version : Cellular Phone service, why do they all suck?

pOrk
12-15-2006, 12:38 PM
I have t-mobile now, and it is easily the WORST when it comes to anything. I NEVER have reception, CONSTANTLY drop calls, and the customer service is just plain pathetic. I had US Cellular, and they always had reception but their nation wide plans have prices that are just through the roof ( last time I checked ).

Who do you guys use and are you happy with the service they provide? Also, if you don't mind posting a ballpark price of what you pay per month and how many minutes you can use + text or whatever other features may be included, that would help. My last day for t-mobile is Dec 24th, and I will NOT stay with them a day longer.

Yooformula
12-15-2006, 12:53 PM
I had sprint but their cust service soooo bad I dumped them.

I went with Verizon and their cust service is AWESOME!! But I have too many dropped calls and their plans seem to high comparably.

I just now switched back to Sprint only because I ran into a sprint dealer that actuallys owns his own store and will soon be the only authorized repair facility soon and the guy is normal and cool to talk sh!t with. I got a family share plan with 1400 min for $59.99 plus $15 for unlimited data service for my palm phone. The closest verizon could come was $59.99 BUT $45 for the EXACT same data service.

LIL EVO
12-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Had sprint for 9 years, no issues. Have unlimited internet (includes hooking up phone to laptop for internet), email, AIM, text messaging, video and picture mail with unlimited upload space for pictures/videos, unlimited nights/weekends, free long distance.

I don't use more than 500 minutes a month in talk time.

With company discount I pay $57/month ($10.84 discount)

500 minutes a month is $40 with unlimited nights and weekends.
I also have the below
Video mail - $5
Roadside rescue - $4
Unlimited upload picture/video pack - $15
Total equipment protection - $6
Unlimited texting - $5

GRAMPS SS
12-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Ive been with CINGULAR.....no dropped calles as of yet....good customer service and have voice mail and text, free long distance all for 39.99 a month, the wife has verizon and has no probs as well, she has long distance free, voice mail and text, but i don't know what her plan is costing her...she gets it through work

pOrk
12-15-2006, 01:06 PM
So sprint seems to be the way to go eh? With t-mobile, I pay 49.99 and get 1500 anytime, free nights + weekends after 9. Its a good price, but I never have service so I cant even use the damn minutes. I use roughly 1000 - 1200 each month

jbiscuit
12-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Sprint here

$55/month includes free incoming, 500 anytime outgoing. Free nights and weekends (7pm). Free texting.

Works good except in my kitchen where it will drop calls the second I get close to my fridge. Also won't work in my basement and every once in awhile shifts to digital roaming in Stallis but then shifts back like 30 seconds later??? Odd. I'm happen with them so far.

I used to have US Cellular and I couldn't stand them. Sh1tty phone selection, sh1tty long distance plans....I couldn't wait to get rid of them.

DirtyMax
12-15-2006, 01:14 PM
I have US Cellular. Very few dropped calls but their phones are always so far behind everyone else's. My contract is up in March and I'm considering Verizon.

I spent 9 years in that industry and them and Verizon have always had the best networks in this area when some outside company would run independent tests.

Verizon pays US Cellular big $ to share alot of towers and US Cellular has the most in the area because they've been around here since 1985 (by other names) and put up a crapload of towers before towns started saying that they didn't want the eyesores anymore.

JC70SS
12-15-2006, 01:40 PM
T-Mobile. Sprint sucks....it is a rip off and their reception sucks in buildings.

73Dustr
12-15-2006, 01:43 PM
I just dropped Sprint. I had them for about three years. They definitely have a great selection of phones, but I was dropping calls left and right. Plus I'd be roaming in my backyard which is suppose to be the local area. I've had all sorts of issues with the customer service too. In my opinion, their customer service is awful.

I just switched over to US Cellular and I think it's ten times better than Sprint. The only downside is they hardly have any phones to choose from. Otherwise I get reception everywhere and haven't dropped a call yet. I know US Cellular is a little more expensive, but compare the coverage zones (if you travel a lot). Just my opinion.

Flight_740
12-15-2006, 01:53 PM
US CELLULAR. I love them. Zero issues for me.

And about the phones, I don't care what I have. As long as it has a phone book I'm good. I don't need all those snooty options.

VroomPshhTsi
12-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Where do you live? I have T-Mobile and have had pretty good reception in Madison and New Berlin. Some places you go (for me it was relative's house in the woods in Delafield) I got crap for reception but besides that I'm pretty happy with T-Mobile (customer service is semi-crappy though).

pOrk
12-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Where do you live? I have T-Mobile and have had pretty good reception in Madison and New Berlin. Some places you go (for me it was relative's house in the woods in Delafield) I got crap for reception but besides that I'm pretty happy with T-Mobile (customer service is semi-crappy though).

I live in West Allis, cant use the phone in my house hardly at all. My phone doesn't work anywhere on 164, moreland, delafield, oconomowoc, and most of the job sites I was on before I was fired. And the customer service is absolutely horrible, takes atleast an hour to get anywhere on their lame phone system and you have to re-explain your problem atleast 5-6 times.

Anakonda69
12-15-2006, 02:08 PM
i have cingular and never have had any problems

VroomPshhTsi
12-15-2006, 02:19 PM
I live in West Allis, cant use the phone in my house hardly at all. My phone doesn't work anywhere on 164, moreland, delafield, oconomowoc, and most of the job sites I was on before I was fired. And the customer service is absolutely horrible, takes atleast an hour to get anywhere on their lame phone system and you have to re-explain your problem atleast 5-6 times.

Damn that sucks, I've had a couple problems using my phone in WA too. Like I said T-Mobile has worked for me so I'm staying with them but from what you've said I don't blame you for switching.

Yeah customer service was annoying when I had to do a simple task (change credit card numbers).

PureSound15
12-15-2006, 02:23 PM
I have had verizon for 7 years and like it, I always have signal and never drop calls. I also like the ability to upgrade my phone after a year (although i have to extend my contract, it's nice to get the newest phone).

It is a bit more expensive though, the customer service is amazing.

wikked
12-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Verizon for years... :thumbsup
I get service inside the 20ft thick asbestos filled walls of the Rave, 'nuff said.
Never had a dropped call, ever.
600mins + 1,000 txts/mo + web access/aim/yahoo/ability to use as a modem for laptop @ DSL speed - $60/mo.

My brother has Sprint and can't even get service inside a house. Just got a new phone too *shrug*

FYI, Verizon & Sprint are the only ones who don't charge for hooking their phones up to laptops & desktops as long as you have internet enabled on the phone (Like $5-10/mo)
Other companies charge 2¢ per KB!!! that's phucking e-rape.
(That would cost you $7.90 to load BlownGTP's sig alone @ 395kb)

To put that in more perspective, one day I had my phone hooked up to my 2nd computer, and was on Yahoo, random surfing, etc... ended up using a little over 1GB of data... that would equal to $20,971 @ 2¢ per kb http://www.wikked.com/icon/nuts.gif

Nix
12-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Had cingular and I kept getting Doubles and triples of text messages that people would send me. Mind you I was getting charged every phucking time I got multiple messages. So I dumped their asses, now Im back with US Cellular and I have had NO issues to speak of. Its been about 2 years and it has been perfect thus far.:headbang

Also with Cingular I would have atleast one dropped call per day and their customer service sucked major butt nuggets. I believe it totally depends on where you are or where you live/use the phone the most. Only becuse you see people with totally different opnions, ask your neighbors and such what they have and see if everything works for them whoever their carrier is. Just a thought.

WilliamZ
12-15-2006, 02:51 PM
I have had Cingular for years and I haven't had many problems. It also depends on what phone you have too.

Feature Pony
12-15-2006, 03:49 PM
I would say US Cellular, really don't have that many dropped calls if any but once in awhile every provider will drop a call.. As for phones they just got a bunch in and now they are testing EVDO which has the tv stuff on it. Verzions cust service sucks big time, I was roaming on Nicholson and college ave and they charged me roaming fees, I called them on it and they said if your phone is in R "Roaming" then you will pay the roaming fees even if its in your home area.. Needless to say I said some choice words and they cancled me, it was pretty sweet!!

johnny--2k
12-15-2006, 04:47 PM
cingular here, no problems aside from dropping my phone in the toilet yesterday. Time for a new one I guess!

Prince Valiant
12-15-2006, 04:53 PM
cingular...500 anytime minutes, free nights and weekends, unused minutes rolled over, rarely do I have a dropped call, I have never been to a place out-of-network, and only 45 bucks a month.

fly5150
12-15-2006, 05:24 PM
cingular here, no problems aside from dropping my phone in the toilet yesterday. Time for a new one I guess!
At least you didn't blow up your toilet. :)

946speedz
12-15-2006, 05:55 PM
us cellular for me, i havent had a single dropped call, i live out in mayville and out of all my friends....sprint, verizon, im the only one that can make calls with my cell here, havent had any problems

penji04
12-15-2006, 06:35 PM
US cellular here, i like it a lot more than cingular and have few droped calls. My plan is 500 anytime nationwide minutes with 250 texts per month for about 48 bucks a month. Cingular never had signal out of SE Wisconsin so what good was a cell phone that wouldnt work?

cingular is :sgay

pOrk
12-15-2006, 06:35 PM
As far as features go, I am looking for something that has reception and possibly some text messaging plan. I don't need internet, music, tv, any of that stuff.

Lots of mixed opinions on here, I cant believe there is only one other person with tmobile and he likes it! I cant stand my tmobile, and i have the razr phone which makes it suck even more!

A B4C Z
12-15-2006, 06:56 PM
Sprint. Love it no problems ever. Get a SANYO phone. They are the best ones. All the other ones suck. No dropped calls. And i get reception in basements.

T-mobile is probly the worst out there. As to why they look liek your geting a killer deal. Its because they have no customers and want you to join.

Get Sprint. Get a sanyo Phone And you wont complain.

Kyle

Rocket Power
12-15-2006, 07:05 PM
I have verizon and haven't dropped a call yet. It's the only service that works inside the metal building I work in. I hated us cellular, I don't know if it was the POS LG phone or their service but I would drop calls with a full signal while talking to a landline. I didn't mind cingular we had them for years before my US Cellular mistake.
I am suprised to hear there are people that like T-mobile, everyone I talked to hates there service, or lack thereof:goof

supra213
12-15-2006, 07:09 PM
I had US Cellular before and hated it. Every winter my phone would mysteriously stop displaying the caller id and kept getting missed calls despite me having my phone sitting in front of me with full reception.

I have t-mobile now and love it. No roaming, nationwide coverage, and rarely have dropped calls. Better selection of phones too.

pOrk
12-15-2006, 07:42 PM
I had US Cellular before and hated it. Every winter my phone would mysteriously stop displaying the caller id and kept getting missed calls despite me having my phone sitting in front of me with full reception.

I have t-mobile now and love it. No roaming, nationwide coverage, and rarely have dropped calls. Better selection of phones too.

:stare :stare :stare :stare

What phone do you have? People liking t-mobile, this is craziness!

supra213
12-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Nokia 8801.

88Nightmare
12-15-2006, 09:26 PM
I like my verizon.

TURTLE
12-15-2006, 10:09 PM
i like nextel...

$54.99 a month for:

1000 anytime minutes
unlimited direct connect
unlimited nights and weekends(after 9pm)

plus a $4/month web service...(weather, traffic, sports, downloads)
$.10 per text(i don't text.... at all)

plus i get a discount.. so my bill every month is $53.09...

i really don't have too many issues with 'em... other than you have to buy the phones outright... so my i580 was $225 after renewing my contract and trading in my old phone(i730 - new for $125)...

supra213
12-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Are you ready for me to blow your mind.... I have had great customer service from t-mobile as well.

88Nightmare
12-15-2006, 10:53 PM
my buddy likes his nextel just for the direct connect. dont ever try to call him though, he has so many problems wiht trying to use his nextel for direct calls.

BadAzzGTA89
12-15-2006, 11:42 PM
Nokia 8801.
Me too.
But my work phone is Verison motorolla is crap next time i go down hwy 45 in IL i am gonna drop it on there grass!

Holeshot
12-16-2006, 11:03 AM
I have had U.S. Sprint and Verizon. Of all three I would have to say Verizon FTW
Yeah I do think the right phone is also key when it comes to reception issues. Been with Verizon 6 years now and just did the new every two again. I now have the LG VX8300 and its a great phone with serious options. MP3s. camera, shoots vids internal memory is small but I have a 1 gig scan disk trans flach card with 800 +songs on it and a lot of space for pics and vids. The reception on this phone is the best I have seen. I originally got a razor and after a month I swapped it for the 8300. The thing with Verizon is to make sure you dial *228 once a month to update your roaming capabilities.

supra213
12-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Me too.
But my work phone is Verison motorolla is crap next time i go down hwy 45 in IL i am gonna drop it on there grass!

Have you used the dedicated customer support line yet for the nokia? I haven't, but thought that was a cool feature (a special customer service line just for 8801 owners).

Arigmaster
12-16-2006, 10:40 PM
I work with all those carriers doing site builds and upgrades. US Cellular & Verizon have the most complete networks right now. Some of the problems that some of you may be having (older phones) may be due to the migration all of the wireless companies are in the process of. TDMA equipment is going away completely and CDMA is taking it's place. World wide only CDMA & GSM will be all that's left by 2008.

CDMA is also being upgraded to F-4/Mod-4 depending on who you talk to. As for calls dropping, there are many casues or contributing factors. None of the carriers are immune to them at this stage but they are all working on it.

A majority of the wireless companies use Lucent or Nortel equipment for their network. only a handful are using Ericsson, Motorolla, and Seimens.

I use US Cellular and don't have any problems at all. Then again, I know who to call if there is coverage problems somewhere.

johnny--2k
12-19-2006, 09:24 AM
TMobile is not as bad as they used to be coverage wise. I know a few people that work for Tmobile, and their coverage is expanding.

Verizon has crap service in a lot of places that I go to so they were out for me. My cousin in Denver has verizon, lives in the Mountains, cant get service until she is about 5 or 6 minutes from the house on the freeway. My cingular phone and my aunt and uncles cingular phones have no problems with service in the house. It sometimes gets spotty, but it's better than nothing.

scaleracer
05-26-2007, 01:17 PM
anyone have any new info on cell phones. i live by the airport in milw. it looks like u.s. cellular is the best. any sugestions. i dont need text or anything else, just a basic phone package. and where is a good place to sign up for one. thanks

300pny
05-26-2007, 01:20 PM
As Joe Peshi says "They Fvkk ya with the cell phones"

GRAMPS SS
05-26-2007, 04:58 PM
i just went from cingular ..the new lets **** you att&t to Verizon....i have the v325i..and have had less problems and i get more bang for my buck....i'm in sales now and am on the phone all the time in the car...no matter where i go in this great city..i have great reception....my wife just called me from her Verizion from indy...and clear as a bell....i'd go with Verizion...but thats just my OPINION................