PDA

View Full Version : So I made the jump to dSLR

Goat Roper
12-13-2006, 09:18 PM
I finally pulled the trigger on a dSLR, a Rebel EOS 6.3mp. I had been eyeing the 8mp Rebel XTi but from reading reviews and seeing side by side pics I just couldn't justify making the jump. This particular one also came with and extra battery and the NICE battery grip, not the cheapy that you throw AA batteries into and a lens hood.

So, I will let the newb questions fly.

Optics, best way to keep dust out?

Camera bag, it comes with the factory 18-55mm lens but I can see myself getting another one, probably a Canon 70-200mm, what is a good camera bag to keep all this in?

RAW files, best editing software (besides Photoshop)

And for current Rebel owners, anything that comes to mind that you learned about your camera that you thought "Geez, I wish I knew that earlier!"

Thanks in advance.

Cryptic
12-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Just the Rebel and not the Rebel XT ???

There is a XT and a XTi...

1quickgtp
12-13-2006, 11:06 PM
theres the rebel, rebel XT, and rebel XTi, which one did you get?

rebel is 6mp, or is it 6.3?
XT is 8
XTi is 10.1

so im GUESSING he got the regular rebel?

1quickgtp
12-13-2006, 11:09 PM
as for the camera, read, and practice. thats all I can say

I personally have a XT and love it. I also have an IS lens an couldnt live without it....but thats my PERSONAL opinion!

Goat Roper
12-14-2006, 06:33 AM
Just the Rebel and not the Rebel XT ???

There is a XT and a XTi...

It is a used model, not new...should have mentioned that. I didn't want to drop large coin on my first camera until I get used to the SLRs.

It was purchased new in 2004: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=9430

Cryptic
12-14-2006, 06:10 PM
there's a big difference to the XT if you should ever deside to take that step.
Boot up time is near instant...
And the next generation DIGIC II processsor

GRAMPS SS
12-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Don't Worry About The Dust...get A Can Of Duster...i Get Mine From Target In The Computer Stuff Section....spray The Lens Off And Your Done....you Can Also Get A Small Lens Brush, Brush The Lens Lightly Then Air The Lens Off Too....works Great On My Lenes, And They Cost 1200.00 And Up...so If I Us It On Them You Can Surely Use It On What You Have.....

1quickgtp
12-14-2006, 08:10 PM
I wouldnt advice canned air for many reasons that I dont want ot get into.

what you SHOULD get for dust is that lil ball looking thing that people use to suck boogers out of babies noses ( looks like a rain drop? ) I use that. and many pros do too.

an an eye glass cleaner for stuff that is STUCK on the lens ( comes with spray and SUPER soft non scratching cloth )

wikked
12-15-2006, 09:07 AM

what you SHOULD get for dust is that lil ball looking thing that people use to suck boogers out of babies noses ( looks like a rain drop? ) I use that. and many pros do too.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000002N2Z.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
:) always wondered why they picked that for an album cover...

GRAMPS SS
12-15-2006, 09:21 AM

an an eye glass cleaner for stuff that is STUCK on the lens ( comes with spray and SUPER soft non scratching cloth )

i'm sorry for giving out bad advice about the canned air...only been using it since it came on the market, and have not had any problems with it myself....but i've only been shooting professionally since 1982, so i might be wrong...............:thumbsup

PureSound15
12-15-2006, 12:06 PM
i'm sorry for giving out bad advice about the canned air...only been using it since it came on the market, and have not had any problems with it myself....but i've only been shooting professionally since 1982, so i might be wrong...............:thumbsup

Smells like sarcasm Wayne :rolf

GRAMPS SS
12-15-2006, 12:25 PM
no....not a bit.......i just tried to put my opinion in , and was called on it thats all............

jbiscuit
12-15-2006, 12:47 PM
just use an SOS pad and a leaf blower to get dust out of your lens/camera...that works best

jamest
12-15-2006, 05:15 PM
I finally pulled the trigger on a dSLR, a Rebel EOS 6.3mp. I had been eyeing the 8mp Rebel XTi but from reading reviews and seeing side by side pics I just couldn't justify making the jump. This particular one also came with and extra battery and the NICE battery grip, not the cheapy that you throw AA batteries into and a lens hood.

So, I will let the newb questions fly.

Optics, best way to keep dust out?

Camera bag, it comes with the factory 18-55mm lens but I can see myself getting another one, probably a Canon 70-200mm, what is a good camera bag to keep all this in?

RAW files, best editing software (besides Photoshop)

And for current Rebel owners, anything that comes to mind that you learned about your camera that you thought "Geez, I wish I knew that earlier!"

Thanks in advance.

Keeping dust out- Purchase a lens cleaning kit from a camera store or an online camera retailer. This is an example:
http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?ac.ui.pn=search.Search&query=lens%20cleaning

Regarding canned air it can be a dangerous thing to use depending upon if you are a season pro. The liquid inside of the can may spray out onto the optics or other sensitive surfaces and damaging them. DO NOT USE canned air to clean the chip. A blow brush would be the safest way to use air to remove dust particules.

Tamrac makes great soft cases. If you are wanting a hard plastic case Pelican. Before purchasing a lens make sure to read up on focal length multiplier.

If you want a RAW editing software go with Capture One. They make two versions. Capture One PRO and Capture One LE. Check to make sure your camera is supported before purchasing. You can download a free 30 day trial at http://www.phaseone.com/

Best tip:Step 1 Read the instruction manual cover to cover
Step 2. Get a basic photography book from the library. Learn what a f.stop is and what is shutter speed. Know how they interact and provide you with results you are looking for.
Step 3. Shoot shoot shoot. You won't get better taking photos unless you practice. Cliche yes but it is sooooooo true.

Good Luck!

jamest
12-15-2006, 05:16 PM
just use an SOS pad and a leaf blower to get dust out of your lens/camera...that works best

I use a sand blaster and 100 grit sandpaper.

jamest
12-15-2006, 05:19 PM

Is that the year they invented the camera obscura?;)

GRAMPS SS
12-15-2006, 07:17 PM
not like he is going to blast the hell out of the lens with the can...i just use short bursts.......but the kit that jamest has a link to, will work just fine...thanks jamest for the link......

GRAMPS SS
12-15-2006, 07:28 PM
jamest....thanks for the link, was looking to buy another 503CW body and there prices are fairly reasonable......since we have nowhere near here to buy it...been getting my suff in Indy....i heard a rumor that REIMERS has a store in the falls, have you heard anything to the fact or not.......

GRAMPS SS
12-15-2006, 07:29 PM
:thumbsup jamest....thanks for the link, was looking to buy another 503CW body and there prices are fairly reasonable......since we have nowhere near here to buy it...been getting my suff in Indy....i heard a rumor that REIMERS has a store in the falls, have you heard anything to the fact or not.......

jamest
12-17-2006, 09:03 PM
:thumbsup jamest....thanks for the link, was looking to buy another 503CW body and there prices are fairly reasonable......since we have nowhere near here to buy it...been getting my suff in Indy....i heard a rumor that REIMERS has a store in the falls, have you heard anything to the fact or not.......

I haven't heard that. I know when his business went belly up he opened up an imaging company shortly after. If it is true let me know. I would be interested in taking a look at the store.