PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get a passport lately?

DirtyMax
12-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Does it really take 6 weeks like the federal website says?

Thanks!

Teufelhunden
12-11-2006, 02:39 PM
I heard the fee is going way up. ~$400?

DirtyMax
12-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Right now it's still $97 for a first time applicant according to their website. But if you need it in less than 6 weeks, they recommend having it expedited for an additional $60 plus overnight postage fees.

See, my company is giving away a trip to Mexico for anyone who beats their sales quota for the year. The trip is the first week in Feb. Unfortunately, it's going to be so close on wheater or not I win or not that it's going to come down to the wire and I probably won't know til January 1st.

They sent out an email this morning and I was one of the 4 that was in but there's still 3 weeks to go in the year. Great, like I needed that pressure during the holidays.. :goof

I might just go apply and get one anyways tomorrow. Provided they are good for a couple of years, we're going on our homeymoon in about 18 months anyways...

BAD LS1
12-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Yeah it took about 7-8 weeks to get mine and my birth certificate back.

A guy i work with got one, and his name is close to some person the government keeps any eye on for terrorist shit and now he can no longer get a boarding pass at a quiosk (spelling?) or on line and has to get it from the counter only. Where they put a special stamp on the pass which now requires him to get the full search in the line lol.

Luckily i didnt have that issue when i got mine.

GRAMPS SS
12-11-2006, 03:06 PM
you need a passport for mexico...no way...jump the fence like they do....sorry for that..it just came out....but i went to mexico in the 80's and didn't need one are you sure you need one...

Slow Joe
12-11-2006, 03:07 PM
I know they're changing it, you're going to need a passport to go to mexico and canada...

BAD LS1
12-11-2006, 03:07 PM
yeah you need one for mex, that and canookia (canada) to follow suit as well.

DirtyMax
12-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the insight. I guess I'll just pay the extra money and if I don't win, I'll be pist off.

They just published the date of the trip for the first time today so this is in no way my fault. Then when I brought to their attention that it takes so long to get a passport, they were like... "Oh... really? Guess we never thought of that". :chair:

P.S. The new law goes into effect January 23rd, 2007

fireguyrick
12-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Can't you just go down to Chicago and get it in one day? My wife did that back in 2002. She just brought everything down, after making an appointment, and she had it by 3pm same day.

Rick

Oh yeah, Passports are good for 10 years.

DirtyMax
12-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Can't you just go down to Chicago and get it in one day? My wife did that back in 2002. She just brought everything down, after making an appointment, and she had it by 3pm same day.

They changed their rules on that sh!t too. You have to provide proof that you are traveling in the next 14 days in order to get an appt. there anymore. :rolleyes:

Teufelhunden
12-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Nothing mentioned about the fees going up 4eyed?

DirtyMax
12-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Nothing mentioned about the fees going up 4eyed?

Not yet. I think I'm going to apply tomorrow so I don't get screwed by that change too...

Flicktitty
12-11-2006, 09:26 PM
GOOGLE passports, i know when i was looking for one i needed it cheap, there were a few companies that did it withen a week i believe.

twicks69
12-12-2006, 05:36 AM
I paid the $60 + $67 fast turn around. I just got my passport back (renewal), and it took around 3 weeks.

I would reccomend taking your passport for ANY flight out of the continental U.S. The restrictions now are getting ridiculous.