PDA

View Full Version : Blizzak question

Flight_740
12-06-2006, 05:22 PM
I just put a used set of them on the Q. I was so excited to try them so I went and stopped on some packed snow. They don't seem much better than my all seasons. Now they are used but they have plenty of life on them.

My question is, do they work better on fresh snow?

Slow Joe
12-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Uhhh nothing is going to help you that much with stopping in my opinion. But going the Blizzaks are gunna be alot better than any all season radial out there...

Flight_740
12-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Let me rephrase that. I stopped just to see how well it took off.

Prince Valiant
12-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Snow tires increase the adhesion in snow, slush, and even ice...but most drastically in snow or slush, and the deeper, the better.

Case in point: Yoosef and I raced his durango vs my GC (now his) and I had snow tires. In shallow snow, that while light, was completely covered, his durango and my snow tire equipped jeep traded wins and losses...his superior weight made a drastic difference. But once we put it in deep stuff, the jeep would murder him (see last years snow drags I and II for proof of this)

Another thing is that there are two different types of "Friction", IE, traction. One is called "Dynamic Force of friction" and the other is "static force of friction".

Dynamic and static refer to what is happening between the two surfaces at which you are measuring the friction coefficient (IE rubber/asphalt, or in this case rubber/snow-ice)

In dynamic, this means that the rubber is sliding relative to the fixed surface, IE the snow...this is what happens when your tires are spinning, or you are sliding, etc...all cases in which you loose traction.

In static, the rubber and snow aren't moving relative to each other. This is what happens when you are normal acceleration with no spin, braking with no locking, etc....all cases where you preserve traction.

In the case of snow tires, the coefficient of dynamic and static friction are higher than non-snow tires. BUT, the difference in dynamic coefficient b/w snow and all-season is small....whereas the difference in static b/w snow and all-season is HUGE.

The short explanation is this: You will find that snow tires will give you far greater traction in snow, up until the point you spin your tires...then you won't be much better off, until you regain traction again. Same with braking, you'll brake quicker with snow tires, until you lock up...at which point, again, there isn't much difference.

juicedimpss
12-06-2006, 05:40 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^
thanks
:rolleyes:

Prince Valiant
12-06-2006, 05:42 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^
thanks
:rolleyes:Why, you're so welcome :rolleyes:

animal
12-06-2006, 05:49 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^
thanks
:rolleyes:

Not sure why the eyes rolling, I thought it was a pretty good explanation :confused

juicedimpss
12-06-2006, 05:59 PM
im trying to find the answer to the original question in that reply...........

RanJer
12-06-2006, 06:06 PM
My question is, do they work better on fresh snow?

Snow tires increase the adhesion in snow, slush, and even ice...but most drastically in snow or slush, and the deeper, the better.

im trying to find the answer to the original question in that reply...........

Doesn't he kind've cover it? fresh snow would typically be the deeper stuff.. "old" snow would be packed down and icy. I thought he gave an alright answer...:confused

juicedimpss
12-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Doesn't he kind've cover it? fresh snow would typically be the deeper stuff.. "old" snow would be packed down and icy. I thought he gave an alright answer...:confused

i wa thinking he wanted a reference more gear towards BLIZZAKS,not just "snow tires" in general.

example..
When i had BLIZZAKS on my car,they worked well in the snow,but sucked ass in the rain(true statement).
snow tires are not all created equal,some work better than others and this thread was directed toward BLIZZAKS.
just my .02
im out

Prince Valiant
12-06-2006, 06:38 PM
i wa thinking he wanted a reference more gear towards BLIZZAKS,not just "snow tires" in general.

example..
When i had BLIZZAKS on my car,they worked well in the snow,but sucked ass in the rain(true statement).
snow tires are not all created equal,some work better than others and this thread was directed toward BLIZZAKS.
just my .02
im out[typing slow]THEN- - BLIZZAKS- -DO- -WORK- -BETTER- -IN- - THE- -SNOW,- -SLUSH,- -AND- -ICE- -WHEN- -COMPARED- -TO- -ALL---SEASON- -TIRES. - - -EVEN- -IF- -SOMEWHAT- -WORN. [/typing slow]

^^So ron could understand.

Blizzaks DO use tons of "sipping" that both smaller and more numerous than other snow tires and is what makes them the "premium snow tire"...those have probably worn through already, and now the only advantage you have is a slightly better tread design, and rubber that works better in colder weather when compared to other snow tires.

fireguyrick
12-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Which Blizzaks? I have noticed differences between models.

Rick