PDA

View Full Version : Badgers get crap bowl game

Neal Steffek
12-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Is it just me or would you rather see the Badgers play someone else? I now have a lot less interest in the game. :(

Karps TA
12-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Why Arkansas is a pretty good team? Rather them then say rematch with Auburn.

Arkansas lost to only 3 teams this year, all of which are top 10 teams. WI could very well get killed in that game. It's not like we played anyone but MI this year. Especially with dipshit Ikewgono getting suspended.

theavenger333
12-03-2006, 11:23 PM
stupid system. the BCS title SHOULD be michigan and Ohio State. yes, it would be a rematch, but it was a close, good game. Florida doesn't deserve to go. Wisconsin lost one game, 2nd best record in the Nation, they should in turn go to the Rose. of course it would never have happened

VroomPshhTsi
12-03-2006, 11:48 PM
It's too hard to please everyone with the current system. Badgers are ranked 6 in the end of the year polls which is higher than anyone expected. Yes I wanted a rematch between OSU and Michigan but if you look at strength of schedule, Florida has just as much of a right to be in the title game too (a playoff game between Florida and Michigan would've made me happy). I didn't like how Urban Meyer talked up why his team deserved to go to the title game, a loss of class (Lloyd Carr did the right thing) I think. In a way it's the system's fault but it is also each college's fault if they don't get the respect they want because of strength of schedule, non-conference games are scheduled each year and if you want your team to play tougher opponents it is definitely possible (I think the Badgers are talking with Virginia Tech for a non-conference opponent sometime in the next couple of years).

As far as the Badgers, I'm split. They over-achieved which is great but honestly, if they played USC in the Rose Bowl I don't see us staying within 3 scores of that team (as much as I hate them). 11-1 is impressive but we have only played one real team in Michigan and they beat us. However next year should be a good one as we return almost everyone (including a QB with a few games under his belt and we have seen he isn't so bad).

VroomPshhTsi
12-03-2006, 11:51 PM
And as far as no interest in our bowl game, are you kidding me? Arkansas is a damn impressive team that happened to slip-up against tough opponents at the end. Darren McFadden is amazing and will give the Badgers plenty of problems. Even with the speed advantage heavily favoring the SEC Razorbacks, it all depends on which Badger team shows up. The one similar to the one that beat Auburn last year, or the one that gets flustered and crumbles under the pressure (see our loss to Georgia in the bowl game a few years ago).

Karps TA
12-04-2006, 06:28 AM
Put me down for happy it ain't Michigan in the title game. They had their chance, and blew it. I don't believe that a team that didn't even win their conference should be playing for a national title. Not too mention the Big Ten sucked this year.

flackjacket
12-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Not too mention the Big Ten sucked this year.

What would you consider good? LOL. 4 teams in the top 6? Big Ten owns

Karps TA
12-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Ohio St, MI, and WI were the only good teams in the Big 10. Everyone else stunk. Just look at their conference rankings. More then half the conference didn't even have a winning record.

Ohio State 8-0
Wisconsin 7-1
Michigan 7-1
Penn State 5-3
Purdue 5-3
Minnesota 3-5
Indiana 3-5
Iowa 2-6
Northwestern 2-6
Michigan State 1-7
Illinois 1-7

347GT
12-04-2006, 10:49 AM
7 of those teams are going to a bowl game, how is that bad?? Penn St. went 8-4, how is that bad? 8-5 Purdue, bad?? Big Ten gets no respect, all you hear about is SEC this SEC that.

Karps TA
12-04-2006, 11:01 AM
You're bowl elligible at 6 wins. And there are so many bowls now that half of the Div 1 schools go to bowl games. Theres like 31 bowl games

The Big Ten schools mostly played nobody in non conference play. Look at the teams WI played? Buffalo? San Diego St? Western IL? Come on now.

Even the Badgers changed their schedule to make it weaker this year for their new head coach. They were suppossed to play I think West Virginia the first game but asked to move it to a later year.

Don't get me wrong I'm a huge Big Ten fan and Badgers fan. But this year the conference was not any good. It's just the facts.

Crawlin
12-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Hey I don't mind too much. It should be a good game and one that will prove whether the badgers can play along side the bigger teams that are up there in rankings.

Although I'm pretty happy with my team(Penn State). Have to like 'em since pops went there. Anyways, being 8-4 ain't too bad. Their 4 losses are against who? Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, and Wisconsin. Shows they aren't national title contenders, but definitely proves they didn't have a weak schedule. And out of those games, only the Michigan game was at home and they only went out by a touchdown.

I will say a playoff scenario for the top 16 teams would be better. It's amazing how different certain teams drop in rankings when playing/losing to similar opponents

VroomPshhTsi
12-04-2006, 12:08 PM
You're bowl elligible at 6 wins. And there are so many bowls now that half of the Div 1 schools go to bowl games. Theres like 31 bowl games

Actually there are 119 Division 1-A teams and if there are 32 bowl games (26.9% of teams go to a bowl game) :goof

Alvarez did make it an easy schedule for Bielema for his first year but he did beat everyone he was suppose to (not the easiest task in college football). Over the next 5 years we get a little tougher non conference opponents but it's still a weak schedule (Washington State, UNLV, The Citadel, Fresno State, Marshall, Akron, Central Florida, Arizona State, Oregon State) and there are still a couple open spots on the schedule for a tougher non-conference opponent.

Good news is that we play both Michigan and Ohio State every year for the next four years so our strength of schedule increases dramatically.

As far as Big Ten vs. SEC we get to see if the Big Ten can take down the top two SEC teams and #1 in the Pac Ten. It's going to be hard and yes, the SEC is the strongest conference right now but if the Big Ten takes down Florida and Arkansas it'll gain a ton of respect.

Karps TA
12-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Actually there are 119 Division 1-A teams and if there are 32 bowl games (26.9% of teams go to a bowl game) :goof

Wanna redo that math? or does just 1 team play in the bowl game now. 119 teams and 64 go to bowl games.

Nix
12-04-2006, 12:55 PM
Badgers had a cake schedule this season:thumbsup

VroomPshhTsi
12-04-2006, 01:05 PM
Wanna redo that math? or does just 1 team play in the bowl game now. 119 teams and 64 go to bowl games.

God I'm stupid

Karps TA
12-04-2006, 01:09 PM
:rolf :thumbsup

VroomPshhTsi
12-04-2006, 01:44 PM
yeah that's what i get for posting right before leaving for class... brain fart lol

PB86MCSS
12-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Wisconsin agreed to the Capitol One bowl quite awhile ago, me thinks.

The Big 10 is decent but the SEC is clearly better at the moment, IMO. Just look at the teams top to bottom…sure Ohio State is the best team and Michigan *might* be #2, but Wisconsin is ranked much higher than it probably should be due to a soft schedule and after that….theres a few ok teams. Usually it seems the SEC wins more than half the bowl games overall vs the Big 10, but if Florida loses to Ohio State, I don’t want to hear people talk about how much the Big 10 must be better…its like saying the National League is a better league than the American League in MLB because the Cardinal’s won the World Series :rolleyes:.

As a big Gator football fan, this weekend was great :D. It’s a toss up of Florida vs. Michigan, both deserve it but Florida had a much tougher schedule, end of story IMO. The statement Carr did the *right thing* and Meyer whined is complete BS. Meyer did what he should, try to get his team into the championship game. If I was a Michigan fan I’d be pissed Carr didn’t pump up his team at least a little bit, not that he took some sort of preverbial high road or non-sense. Even so, I’m not sure the media and coaches just listened to Meyer and decided to have Florida play based on that, heh. Meyer said nothing negative about Michigan except they had their chance at OSU and lost, which is obviously true. Also the comments of people wondering how could Michigan get passed up by Florida if they didn’t even play….well duh, Florida won 2 tough games in the last 2 weeks, at FSU which is a huge rivalry even though FSU is having a down year and the SEC title game vs, at the time, #8 Arkansas….its rewarding Florida for winning two tougher games, not punishing Michigan for not playing. Shouldn’t beating a very good team give you a boost if the other team doesn’t even play, or if they even did play a lesser team and win?

The best system is a Playoff but the BCS didn’t fail, the people who decide to have a BCS fail, almost every year. OSU is clearly #1 while #2 is a toss up of Michigan or Florida….either way one team is getting the shaft, its been that way almost every year.

The Championship game should be a good one going either way, the Wisconsin game will be good too. A real test to see how good Wisconsin is this year considering they really only had one tough game, at Michigan and a ton of cupcakes.