PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about in floor heat?

DoubleAron
12-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Looking into maybe doing this for our new garage.

Heard different things as to what you need and dont need. Just looking for some input. Costs, etc.

Thanks.

Feature Pony
12-02-2006, 01:02 PM
My buddy has it, he loves it.. The only problem is he has a hot water heater in his garage which keeps the floors warm in winter and the garage nice and warm but it could get dangerous when trying to spray paint things..

juicedimpss
12-02-2006, 01:07 PM
i have it and its great,except if you open the big door.it would be good to have a quick recovery heater as a supplement.

Lash
12-02-2006, 02:20 PM
I honestly think a unit heater or a furnace would be better. Plus you can have A/C in the summer with the furnace. In floor takes some time to heat up because it has to heat the concrete first...so it's not instant like forced air heat...and the in floor basically runs non stop (because it has to keep circulating).

Otherwise you shouldn't need more than a small boiler (like a munchkin), pex tubing, Styrofoam board (pex tubing is layed on top), and a pump. The system will probably have to be filled with glycol since it's outdoors...otherwise it may freeze if it ever shuts off for some reason.
Not sure on how much they really run in price though.

awsomeears
12-02-2006, 03:09 PM
I honestly think a unit heater or a furnace would be better. Plus you can have A/C in the summer with the furnace. In floor takes some time to heat up because it has to heat the concrete first...so it's not instant like forced air heat...and the in floor basically runs non stop (because it has to keep circulating).

Otherwise you shouldn't need more than a small boiler (like a munchkin), pex tubing, Styrofoam board (pex tubing is layed on top), and a pump. The system will probably have to be filled with glycol since it's outdoors...otherwise it may freeze if it ever shuts off for some reason.
Not sure on how much they really run in price though.

^ yep yep and yep ^

Only plus for infloor heating is that when you lay on the floor to work on shit its nice and warm :thumbsup

deciuss
12-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Its great until it breaks, my soon to be in-laws have that in there house until they shut it off. They moved into a house that has it about 2 years ago. After about a month of living there they got a call from the water department for something like a $2000 water bill. long story short they traced it back to the in floor heating and a broken pipe and its a ridicules cost to have it fixed due to they don’t know where the break is and they would have to destroy the whole floor so they just turned the whole system off.

chargedformula
12-02-2006, 10:50 PM
did they end up having to pay that ridiculous bill?

awsomeears
12-03-2006, 03:07 AM
Thats another thing, if the Pex tubing should break your totally ****e D. Meaning you have to bust up the concrete.

Forced air all the way, plus you can add air if your that fancy for your garage :-)

HRSEPLA
12-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Remeber Kevin Esser with the T-trim Lightning, we put 'in floor' in his garage, It is awesome if you leave it on all the time, you get a really nice even heat throughout, but for intermittent use, trying to ramp up the heat for just a days work here and there, it takes a long time to get up to temp. I would go forced air or convection tube heaters for direct heat. Plus, once that cars done this winter you can throw them wrenches away!

deciuss
12-03-2006, 10:26 AM
did they end up having to pay that ridiculous bill?

For the water bill? No there city and later found out that the city that im at now also has it due to a separate issue has something called a leak credit (at Evansville its called something different though), it’s a one time thing where they drastically lower the bill due to a leak that was not known about. The difference is that Evansville called them before there bill got there and they caught it very early for me I got a 900 dollar water bill and spent 3 days on the phone talking to probably 5 different people at the water department trying to explain to them that that the bill is not normal (even though they said that its normal for a home to pay that much, bs) and to find out what I could do about it.

DoubleAron
12-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. Thanks for the PMs also.

What do you guys think it would cost for a forced/convection type set-up for
700-800 sq.ft. garage?

Yeah putting wrenches away.:rolleyes: stupid power adder cars:D , didn't even make it off the dyno without a blown headgasket.

Cryptic
12-03-2006, 11:09 AM
unless you plan on keep it on all the time, forget about it. Takes forever to heat up. I have copper pipes running through the spancrete and the pipe are no good anymore.

copper and conrete dont mix, concrete eats up the copper. Stick with forced air so you can have in warm in a matter of a few mins...