PDA

View Full Version : Car acting up.

Scales
11-22-2006, 04:06 PM
So I've only noticed the problem when the car sits overnight or for a longer period of time. I get in, turn the key, and nothing. I hear the fuel pump and the lights come on, but no cranking or clicking or anything. I try it 5 or 6 times and finally it starts. Also noticed that the wiper control acts up. If I trun them on and off right away, they will go up about 6" and just stop. Unless I turn them back on, that's where they stay. Or sometimes, they will stay on for a minute or so after I turn them off. Now last night, I get in the car, turn the key, and it does about a half a crank and stops. 4 or 5 more "Wrrr" half cranks, and it finally starts. I'm guessing battery now, but I thought it might be something related. I don't know if it was just a coincenense (sp) but when it wouldn't start, I'd jiggle the column shifter and it would fire up. So does that sound like a loose wire(s) somewhere in the column, or just a bad battery and unrelated problems? Oh yeah, the car is a 1996 Chrysler Concorde Lx. Any ideas???

Prince Valiant
11-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Likely battery...the jiggle the column shifter thing is likely coincidence.

Scales
11-22-2006, 04:14 PM
That's what I'm hoping since it's an easy fix. ;)

Well I'm off to get it tested so we'll see...

Thanx

hrsp
11-22-2006, 05:30 PM
is this on the 91 z28? i had a similar problem with my 89 iroc and it ended up being the VATS system in the car...

Scales
11-22-2006, 05:56 PM
No, it's on my 96 Chrysler, and it ended up being the battery. I'm sure the wipers is something different but at least my car starts now! :thumbsup

Scales
11-23-2006, 12:37 AM
D'oh! Not the battery... Got in my car after it sat for a couple hours at BW3's tonight, and the first turn of the key gave me nothing. Started right up on the second turn, but it's gotta be something else... Starter maybe??

u_say_go
11-23-2006, 09:48 AM
I'm having the same issue with the van Mike. Turn the key and nothing, it will do this 3-5 times then fire up. Sometimes to starter doesnt disengaged and keeps running with the engine...a few whacks from a hammer and the starter stops running. It's a cheap and easy fix but I'm too lazy to fix it.
Could you possibly have a bad ignition switch? Starter solenoid? I think the wipers acting up is just a coincidence, but ya never know...Does the starter look like it's a pain to remove?

Scales
11-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Never looked at how bad the starter is to get to, but I heard it's a pain on those cars. I think maybe the solenoid, but I dunno. Might break down and have it looked at this weekend. The ol' ghetto garage just doesn't seem fun for this one!!

Reverend Cooper
11-23-2006, 09:53 PM
my guess is you have a bad starter. then also for the wiper the park function in the motor has failed. my best cpu guess is replace the starter and replace the wiper motor. just a guess

Prince Valiant
11-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Try seeing if any codes come out...you can scan codes on the chrysler by the check engine light. Every flash is counting a number, 4 flashes, pause 4 flashes is code 44. code 55 is "finished".

To get it to spill codes, turn key to on position, 1 second, off 1 second, on 1, off 1, on 1, off 1 and then to "on". If it flashes 55 first, there are no stored codes.

BadAzzGTA89
11-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Does it have tilt steering?
Next time tilt the colum whith the key ingaged and see if that works maybe a faulty ignition switch!

Scales
11-25-2006, 10:20 PM
Yeah, it does have tilt. I'll try that tomorrow before work.

As for the codes, I'll have to check that tomorrow or Monday as well.

Thanks for the tips guys.