PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Dog Owners

Silver350
11-15-2006, 09:20 AM
I am considering adopting a Dog. The dog is a Lab / Hound Mix. The dog is 7 months old. I was wonding if anyone on here has a lab and could tell me how good are they for being by them selves when they are puppies.

jbiscuit
11-15-2006, 09:24 AM
puppy + left alone = CHAOS!

Flight_740
11-15-2006, 09:31 AM
Labs are the most gentle dogs out there period. I have had 3 now. They are great with people and kids.

Now being a puppy, thats a different story. All puppys are the same imo. They like to chew. Labs are like this too. All of my labs as puppys have chewed crap up like crazy. You may want to invest in a kennel when for when you are not home.

fireguyrick
11-15-2006, 09:40 AM
From my experience with labs they are "puppies" till they are about 2 years old. But, yeah, a puppy is going to chew stuff up. You need to keep them in a kennel when unsupervised till they are trained, and I do not mean sit, stay, come, and down. I still do not trust my 10 mo. Great Dane pup, and he has had 8 months of professional dog training with the wife and I.

There are some dogs worse then others. The big thing to watch for is how the dog is with seperation anxiety. We had a Weimeraner that had EXTREME seperation anxiety. To the point where he destroyed 4 cages, grinding down some teeth in the process, and pretty much wrecked everything in sight. Now, Weimes are prone to seperation anxiety, and Labs are not, but the hound I am unsure of.

Rick

VroomPshhTsi
11-15-2006, 09:44 AM
From my experience with labs they are "puppies" till they are about 2 years old. But, yeah, a puppy is going to chew stuff up. You need to keep them in a kennel when unsupervised till they are trained
Rick

I learned this the hard way :goof

Silver350
11-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Well never mind. The dog that I was looking at the Humane society says he is a barker because of the hound in him so I dont think he will not go over to well in my appartment. He seems like a cool dog.

http://www.wihumane.org/animals/animal.aspx?id=1501017

He came from Kentucky, and reason why the owner gave him up is because it was a older person that medical conditions that made it hard for him to continue caring for him. They also said that he was not in a kenel at all seeing the owner was around and right now it is kind of difficult for them to put him in the pen at the humane society.

Flight_740
11-15-2006, 10:20 AM
That makes me want another puppy!

PonyKiller87
11-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Yeah whatever you do make sure you kennel train from the begining, if you don't it makes it even harder or impossible to do later.

Hounds will howl more than anything, they hate being left alone. If you have 2 of them its not so bad but they will still destroy stuff.

We have a 3 yr old Beagle (some of you have seen him at different BCM things that weve been too) and a 5 month old Coon Hound. Since we got the coon hound they have destroyed our carpet. They like to sniff and dig like they would if they were outside.

As far as barking goes, they have an electronic device that makes a dog whistle sound when you hit a button on it. you use that to train the dog not to bark when your home and then it has a setting where it turns on automaticly when the dog barks above a set decible level (its adjustable). These are alot better for the dog than a bark collar and from what Ive read they work very well when the dog is trained correctly with it. And there about $20 at fleet farm.

Karps TA
11-15-2006, 10:53 AM
I have a coon hound mix and she had some minor issues at first, mostly with shoes and house plants. After she was about 8 months old that pretty much stopped. I never crate trained her, I don't really like that personally. She broke out of the bedroom I had her in the first day she spent alone, and she didn't do any damage in the house.

Mine doesn't howl at all. But she does bark at pretty much everything that she sees within a 1 mile radius of the house. She has great eye sight.

You also have to be careful with letting them loose since they are scent hounds and will pick up a scent and block out the rest of the world following it.

fireguyrick
11-15-2006, 11:02 AM
As far as barking goes, they have an electronic device that makes a dog whistle sound when you hit a button on it. you use that to train the dog not to bark when your home and then it has a setting where it turns on automaticly when the dog barks above a set decible level (its adjustable). These are alot better for the dog than a bark collar and from what Ive read they work very well when the dog is trained correctly with it. And there about $20 at fleet farm.

Does not work with every dog. Our Weime barked alot, we tried that and it did nothing. We tried the citronella spray ones, he figured out that if he could get through the first 1-2 minutes of barking it would run out of spray. We even went up to an ubber expensive shock collar as a last resort. That just made him bark more.

Rick

PureSound15
11-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Does not work with every dog. Our Weime barked alot, we tried that and it did nothing. We tried the citronella spray ones, he figured out that if he could get through the first 1-2 minutes of barking it would run out of spray. We even went up to an ubber expensive shock collar as a last resort. That just made him bark more.

Rick

My sister tried that with her schnoodle that has seperation anxiety and the even with it turned all the way up on a 9 lb dog she would bark right through it.

Crawlin
11-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Yep, crate train from the beginning. I got one at the WI Humane Society that has a divider so that you can make their area bigger as they get older. They are supposed to be able to move/spin around, but nothing more. Because of this, and the training in it, she's never had an accident in there. She doesn't spend all that much time in there either because she's learned that bathroom is outside. The one part about the crate training, is you have to make it rewarding for them. It may take a bit of the little liver treats even to just get them to go in and back out of it quick. But that's how we taught Niya. Finally she'd go in and eat the treat IN there and with the door closed, she'd be fine. Increase in 10 minute increments every couple hours and by night time a couple days later, dog should be fine

I don't regret one bit ever getting my dog. I was up the first weekend the WHOLE night making sure it was alright. I physically worried myself so much i was throwing up, haha.

But as long as you have the time and understanding that accidents happen, you can get through it. My dog comes right next to me and sits and will yelp just once when it needs to go out. She's fine playing around with her toys when I'm not at home. And nothing beats when you get home from work and she's sitting there at the top of my stairs with her head peaking around the corner waiting for me.

88Nightmare
11-15-2006, 11:33 AM
labs are good dogs. I have a pure bred black lab, 10 months old. best dog ever. period. housebroken real quick (i had him from 8 weeks old) and he has not chewed or destroyed anything in the house. I make sure to keep him stocked up with bones, nylabones, and all sorts of toys to keep himself busy.

Silver350
11-15-2006, 12:06 PM
I dont really care that much about the dog having an accident. I am just more worried about the barking. there is a lot of activity at my appartment. Lots of people going in an out and I dont want them to constantly be barking and piss off the people at home durring the day.

Crawlin
11-15-2006, 12:10 PM
that's true. that's one of the tests the landlord is gonna require before she allows you to even HAVE the dog. my landlord was real pissy about me having the dog(long story) so she was looking for a way out. so she did the doorbell test saying that dogs that bark are not allowed. she rang that doorbell 50 times in a row, and then started pounding on the door. My dog just looked at her like, "WTF is up with this chick?" hahahaha

88Nightmare
11-15-2006, 12:17 PM
if you have patience and know how to do it, you can train the lab however you want. they are smart dogs. my lab, however, I allow to be at a certain level of atentiveness at night. If someone comes in the house fairly late, after 9 or 10, he barks to alert of someones presence. Once he realizes who is coming in, if its a family member or what have you, he quiets down right away.

Cleveland Dave
11-15-2006, 12:23 PM
are siberian huskies are really quiet...except for when an ambulance/police/fire truck goes by they copy the sound and howl. but other then that there very very quiet dogs.

DirtyMax
11-15-2006, 01:33 PM
My lab is going to be 4 in January and she's just now within the last few weeks earned run of the house all-day. We'd try her a few hours at a time and the longer we tested her, sooner or later she'd screw up and chew something she wasn't supposed to.

For a puppy, the safest place for them is in a kennel when you aren't home. It may seem inhumane, etc. to some but it's a hell of a lot more humane than the curious little mutt figuring his way into your cabinet and chewing through a bottle of DranO or wolfing down a package of rat poison you didn't know was there <--(been there done that on this one which is why I'm such an advocate of kenneling a puppy).

But they are very smart trainable dogs. My mom and her friends train dogs and 2 out of her 3 dogs are either labs or lab mixes and they have received alot of awards.

88Nightmare
11-15-2006, 02:06 PM
kennelling is excellent training for a dog. it is not inhumane. it teaches them boundries, makes them house broken, and for some dogs, they actually like being in the kennel. it gives them a secure, enclosed feeling while they relax or sleep. I keep my kennel door closed now, but if I leave it open, I often find my lab or my other pup, a 2 year old lab/boxer mix sleeping in it. The kennel is not inhumane nor is it punishment for the dog, its a teaching tool. hell, even dog breeders recommend kennels. I trust my breeders advice, thats what they do for a living.

anyway, huskies are great dogs as well. The house dog huskies are usually pretty laid back and calm, however they need lots of excersize, as do labs.

Silver350
11-15-2006, 02:13 PM
I dont mind kenneling a dog. eventually I do not want to do that "when the dog gets older." I remember growing up my family just blocked the dog in one room with a dog gate and let them wander in there but my appartment the only rooms I can do that is the bathroom and my bed and I know I dont want them sh*tting on my bed. So I will probally use a kennel.

Requirements at my place is that if the dog is over 90lb you must be in a garden level appartment. I know labs are allowed because there are like five of them that live in my community and I always like labs. The only thing I dont know is if there is a rule on a barking dog but I am sure I would get sick of it.

DirtyMax
11-15-2006, 02:20 PM
They make bark collars. We have them for our dogs. A couple zaps many moons ago and now if they are being mouthy all we have to do it put it on them and they don't make a peep... the batteries are long since died and been removed but they've been "trained"

Prince Valiant
11-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Anyone want an airedale? j/k :goof

here's my guy, gus:

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3891&d=1159046652

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3892&d=1159046652

The hard thing about resueing a 7 month old, is that you can't "mold" them to your needs as easily...not that it's impossible or anything. Gus was 5 months old when I rescued him.

But his house training, kennel training, destructiveness, etc were firmly embedded into his behaviour when I got him...his first owners were clueless, and basically allowed him to be the monster he was.

House breaking took a good 4 months, he never took to the crate (I built him an outdoor/indoor kennel in the garage though), and he still wants to get into a chew, but not nearly as bad as he used to.

Roscoe, who I got at 8 weeks however, was a dream. He loved his crate, chewed only his toys, had NO seperation anxiety, and was housebroken within a week.

Generally, if it's your first dog on your own, I always recommend either a well-trained dog of three-four years of age, or just get the puppy at 8 weeks....if you've got a ton of time and patience, a 7 month old dog would be fine though. Otherwise, it is the most trying, and rewarding experience aside from let's say, having children.

Silver350
11-15-2006, 03:26 PM
I still remember rosco walking around bk eating any thing that was in reach. He was awsome dog.

Slow Joe
11-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Labs can get over 90 lbs!!! Gunner (my black lab) was 125 at one point... That's one big dog!

juicedimpss
11-15-2006, 03:47 PM
the best thing for a puppy is a grown,trained dog by its side.

88Nightmare
11-15-2006, 04:11 PM
the best thing for a puppy is a grown,trained dog by its side.

AMEN! my lab pup takes all his cues from the older dogs in my household.

My lab doesnt bark unless someone knocks on the door, rings the doorbell, or walks up the driveway. hes a good watchdog, but isnt too protective to the point where he barks at every single dog walking past.

EDIT: my lab is 10 months old and weighs in at about 75lbs. Breeder says labs stop growing at about 2 years, but the rate of growth drastically drops off at 8 months

supra213
11-15-2006, 05:40 PM
How about a Doberman Pinscher.... ???? I know a lady that runs a doberman rescue and currently has a black and tan with natural ears and tail.

CruxGNZ
11-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Here's something to do with a dog that is intelligent. My last two German Shepherds I trained using hand signals along with the command. After a while, I just had to call their name, then use my hands to tell them what to do. It was kind of cool :) I like intelligent dogs.

I also agree with kenneling the dog. It works, plain and simple.

In my line of work (construction) I was able to take my dog to work with me all day. They only had to be kenneled when I went out to dinner or somewhere that didn't allow dogs, otherwise they were with me everywhere :)

CruxGNZ
11-15-2006, 06:43 PM
How about a Doberman Pinscher.... ???? I know a lady that runs a doberman rescue and currently has a black and tan with natural ears and tail.
Read this (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/doberman.htm).

supra213
11-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Was asking if anyone was interested in the doberman. Sorry for not clarifying that in my earlier post. I adopted a blue one from her.... greatest dog I have ever had.

Silver350
11-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Dobermans, Rot's, Pit Bulls or any dog that his pretty much been dubbed a aggressive breed is not permitted in my complex.

I always liked German Shepards. My gandfather told me he use to have a couple of him and he trained them with his son who was a vet and the dogs actually would go in the fidge and get them a beer when told to..... I didnt know how much I belived it as I was little but I always thought it was possible.

DirtyMax
11-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Dobermans, Rot's, Pit Bulls or any dog that his pretty much been dubbed a aggressive breed is not permitted in my complex.

Some insurance companies won't even insure your home if you fess up to owning one of these 3 breeds. Not that I agree with it because any dog can be trained but that's just the way it is... :confused

Silver350
11-15-2006, 10:18 PM
I always thought these dogs were aggressive if not properly trained. I only experianced a rot when I was little and the dog was really nice and friendly

fireguyrick
11-15-2006, 10:43 PM
Here's something to do with a dog that is intelligent. My last two German Shepherds I trained using hand signals along with the command. After a while, I just had to call their name, then use my hands to tell them what to do. It was kind of cool :) I like intelligent dogs.

I hate to burst your bubble, but any dog can be trained to hand signals only. Every dog I have owned or my family has owned is trained this way. That being said, I did compete with the two shepards, when I had them, in Schutzhund. It always was fun to see peoples looks when I used German commands at times.

The only thing I can say with Hand commands is make sure you KNOW which ones to use. To many people make up commands on their own. They end up confusing the damn dog with sit and down. Also, alot of people have no clue what Heel really is suppose to be, nor do they know about foot or Front.

Rick

juicedimpss
11-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Some insurance companies won't even insure your home if you fess up to owning one of these 3 breeds. Not that I agree with it because any dog can be trained but that's just the way it is... :confused
i got dropped for my rot
i could have gotten homeowners through a different place for 1400/year

i found a different place it is 500/year,and they are ok with Rots.

CruxGNZ
11-15-2006, 11:36 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, but any dog can be trained to hand signals only. Every dog I have owned or my family has owned is trained this way. That being said, I did compete with the two shepards, when I had them, in Schutzhund. It always was fun to see peoples looks when I used German commands at times.

The only thing I can say with Hand commands is make sure you KNOW which ones to use. To many people make up commands on their own. They end up confusing the damn dog with sit and down. Also, alot of people have no clue what Heel really is suppose to be, nor do they know about foot or Front.

Rick
Not bursting any bubble. Not all dogs can be trained this way. There are stupid breeds or just stupid dogs.

I know what you mean about training. Some people just do not know. Been there.

Seeing a dog trained as yours are is a treat! Brings a smile to my face for some reason... maybe because I'm German :D

Silver350
11-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Well I came accross a dog on the humane society website that is a complete oposite of what I was looking at in terms of size but it would better suit me for my appartment living. I even had my friend that was off of work today go and take a look at her and he said she is very friendly up to date on shots. She is a dog that came from a shelter from down south. She was a stray and has been potty trained and is very good at being in creates also she is very good at playing catch. Her name is Sugar but she does not respond to the name. She is a beagle/pug mix. I am leaving work a couple hours early to take a look at her and see if I will like her enough to take her home.

94greenbandit
11-16-2006, 02:13 PM
I have two labs. One is 4 and the other almost two. I have no woories if I need to leave them in the house alone. They are however outside in a kennel all day unless it is really cold with a wind chill. I just make sure that tehy have plenty of toys in the house and they know what is theirs. I correct them immediately if tehy try fro something that is not theirs. Oh yeah lots of threats help also

juicedimpss
11-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Oh yeah lots of threats help also
what type of threats work the best for you?

94greenbandit
11-16-2006, 02:23 PM
what type of threats work the best for you?

I generally would roll or throw them on their back, hold them by their neck and made sure they were looking at me and tell them no with some possible explitives if my wife wasn't around. Also a swift kick in the ass would help

Cjburn
11-16-2006, 02:25 PM
I have a 9 year old pure bred Black Lab, which I got 3 years ago now when an elderly couple died. She has a couple new habits from me, but mainly has all the old characteristics of her old owners. She came kennel trained, and it's only used now as punishment. She doesn't like it too much anymore. The only time when this dog misbehaves is when she feels I don't pay too much attention to her. This breed LOVES to be the center of attention, and will be one of two choices of breeds in my house (other German Shepard) when we decide to start a family. My family always had labs growing up, and I've been around other breeds as well. Labs in general are fiercely loyal, only aim to please, food obsessed, and stay fairly active throughout their life. However, they do shed pretty heavily, and are (in my opinion) a little on the slow side when compared to a German Shepard.

94greenbandit
11-16-2006, 02:30 PM
I have a 9 year old pure bred Black Lab, which I got 3 years ago now when an elderly couple died. She has a couple new habits from me, but mainly has all the old characteristics of her old owners. She came kennel trained, and it's only used now as punishment. She doesn't like it too much anymore. The only time when this dog misbehaves is when she feels I don't pay too much attention to her. This breed LOVES to be the center of attention, and will be one of two choices of breeds in my house (other German Shepard) when we decide to start a family. My family always had labs growing up, and I've been around other breeds as well. Labs in general are fiercely loyal, only aim to please, food obsessed, and stay fairly active throughout their life. However, they do shed pretty heavily, and are (in my opinion) a little on the slow side when compared to a German Shepard.

I can agree with most of that. One of my labs is not food crazy or an excessive shedder. The other one however, when I buy a new bag of food and start pouring it in the container he eats out of the strweam. That cracks me up. They only eat what they are supposed to but my chocolate is around 90lbs and my yellow is 100lbs. I love big dogs

88Nightmare
11-16-2006, 06:39 PM
I wonder if im feeding my purebred black lab enough food every day. He is about 10 months old, 75lbs. I give him about 2-3 cups in the morning and 2-3 cups in the evening of Eukenuba (breeder recommended) large breed puppy formula. This stuff is supposed to be given until about 2 years of age, then you can switch to adult formula, but does this sound like enough food? He is very very active and energetic and is 100% muscle. Not an ounce of fat on this dog.

Silver350
11-16-2006, 06:54 PM
Well the dog that I went to look at didnt turn out as what I hoped. Sugar a little over a year old Female, Pug\mix (almost appeared to be a shepard mix). Although the dog was very sweet hence the name was very affectionate to the people she met by sitting at their feet and giving lots of kisses. She also got a long great with my friends dog. Which in my eyes is a must, seeing I do watch him from time to time. The thing I found out while I was there that she was a stray. According to the employee at the humane society she had about 3 to 4 litters already and her nipples would probally not go back to normal. And seeing she was a stray that had that many offspring they throught it is very possible she could develope a disease. I want my first dog to last their lifespan and not die from a desease after 5 years. I also didnt feel a connection like this would be a dog I could care for for the rest of their lives. Just felt like I would enjoy her being someone else dog. Rather then my own. So my search will continue probally after the holidays

BadAzzGTA89
11-16-2006, 07:15 PM
I have a yellow lab (White Lab) got him when he was a lil pup he chewed anything not nailed down!
But is a super watch dog and picks up scent too good found possums in the yard by first rubbing his neck in there pooo:fire
But he will still from time to time chew stuff up and he is 6!

Prince Valiant
11-16-2006, 08:20 PM
it's NOT true what they say about dogs having too many liters. Many breeders will have litters every heat cylce (2x/year) until the dog is 5-6 years old. Nor should it affect their nipples...the dog probably just very recently finished weaning off a litter.

I love pugs and pug mixes.

Silver350
11-16-2006, 09:06 PM
it's NOT true what they say about dogs having too many liters. Many breeders will have litters every heat cylce (2x/year) until the dog is 5-6 years old. Nor should it affect their nipples...the dog probably just very recently finished weaning off a litter.

I love pugs and pug mixes.

At the Humane society it is kind of hard to see who knows what or if the people really know all that much. When my friend was there the first guy said to him that she probally only had one litter. The person that was I talked to said multiple liters 3-4. Case of He said he said... All I had to go off of was the word of that person working there when I was there. I was uncertain about it the whole thing today and was undecided I figured it would be best to past now. I dont want to get a animal that I am uncertain and kind of on the fence about seeing it is a long term commitment owning a dog.

This was sugar..... A lot cuter in person.
http://www.wihumane.org/animals/animal.aspx?id=1500983

94greenbandit
11-17-2006, 07:34 AM
I wonder if im feeding my purebred black lab enough food every day. He is about 10 months old, 75lbs. I give him about 2-3 cups in the morning and 2-3 cups in the evening of Eukenuba (breeder recommended) large breed puppy formula. This stuff is supposed to be given until about 2 years of age, then you can switch to adult formula, but does this sound like enough food? He is very very active and energetic and is 100% muscle. Not an ounce of fat on this dog.

Nightmare I think you may be ok with your feedings. Just to give you an example. My dogs get 2 cups(dry food) in the morning and 2 cups at night with a 13oz can of Alpo. They are both over 90lbs and are pure muscle. Just follow the diet requirements on the back of the bag according to their weigth and I think you should be fine. By the way I feed them Eukanuba Maintenance and then Eukanuba Performance during bird season. Seems to work well with them.

Silver350
11-18-2006, 04:45 PM
I will post the whole story later when I get it all typed out and pictures taken.
Yesterday I adopted Sugar. Right now I am really happy she is such a good dog. I am glad I talked to other female dog owners and read somethings on the internet. She really is as sweet as her name.

88Nightmare
11-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Yeah I do the Eukenuba. It was recommended by my breeder, and whats what they feed their litters. So I figured why mess with success? Plus, my dog came from a litter of 3. one male, 2 females. My dog, the male, and another female are fed the same stuff, and they look identical. The other female, is fed something else, and looks a little skinnier and not so muscular. (all the dogs from the litter live in the area so every once in awhile we get the family back together). The pups love it. They get so excited to see their siblings.

stowsea
11-19-2006, 03:04 AM
I have had two Black Labs. both were females. they are very smart, loving dogs. good with people and other dogs. both of mine were good hunting dogs. they like to get into garbage and they NEED to run everyday. Swimming is also a plus. not a good dog to just leave alone all day

94greenbandit
11-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Like I said I have been fortunate where I could leave them in the house all day but they rather be outside in their Kennel. They have enough room to either be left alone or run around a bit in there