PDA

View Full Version : what can you guys tell me about the neighborhood

98whitegpgt
11-14-2006, 08:18 PM
on mitchell st w of 43 and e or layton? im looking at buying a rental property around that area. Good, bad? any one live over there?

88Nightmare
11-14-2006, 10:12 PM
layton and mitchell run parallel, how can mitchell st. be east of layton?

Russ Jerome
11-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Its SE Wisconsin what else can you say...........
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:6by-cL6nSNuisM:http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/photos/london-20041216/santas-ghetto.jpg

Shootings, idiots throwing garbage out there car windows, dirty
lake nearbye you cant swim it, high taxs, corrupt city officials,
pissed off cops and city workers wont give you the time of day
on the phone or in person even tho they get huge retirment plans
and take every holiday off you/I have to work....sorry it may be
ok around there but I kinda doubt it :(

Al
11-15-2006, 03:12 AM
Go a little farther south, about 3 or 4 more miles.

HRSEPLA
11-15-2006, 06:22 AM
Go a little farther south, about 30 or 40 more miles.

Now your talkin.

I have alot of friends with rental properties, and that area would be more hassle than its worth.

Mr. Brett
11-15-2006, 08:45 AM
An address would help narrow it down. But either way, Mitchell St. west of 43 is ghetto...

DirtyMax
11-15-2006, 01:43 PM
layton and mitchell run parallel, how can mitchell st. be east of layton?

I think he means Layton Blvd aka S. 27th St. It's called Layton Blvd. up in those parts between roughly Lincoln Ave. and I-94.

Mr. Brett
11-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. GHETTO.

Feature Pony
11-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. GHETTO.

x2

DirtyMax
11-15-2006, 02:17 PM
That area is faaaar from ghetto. I'm all over the entire City of Milwaukee all day and 27th and Mitchell isn't even that bad. Now if you were asking about buying a rental in say the N. 28th and Center area, I'd laugh.

The Mitchell area up near 27th isn't too bad at all. Now would I want to rely on always getting perfect reliable tenants in that area? Maybe not. But as long as you can afford to be picky and thorougly screen applicants, then why not.

Mr. Brett
11-15-2006, 03:21 PM
I doubt that there are many "reliable tenants" looking to move into that area. And I suppose that my idea of ghetto might differ from yours, but nonetheless, that is a shitty neighborhood.

Karps TA
11-15-2006, 03:38 PM
I lived in that area like 20 years ago and it was pretty ghetto. I can't imagine it's had much of a rebirth.

HRSEPLA
11-15-2006, 05:01 PM
There are different types of ghetto, in your area you are more likely to get stabbed as opposed to north of there are more likely to get shot. get it vato?:) Ask Ian. lol

SSDude
11-15-2006, 07:20 PM
IF the price is right and your willing to put up with a lot of smit why not. It's about profit right?

PB86MCSS
11-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Hope to get peope on rent assistance = garuanteed $.

Lash
11-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Just make sure you pack your gat when you go to check up on some tennants. :)

b18cef
11-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Check it out during the day and at night.
It's not far from a hospital.
I don't think it's all that bad, but I suppose that's all opinion.
If you're a suburbanite, you're probably going to think it's a bit ghetto.
Just stay West of 27 or Layton Ave.
East of there is the riff-raff.

Lash
11-15-2006, 09:05 PM
That whole area is bad. From Miller Pkwy. all the way down to 1st. street (Stenny's WOOT!!!) on both sides of National (I'd say you'd have to go south a good 2-3 miles or so). I used to have to drive through there everyday to go work down at Boys Tech. when we were building they new High school. Peoples cars/trucks were always getting broken into. Not to mention the prostitutes trying to 'sell' to us while walking into work.
Besides that...my sisters ex used to live on 23 and Scott. Not a good area. There is always stuff going down around there.

pOrk
11-15-2006, 10:21 PM
A lot of clueless-ness in this thread, I think I will stay out of it besides my next comment.

You all live very sheltered lives, if you think that is ghetto then you clearly dont know about the norfside ;-)

HRSEPLA
11-16-2006, 07:09 AM
IF the price is right and your willing to put up with a lot of smit why not. It's about profit right?

Excellent point, and very true!
However, its the profit part you must ensure...
The big boom on getting extreme deals on housing is over(but its starting to level out now) and the return on your investment with rent coming in you are lucky to pay your mortgage each month in areas that dont get decent rent. And then you have to factor in the repairs that are INEVITABLE while the renters destroy your property. And the months where they are short on $, need a few weeks, months, etc. to hook up with you...
I see thousands of rentals, renters, owners, and hear both sides...
Bottom line is "Is the risk worth the reward?" and in the right neighborhood with the right tenants it is very profitable!

Lash
11-16-2006, 03:59 PM
A lot of clueless-ness in this thread

Care to enlighten us?

It may be not as bad as the 'Norf Side'.... but its still ghetto enough.

pOrk
11-16-2006, 07:17 PM
Care to enlighten us?

It may be not as bad as the 'Norf Side'.... but its still ghetto enough.

For a sheltered little boy who is scared of Black, Hispanic, Asian, Indians, and even Caucasian people I would say it is a very scary neighborhood to live in :rolleyes:

Lash
11-16-2006, 08:20 PM
For a sheltered little boy who is scared of Black, Hispanic, Asian, Indians, and even Caucasian people I would say it is a very scary neighborhood to live in :rolleyes:

Who said scared? :rolleyes:

I spent a majority of my life living on 76th and Burleigh....and spent many of my summers on 43 and Center. I'd rank the Mitchel and 27th area along the lines of 43rd and center.
I know what 'ghetto' is. Dont be stupid.

pOrk
11-16-2006, 08:22 PM
No, you don't.

BadAzzGTA89
11-16-2006, 08:25 PM
I grew up on 5th a leigh!
I know the Getto!
Thank god i got the hell out of it!(Sounds like a rap song):thumbsup

Lash
11-16-2006, 08:29 PM
No, you don't.

Congrats. You're the first to make it to my ignore list. :yawn:

pOrk
11-16-2006, 08:30 PM
OH NO, NOT THE IGNORE LIST. You still suck at life.

Feature Pony
11-17-2006, 08:58 AM
That area is only going to get worse as time goes on. The hood is moving south and its moving west, as prime Condo builders keep buying the northside properties for cheap cash and putting up million dollar condos.. I know that area is prime for drugs, vandelism and car thefts, I have a bunch of buddies that work that area for MPD district 6..

jbiscuit
11-17-2006, 09:16 AM
the real question isn't what we think about the neighborhood but rather how do YOU feel about it? If you are on the fence about it then I would say keep looking. You want to be comfortable with the situation and the neighborhood. When I was looking at houses, I found some that were nice but I wasn't too sure about the neighborhood...so you keep looking. A rental property can be a good investment if you don't mind all the headaches. And remember, it will have 2 of everything in need of repair!!!! 2 hot water heaters, 2 furnaces etc. It can get pricey if you gamble on an old house!

pOrk
11-17-2006, 09:20 AM
the real question isn't what we think about the neighborhood but rather how do YOU feel about it? If you are on the fence about it then I would say keep looking. You want to be comfortable with the situation and the neighborhood. When I was looking at houses, I found some that were nice but I wasn't too sure about the neighborhood...so you keep looking. A rental property can be a good investment if you don't mind all the headaches. And remember, it will have 2 of everything in need of repair!!!! 2 hot water heaters, 2 furnaces etc. It can get pricey if you gamble on an old house!

Sounds scary when you put it that way, especially with an old house that isn't kept up it means it has alot of potential for repairs!

jbiscuit
11-17-2006, 09:29 AM
^^ yep. If someone put some money back into the house though before you come along you will be OK. My buddy frank has a duplex. Basically the exact same unit upstairs and downstairs. Which in turn means: 2 toilets, 2 fridges, 2 showers etc etc. He has been PRETTY lucky up to this point though. One good thing about a rental though is that the banks will work with you more because you will have guaranteed second income from the rental unit. Like said earlier though, a rental property is VERY dependant on your tenants. If they trash the place or don't pay you rent on time it can be a real headache

Feature Pony
11-17-2006, 01:06 PM
My uncle had a duplex back in 1989 on 9th place right off Lincoln, the neihbor started going down hill back then, but one of his non paying tenants stole everything, even the dry wall, my uncle was going to kick them out and he had the sheriff's dept with him to give them the letter but they already left with half the duplex... Moral of the story be carefull who you rent to, and your renter has more rights that you when it comes time to kick them out.. If I was in your shoes I would look for rental property in South Milwaukee, Oak Creek, Caladonia, etc.. That will probably give you more of a better return.