PDA

View Full Version : House...

Nix
11-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Well not like anyone really cares but I wanted to share my excitment, my wife and I have been looking in to getting a house for a little while now. We are currently paying 800 a month for rent in New Berlin and decided its time to get a house.

We found a company by the name of Brook Stone Homes doing package deals (lot and house one price) in Ixonia. We decided to do it, the name of the model in Monroe, its 1,700 square feet, 3 bedroom, 2 full bath huge bastment. We are adding on a third garage, also along with a handfull of other things such as a "luxury bath" it includes a his and hers sink, a jet tube and a standup glass shower. Also including the AC, water softner, vaulted celiengs in the living room and kitchen. There is more but I just cant think of it right now. All this and more is costing about $225,000. The lot is just shy of a half acre too. We are really excited, this will be our first house.

Also we are raising the bastment walls a foot to make them 9ft vs 8ft incase later on we put a drop ceiling down there, also we are having the plumbing set up and capped off in the bastment incase later on we decide to put a bar down there soe we can have a 3rd bath.:headbang

Thanks for reading my garbage:D

RanJer
11-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Congrats man! Sounds like a pretty sweet set up!

Flicktitty
11-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Sweet man CONGRATS! when does the building get started? it seems like a nerve racking time when my brother was having his house built he was in a real pissy mood.

juicedimpss
11-14-2006, 12:36 PM
congrats,get ready for the fun.

DirtyMax
11-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Cool, congrats. We lived out there in Ixonia/Concord for 1 year. You'll love the country living as long as you don't have to come back to Milwaukee 7 days a week like we did... :(

Nix
11-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Thanks fellas! We are breaking ground in early december. The house will be done at the very latest may 30th. The only annyoing stuff thus far has been going to all the design appointments. I can update and show pictures as soon as it gets under way if anyone wants to see them. :thumbsup

Also the lot that we orignially wanted was too small to fit our house on cause I "needed" the 3rd car garage for my toys:devil . So we had to get a larger lot, there were only 2 to choose from that would fit our house, it was either sacrafice the 3 car garage or get the lot we wanted. But I had to have the extra garage space and the lot we ended up getting is only a few houses away from where we wanted. This devlopment is in pahse 2 of 3 for this home builder in that area. Check out the web site at www.brookstonehomes.com Our house is the Monroe in Ixonia.

I work in broofield and also does my wife both right off the freeway so it will be about a half hour drive for us each way, and I already drive about 20 min each way so its really no different for me, I love driving anyway, and its worht driving a little extra to save tens of thousands of dollars. Property taxes out there a re much cheaper in Jefferson county there in Ixonia versus Waukesha county. Thats another plus.:banana1:

Flicktitty
11-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Thanks fellas! We are breaking ground in early december. The house will be done at the very latest August 30th.
Fixed ;) LOL sounds pretty nice keep us updated i will check out that website too.

Nix
11-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Fixed ;) LOL sounds pretty nice keep us updated i will check out that website too.

See the good thing about that is they have a guarntee, if it goes over the projected date they will pay your current rent/mortgage for up to three months that they go over the move in date.:thumbsup

jbiscuit
11-14-2006, 01:45 PM
nice work Nick....Make sure you read all the fine print. I have heard people get burned when building....good luck man! I'm sure you guys are excited!

Lash
11-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Just make sure you know what you're looking at....otherwise they may try to slide things past you. And get ready for "extras" lol. Sounds like a good deal though. Does that include landscaping, well, and driveway?

b18cef
11-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Looks good
http://www.brookstonehomes.com/images/build_it/elevations/19-classic.jpg

Nix
11-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks fellas, J my wife and I have gone over everything more than 3 times man! Believe me man its been a royal pain but it will be well worth it.

Lash, no it dosent include landscaping and driveway, that will be on our dime but it would be pretty sweet if it came with the deal. But what we are getting for the price Iam not about to complain about having to hire a few contractors to do those things come next summer. Actually if anyone has any recomendations for landscapers or to pour a driveway Im open to suggestions, but they wont be needed till june-august.

b18cef, yup thats the one man, thanks for putting that pic up buddy.:headbang

And again we are totally excited about this, I cant wait!!

juicedimpss
11-14-2006, 03:20 PM
its better to wait a while on the driveway,let the ground settle for a while before you pour concrete....it will last longer.

hrsp
11-14-2006, 03:23 PM
nice..congrats on the house!!!!

Lash
11-14-2006, 03:24 PM
its better to wait a while on the driveway,let the ground settle for a while before you pour concrete....it will last longer.

Plus...if you're going with asphalt...they usually close around thanksgiving for the winter anyway.

Yooformula
11-14-2006, 03:41 PM
congrats!

Max 93
11-14-2006, 04:54 PM
I too am in the process of building a house. The worst part is waiting for things to get started.

Slow Joe
11-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Congrats! We're actually going to be in the market for a fixer-uper very soon... Anyone have a friend that's a real-estate agent or anyone on here one?

Cjburn
11-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Get the driveway done first. Years ago, I did concrete (driveways, patios) and often times if the landscaping was done first, they wouldn't check the height off of the garage slab, and after the driveway was done, the entire side of the driveway was exposed. The landscaping hadn't checked their heights correctly. This way, they'll be able to landscape the inside of the walk, and you won't have paid for extra fill that will have to come out for your patio or walk. Just my opinion...

Crawlin
11-14-2006, 05:26 PM
My sister is a real estate agent for shorewest

That looks sweet. I've always wanted to build first, but I hate daily commutes cause i can't stand traffic. so I'll have to deal with something old for now. one of the things i always thought about, was just getting the most basic stuff first. just the basic things they offer, and remodel over time. that way it isn't such a huge hit right up front. that and with my mind changing, i get 20 different ideas AFTER something's already been finished. but that looks awesome!

Big Boost
11-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Congrats on the house! One thing to remember is to prewire for expansion. It will increase the homes resale value as well as provide you with lower costs for installation versus doing a retro install after all of the drywall is installed. I would consider speaker wire, RG6, lighting, and Cat 5 home runs just for starters.

Korndogg
11-14-2006, 08:21 PM
congrats!!!! I would just like to move out of my parents house ffs.

Slow Joe
11-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Don't use Cat 5 use Cat 6 or higher, and make sure that it's the correct rating for going in walls, I believe that it's plentum that you need to run through walls becasue of fire hazards. Cat 6 will be very flexable for future upgrades and help with RFI interferences and such caused by electrical wiring and coax... :thumbsup

By the way, Cat 6 will cost more, but it's worth it... And as was stated before wire for speakers, etc... possibly even flat screen TVs if you're planning on getting 'em! The more wiring that's behind the wall and cleaner the installation the better it'll be for the future and upgrades.

SSDude
11-14-2006, 09:48 PM
Make sure you use UL rated wire for anything you do. Some of the crap sold at the big box stores isn't UL rated. Building inspectors can be knobs.

Slow Joe
11-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Graybar!!! That's the place to get it!!! They'll have exactly what you're looking for. But it might be a little more expensive or you might have to buy larger lengths! Buy in bulk and sell the extra!

Just a sidenote, when we get our house and are in the process of remodeling, I'm planning on putting a wireless hub on the celiling of each hallway (ground floor and second level) therefore I'm going to cable Cat 6 to the ceiling of each hallway and a outlet close by for power. I know it might be excessive, but you have to remember what you're planning for, and think of the future. Think of all the internet ready appliances of the future... It'll be awesome... [/Dorkness]