PDA

View Full Version : college football... anyone?

VroomPshhTsi
11-10-2006, 02:24 AM
So just seeing what others think about the BCS situation. If Rutgers runs the table and goes undefeated, should they play for the National Championship? I'm a die-hard college football fan, watching almost any televised game I can (I don't leave my couch on Saturdays). Obviously the winner of OSU vs. Michigan in a little over a week will be one of the two teams playing for the title, but much debate is about who the other should be. Either one of the other undefeateds (Rutgers or Boise State, provided the remain unbeaten) or the winner of the SEC (by far the toughest conference). I think Rutgers should go because they played a lot better competition than Boise State (at the time undefeated #3 Louisville and one loss West Virginia). The SEC is tough, so obviously a one loss team from there is still a great team to put in the title game.

Am I just blowing smoke here or are there other true college football fans out there? The Badgers are 9-1 but play their second toughest game of the year tomorrow (at Iowa and probably without Stocco:crying ). Our only loss is to the #2 undefeated Wolverines. So we'll definitely get a good bowl game (either end up 11-1 or 10-2, Buffalo will for sure be a win) which is impressive even with our easy schedule because of new head coach Brett Bielema and we lost a lot of talent last year.

Goat Roper
11-10-2006, 05:48 AM
No, Rutger's shouldn't be in the chanpionship, if they beat Louisville AT Louisville I might change my mind.

Florida would stand the best chance of beating OSU or Michigan at this point.

Wisconsin will most likely beat Iow atomorrow. Iowa is def not the Badger's second toughest team. Iowa played close games all year and when they lost to Indiana in the final minutes it completely broke Iowa's failth in themselves. Iowa even lost to Northwestern by two touchdowns last weekend, at home of all places.

PB86MCSS
11-10-2006, 08:47 AM
No way should Rutgers make it, the Big East is better than people thought but still no where near the level of the SEC or Big 10, etc....

Whoever wins the SEC title game should play the winner of Ohio St./Michigan for a battle of the best teams. This assumes Florida or Auburn wins out...I'm a bit biased toward Florida too :D. If USC wins out it also has an argument. I'm just glad Louisville lost....great game to watch and most importantly helps the title game. It would of been kind of lame if Louisville made it, IMO.

Sounds like Wisconsin will play in the Capital One bowl vs the 3rd best SEC team?

VroomPshhTsi
11-10-2006, 11:02 AM
If you are undefeated, what more can you do to prove you should play for the title? Rutgers beat Louisville when they were undefeated and they will have to beat West Virginia AT WVU. Yes whoever wins the SEC is going to make for a great national title game, but I'm thinking because (assuming they run the table) Rutgers is undefeated, it's not fair to leave them out. Now that's just about being fair, I'll admit I want the SEC winner to play OSU/Michigan for the title, but to be fair to Rutgers I think they have just as much of a right to be there too.

USC had three straight weeks against unranked opponents and they won each of those by one score. USC (which I don't think will win out anyway) doesn't even play a ranked opponent on the road, all these ranked teams they get to play at home.

And Iowa is the second best team (or perhaps the better wording is the second toughest game) we've played. It's would've been Penn State (who needed OT to beat Minnesota) but we got to play PSU at home which was a big help. The Badgers haven't beaten Iowa in 4 years and it's at Iowa.

Goat Roper
11-10-2006, 11:13 AM
If Rutgers defeats WV at WV, I will say they need to be in the BCS

USC is not near as strong this year, I say keep them out of the BCS.

At the beginning of the year, I would agree with you on the Iowa thing, actually right up until about 4 weeks ago. Now, I am a HUGE Iowa fan, I grew up back there and football was a religion, I know the team inside and out and I can say that if Stocco's backup is any bit as good as him, Wisconsin leaves there with a victory Saturday.

VroomPshhTsi
11-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Donovan can scramble pretty good but he is not a good passer by any means. If Stocco doesn't play we will be in trouble (unlike RB where we have 3 good ones) but I still think the Badgers will win.

turbogarrett
11-10-2006, 12:06 PM
The whole college football bowl thing and rankings kind of ruin it for me. A playoff style end of the season would make it better imo, unfortunately because all the $$ the bowls bring in, it will never happen:mad:

Cjburn
11-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Could anyone imagine a Sweet 16 style tournament for college football. Drop 2 weeks of play before conference season started. In a couple years, it would rival March Madness. You don't hear of any place not wanting the 1st and 2nd round of the tourney, neither would you here. Rotate the games among the bowls, hell, have some of the smaller bowls be qualifiers to settle non-conference champ, ranked opponents. The money would skyrocket, if you made each bowl lead to the championship...

PB86MCSS
11-10-2006, 04:19 PM
I would also love a tournament, even if it was 4 or 8 teams to keep the number of games down a bit. Using the BCS and other large bowls as the locations. Surely there would be at least as much if not more money to be made, if that matters ;).

Rutgers beat Louisville when they were undefeated and they will have to beat West Virginia AT WVU.

I know what you are saying but as a Gator fan and also trying to be unbiased I say look at who they played, Florida going 12-1 (or Auburn 11-1 or whatever) with their schedule vs Rutgers at 11-0 with theirs...its hard to say who deserves it more. Its easier to say who the better team is though. Still plenty of games to play, so we shall see :). I'd rather reward a team for having a tougher schedule, opposed to people saying its punishing a team with a weak one. Hopefully Wisconsin schedules at least one good non conference game once their current contracts end.

I remember only a few years ago when Florida was playing FSU and Miami as two of their non-conference games along with the usual tough SEC schedule (when FSU & Miami were top 10-15 teams). It stinks that you know you'll lose 1-2 games a year but it makes almost every week exciting.

VroomPshhTsi
11-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Well looks like Donovan isn't too bad. And Auburn is getting thumbed!! I'll post again about the BCS situation after the game.

VroomPshhTsi
11-11-2006, 02:19 PM
PB86MCSS: I agree with you, that a one loss team SEC team is probably better than a 12-0 Rutgers. Auburn just got upset by a sub-par Georgia team so it's up to Arkansas to win out. Whoever wins the SEC Championship game gets my vote for National Championship game. If Rutgers and Boise State win out it'd be nice to see them play eachother in a BCS game. The thing that sucks is with a 12-0 team, there is nothing more they can do to prove they should be #1 (besides scheduling some better teams, like the Badgers should do in the upcoming seasons).

Badger game was a lot closer than expected and we got lucky with all the dropped balls. After we kill Bufallo next week, we'll end up 11-1 with our only loss to the #2 team. Even with our easy schedule, this is pretty impressive for a new head coach with not a lot of returning starters.

VroomPshhTsi
11-11-2006, 02:26 PM
haha who left me bad rep for making this thread? i just wanted to discuss some good ol' college football, some people have too much fun with this rep thing

PB86MCSS
11-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Watched the Wisconsin and Florida games, now Texas on the verge of losing :D. Nice lazy day...the Florida game was great, can't believe they pulled it out, hopefully it doesn't hurt them in the polls. Donovan did look sharp today, its nice to see a UW QB throw a deeper ball once in awhile, seemed he did it more than Stocco or the typical Badger QB would.

VroomPshhTsi
11-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Yea he did but those deep throws were underthrown and Luke Swan saved his ass on those. Donovan started sharp and slowly faded but had an overall great game (throwing + scrambling, although he leaves the pocket too early).

Why the hell is Zach Hampton still on the team? He is not a good safety and every single game he muffs atleast one punt (did it again today). He has one return more than 15+ yards all season, he's garbage.